The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Love em or hate em ?

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2021, 07:53 AM

Love em or hate em ?

My wife is a very picky eater the list of things she wont eat is about 100 times longer than things she will which is probably why she weighs in at about 105 lbs (also a healthy eater about 95% of the time) junk food for her is pizza and she's not much of a snacker either
This is why it surprises me that she loves WHITE CASTLES !! being from the Chicago area we were raised on them and I love them,
my wife has 7 brothers and sisters and she says it brings her back to the days when it was a big treat for her and her siblings when her dad would bring them home.
Now when I moved to AZ, no sliders OMG I missed them and craved them (the frozen ones from the store were ok but missed the spot for me) so now we have a White Castle in AZ. and the wife and I will make a trip there about once a month, I have to have the double cheese the wife just the plain singles.
I know that not everyone has them available but the question is if you do, do you love them or hate them ? I see reviews from people that have never had them and try them for the first time and think they are a disgusting excuse for a hamburger, others say they are ok but they don't get the almost religious following , others say yeah they are different and tasty , what's your opinion ?
I know back in the day it used to be interesting visits because they are a 24 hour joint and they were the only joint open when the bars closed and the drunks used to be in line "uh hey uhhh I want uhh 5 murder burgers with brakes (brakes is cheese it's the only thing that slows them down on exit) uhh I want 6 gut bombs, those counter people heard every name imaginable for the little buggers . I've even heard them referred to as puke burgers !!
Today is our monthly trip, A lunch instead of dinner trip this time. Double cheese sliders, Heaven !!
Old January 29th, 2021, 08:18 AM

My wife and I love them! We have them all over the St. Louis area and the closest to us is about 10-minutes away. We'll usually get take-out from there about once a month. Double cheese is my favorite too! It's a crap shoot (pun intended) as to how they effect me. One time I'll be fine, and the next time there may be some unwanted after effects. Doesn't stop us from wanting to go back though!
Old January 29th, 2021, 12:10 PM

Tried white castle in my teens never had a reason to go back, not my cup of tea.
Old January 29th, 2021, 01:06 PM

Down here we call Krystal's "Gut bombers"

I've never been to a White Castle, but I think they are similar "mini burgers"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krystal_%28restaurant%29

Old January 29th, 2021, 01:34 PM
Oldsdruid

If I've ever eaten either a White Castle or Krystal slider I don't remember it. Wacky as my guts get sometimes I think I would have! I've seen them at the grocer and thought about trying them. Should I?
Old January 29th, 2021, 01:40 PM

!

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Down here we call Krystal's "Gut bombers"

I've never been to a White Castle, but I think they are similar "mini burgers"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krystal_%28restaurant%29

I have had Krystals and they are very very similar, I never get anything on the burgers no condiments I don't want anything detracting from the greasy goodness !
Old January 29th, 2021, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
If I've ever eaten either a White Castle or Krystal slider I don't remember it. Wacky as my guts get sometimes I think I would have! I've seen them at the grocer and thought about trying them. Should I?
well first off the frozen ones at the grocery store don't have the pickle (pickles must not freeze well) and while sliders do microwave well you have to be spot on on the microwave time as not to ruin the pillowy goodness and the softness of the bun. if you try it I recommend the cheese burgers, but it just aint the same with out the pickle !!
Old January 29th, 2021, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Growing up on the east coast, was just never a fan of White Castle. To be honest, none of the fast food burger chains taste as good as when we were kids.
Old January 29th, 2021, 03:23 PM
Banned

I will throw a vote in for Five Guys. Unfortunately I heard that covid is taking them down too.
Old January 29th, 2021, 03:29 PM

I try and go to that Az one once a month also. I have to go out of my way to get them, but worth it. Getting white castle after drinking helped sober up. Portillo's has killer beef sandwiches.
Old January 29th, 2021, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by solly
well first off the frozen ones at the grocery store don't have the pickle (pickles must not freeze well) and while sliders do microwave well you have to be spot on on the microwave time as not to ruin the pillowy goodness and the softness of the bun. if you try it I recommend the cheese burgers, but it just aint the same with out the pickle !!
Pickles are embalmed cucumbers. I make a stand against cucumber abuse!
Old January 29th, 2021, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by 7314haywood
I try and go to that Az one once a month also. I have to go out of my way to get them, but worth it. Getting white castle after drinking helped sober up. Portillo's has killer beef sandwiches.
Portillo's is opening a new location at Arrowhead !!!!
Old January 29th, 2021, 08:17 PM

My friend and I smuggled in a sack of sliders and cokes and cups of ice and watched the entire Apocalypse Now Redux Edition in...2000, I think it was. Might be the last time I had it.
Old January 30th, 2021, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by 7314haywood
...Getting white castle after drinking helped sober up...
They'd still be open, when we got done partying. I also used to like their Chili, after pouring a bunch of hot sauce into it.
Mexican food was even better, after beer chugs
Old January 30th, 2021, 03:28 PM

Just saw this, hope they work thru this for you Krystals guys. Krystal, a popular fast food chain in the southeastern United States, has filed for bankruptcy. ... The filing revealed that the company has debts between $50 million and $100 million dollars and that its restaurants will remain open during the bankruptcy process.

Old January 30th, 2021, 03:55 PM

Many years ago my wife and I bought a small bag of white castle "mini burgers." We each tried one and didn't like em, so we took the rest home. At the time we had a six year old Doberman that would eat any human food...but she turned her nose up at the white castle offering and walked away looking miffed!
Old January 30th, 2021, 05:06 PM
Oldsdruid

Considering dogs will eat 💩, that don't say a lot for the White Castles!🙂
Old February 8th, 2021, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Considering dogs will eat 💩, that don't say a lot for the White Castles!🙂
Ouch!

