The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Lansing assembly workers or experts?

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2021 | 09:54 AM

Lansing assembly workers or experts?

I was “lucky 🙄” enough to pass thru Lansing on vacation while the plant was being torn down. I asked one of the demolition guys if I could have some bricks from a few of the buildings. He looked at me kinda funny (I guess nobody ever asked him for souvenirs from a building being torn down?) and drove off. A few minutes later, he handed me a big box of bricks, some of which are proudly on display either in my garage or on my fireplace mantle.

My question, one which I can’t recall asking here, is what was Building 75? The guy told me they came from a pile of ruble from what was Building 75. Some of the bricks have many layers of paint and clean, no oily residue that would be expected if machinery was around.

It would just make my day if that was the assembly area for the A or G body cars, but it’s most likely wishful thinking.

Someone recently posted a video of Fisher Body Plant, anyone know of videos from Lansing with the A or G body cars being built? I’m guessing there is video somewhere, just kinda curious what the place looked like then.
Old January 22nd, 2021 | 03:59 PM

"Setting the Pace" has an appendix listing all Oldsmobile Division buildings by number and includes the year they were built, the year they were razed if they had been razed by the time of printing (1997), building size (L x W), number of stories, and original use.

Building 75 was built in March 1929, was 159 by 729 feet, was two stories tall, and the use is shown as "car storage/shipping."

This photo, which I dug up on the internet, shows building 75 in the background. It is undated, but judging from the cars that can be seen, I would guess late 1940s?

Old January 22nd, 2021 | 05:02 PM
Always room for one more

Matt you are really lucky. I'm a big fan of the Plymouth Valiant, and forty years too late I thought how cool it would be to have a brick from Dodge Main in Hamtramck, MI. That's where all my Valiants were built. Dodge Main was demolished around 1981.

I've done some cursory looking around but haven't found much. The place was a behemoth and vacant, and I think the town was just glad to have it gone.

Old January 23rd, 2021 | 10:06 AM

i have videos in my mind of building the a and g bodys along with the b/c bodys. wish i could transfer them from my head,i know you guys would get a kick out of them. was there from 9 10 76 to 10 of 04. did most jobs except for trim shop.set floor pans,side frames ,doors, lids, metal finish, paint, sealer, paint repair,. even helped paint inside of the building in 84. interesting place,loved every moment of it. i have a brick from the north end of fisher body,was trim shop then