I'm with Solly. Grew up around St. Louis and ate the hell out of them back then. Haven't been near one in over 30 years. I have to settle for them from Costco. Nothing beats them fresh though. Wife hates em so just more for me.
Old February 8th, 2021, 08:57 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by Fun71
Pickles are embalmed cucumbers. I make a stand against cucumber abuse!
I don't give them time to suffer! There's always some kind of pickles in the Frigidaire!
Old February 9th, 2021, 04:31 AM

I just don’t understand the appeal of White Castle. I’m guessing the fact that I don’t like pickles at all probably is a big part of it.

I remember my first White Castle experience. I with a friend and his parents late at night, they stopped to get something to eat. The taste of those nasty soggy greasy “burgers” are permanently etched into my mind! Blah.

Maybe they were so disgusting because it was so late, maybe they are better fresh? The idea of eating hours old sandwiches fermenting under a heat lamp for hours just made my stomach turn.

I have never been hungry enough to give them another chance. That was and probably will be my first and only White Castle experience.
Old February 9th, 2021, 06:17 AM
Jeff

We have a White Castle relatively close by (w/in 15 minutes), but I have never wanted to try them. I hate onions, and that seems to be a major draw? Yuck. I am by no means a fast food snob, though. Remember Hot 'n Now in the early 90's? We'd often run thru there after parties / bars in Mt. Pleasant during my CMU days. Home of the $0.29 burger! Not so bad when you're drunk.
Old February 9th, 2021, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer
We have a White Castle relatively close by (w/in 15 minutes), but I have never wanted to try them. I hate onions, and that seems to be a major draw? Yuck. I am by no means a fast food snob, though. Remember Hot 'n Now in the early 90's? We'd often run thru there after parties / bars in Mt. Pleasant during my CMU days. Home of the $0.29 burger! Not so bad when you're drunk.
I forgot about the onions.

I love onion rings, I don’t mind a little grilled onions on a steak, a little onions on pizza, etc. In other words, a little onion goes a long way.
Old February 9th, 2021, 06:49 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by matt69olds
I forgot about the onions.

I love onion rings, I don’t mind a little grilled onions on a steak, a little onions on pizza, etc. In other words, a little onion goes a long way.
Burger King has the best onion rings, hands down. I will throw a whole pizza in the garbage if it has a stray onion on it. As a matter of fact, just thinking about onions on a pizza has ruined my entire morning. Thanks a lot!
Old February 9th, 2021, 08:38 AM

With all due respect to all of my Olds friends that can spell Zamboni without looking it up

The Varsity [in downtown Atlanta] has by far the best Onion rings made with Vidalia onions

Old February 9th, 2021, 09:14 AM

In my opinion, Hardee’s has the best fast food onion rings. Most others just have a strange taste I can’t describe.

Outback Steakhouse has good onion rings, as does Red Robin.
Old February 9th, 2021, 10:32 AM

Love them or hate them (I love them) they are a interesting company, there are no franchises they are still family owned by one family,
they will not open another White Castle until the company has enough money to pay for the property and building so when you see one it is already bought and paid for, they are credited with being the first fast food hamburger company. To supply all the stainless steel food prep counters and stainless equipment they created a company that they own to produce the equipment, they also started and owned the company that produced the paper hats their employees wore (and sold them to other companies as well ) they own the bakery that produces the buns and the plant that produces the beef. They were also one of the first companies to produce a company news letter and provide their employees
benefits which was un heard of in the fast food industry in the early years. the cooking method is unique as the patties actually steam on the layer of onions and cook very quickly due to the 5 holes in the patties while cooking.
and hey you gotta hand it to them, where else can you get the White Castle Wedding Package check it out !!
https://www.google.com/search?source...KiY0owUJTBxWkM
Old February 10th, 2021, 01:06 PM

We had a White Castle in the '90s here in Medina Ohio but it didn't last long, maybe 3 or 4 yrs?? I work nights & every once in a while on the way home I'd swing through the 24 hr drive thru at 5:00am & get a bag of cheeseburger sliders! Now there's a good healthy breakfast!! I found them pretty tasty(after removing the pickles)! Occasionally they have the 2 pack sliders in the vending machines at my plant & I'll buy 'em. I don't eat that much fast food but I do like a Big-mac or double cheeseburger & McDs fries once in a while. They've started opening some Culvers joints around here, they've got some pretty tasty stuff for fast food! My 90 yr old Dad loves their cheeseburgers!!
Old March 29th, 2021, 01:22 PM

We did not have them where I grew up, but I was introduced to them in the late '80s. I loved them immediately! I have lived in Alabama before, and there they had Krystal's--which were sliders. Loved them, too! Anything greasy is usually good!
Old March 29th, 2021, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by mbrandenburg
We did not have them where I grew up, but I was introduced to them in the late '80s. I loved them immediately! I have lived in Alabama before, and there they had Krystal's--which were sliders. Loved them, too! Anything greasy is usually good!
I was out in the Scottsdale Az. area Sat. so I of course had to stop for some Whitey One Bites. As usual the drive up window line was very long
I'm sure a lot of the customers were transplants to AZ. but judging from the line it appears Arizonians are catching on !!
I'm hoping that with the total success of the first AZ White Castle they will build one on my end of town !!!!
Old March 29th, 2021, 02:09 PM

I wish we had them or Krystal's here in Northeastern New Mexico!
I can put `em away!