The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Kids these days

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2015, 05:28 PM

Kids these days

The world is going down hill. Lol. Stopped at an auto parts store. Guy runs parts for cutlass. He stands there for a good minute. ..then looks at me with a lost look on his face and says he can't find cutlass. ...who makes that.....😮

My old man instantly came to mind and I had to drop a "bless your hart" on him
Old May 3rd, 2015, 01:45 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I wonder how many older car guys back in the '50s or '60s were telling their buddies, (in a bar, or over the garden fence, not online or by text ), how they went to the parts store and the kid looked at them blankly when they asked for parts for their LaSalle or Oakland..........

Roger.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 05:13 AM

try to get timing cap for your Hoyt-Clagwell tractor!

I have had counter folks IN LANSING fail to recognize what a 442 is or what maker to look under.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Or something as simple as parts for an AMC Jeep CJ. All the kids now think they were made by Chrysler.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 08:48 AM

I learned to drive on an AMJ CJ7. I miss that old rustbucket.

I usually just lead off with "67 Olds" then answer their questions to narrow it down.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 09:08 AM

Ha! I just went through a similar scenario at the one of the chains, trying to get a carb gasket.

"It says it's fuel injected"

"Uhmnn, I'm pretty sure it's carbureted."

"Do you have the car here, so we can look at it?"

Yikes!, lol!
Old May 4th, 2015, 04:48 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

If you pay peanuts, you will get monkeys.......

Roger.
Old May 4th, 2015, 05:23 AM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by Vandy
My old man instantly came to mind and I had to drop a "bless your hart" on him
I'll bet you a Co-Cola that went over his head too!

Round here, you really want to lay down the subtle "you're a dumbass and it shows" insult, it's "Bless yore bitty heart..."
Old May 4th, 2015, 09:53 AM

"I learned to drive on an AMJ CJ7. I miss that old rustbucket."

I can help you out there.

Rusted 83 CJ7 with nearly new rebuilt 6-cyl engine
Old May 4th, 2015, 10:32 AM

Whenever someone wants to talk 'classic cars' with me and thinks that an '84 Civic qualifies ... I ask his opinion of the Hupp Skylark. Usually ends the conversation in a hurry.
Old May 4th, 2015, 10:42 AM
Rocketeer

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Or something as simple as parts for an AMC Jeep CJ. All the kids now think they were made by Chrysler.
And the bigger whippersnappers think that Jeeps were made by AMC.
Old May 4th, 2015, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Well we can go all the way back to ****** - Overland, for the real old codgers.
Old May 4th, 2015, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by rustyroger
I wonder how many older car guys back in the '50s or '60s were telling their buddies, (in a bar, or over the garden fence, not online or by text ), how they went to the parts store and the kid looked at them blankly when they asked for parts for their LaSalle or Oakland..........

Roger.

This. Some Cutlasses are over 50 years old. Cant blame the average parts chain guy to know every car. I avoid chain auto parts anyway because of this.
Old May 5th, 2015, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Octania
"I learned to drive on an AMJ CJ7. I miss that old rustbucket."

I can help you out there.

Rusted 83 CJ7 with nearly new rebuilt 6-cyl engine
Mine still exists, my old man's mechanic has it. 304 V8.

Prof, I know the Hupp brand as a brand, but that's about it. You'd have me on that one.
Old May 5th, 2015, 10:38 AM
Rocketeer

Kids. I just got back from voting in the local primary. The election officers were two middle aged ladies accompanied by a pack of acne-faced teenagers. The kids thought the new iPad-based voter recognition system was so cool -- the iPad was all they wanted to talk about. they even asked me what I thought of the ipad. I told them it had no replaceable battery, a low resolution screen, inadequate storage, a lame-*** CPU, and no keyboard. It's not a computing device, it's a toy with limited utility.

They looked at me like I had horns.

One of them comments that the iPad helps them to help people who don't know their precinct number, and direct them to the right room. I point out to them that an iPad isn't necessary for that, as the precinct information is printed on the voter registration card.

So I hand them my ID. One of them questions me about it and asks if I'm a resident. I point out that my license has a gold star at the top, which makes it a Secure ID. I ask them if they know what the Secure ID certification means. One of them comments that it's something "silly." Apparently the people who check voter ID don't care to know that to get a Secure ID card you have to provide documentation of your identity, SSN, lawful status in the USA and your state residency. It requires a minimum of 5 documents, and it's a PITB to go through. You'd think that someone who is charged with ID verification might know these things.

They stick my ID in front of the iPad camera, it reads the bar code, puts my name on the screen, accepts my signature, and then it locks up and needs to be rebooted. We had to power it off and start all over.

Kid: "Oh, the software needs an update."
Bob: "Same thing last year. iPad system still doesn't work."

The kids think that everything Apple is cool -- apparently the worms in the Apple don't bother them. Teens all want to have one. It's a status symbol to them.

Today my ability to vote was hampered by the poor quality of some guy's iPad app. I hope that someday our ability to get parts will not depend on the quality of some guy's iPad app. Most parts counter apps already don't recognize any Super 88 prior to 1963.

Last edited by bob p; May 5th, 2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Close, to get parts today you have to have the information pop up on a parts store computer screen so the pointy haired kid behind the counter can figure it out. Think of the issues that arise when your dealing with things out of the ordinary where you the customer have to tell them where to look for a part that your after in non stock applications.
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:09 AM
Rocketeer

I already have that problem. I want to AutoZone to buy a starter for my 62 Super 88. I already knew the correct starter for the application, as the Remy rep gave me the AutoZone part number for the Remy starter for my application. The kid typed in 62 Super 88 and he found no starter because 1962 Super 88 isn't in the database. Knowing their database craps-out at 1962 I told him to search for 63 Super 88 and the part number came right up.

If the database is wrong, then you have to know more than the programmer who put the data into the database, or you're screwed. Today the guy running the parts-counter app has no chance of knowing these things on his own.
Old May 5th, 2015, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Mine still exists, my old man's mechanic has it. 304 V8.

Prof, I know the Hupp brand as a brand, but that's about it. You'd have me on that one.

Sure looks like another car, doesn't it?
Old May 5th, 2015, 01:24 PM

Graham Hollywood

Old May 5th, 2015, 01:47 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Roger.
Hire clowns, you get a circus.
Old May 5th, 2015, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Hupp and Graham bought all the tooling from Cord, and converted to rear wheel drive.
Old May 5th, 2015, 03:19 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I thought when you paid peanuts you got elephants.

- Eric
Old May 5th, 2015, 03:25 PM
Rocketeer

I thought when you paid in bananas you got monkeys.
Old May 5th, 2015, 03:25 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by bob p
I ask them if they know what the Secure ID certification means.
Wow. Now I know what Secure ID means, too.

What's the point of it?

They stick my ID in front of the iPad camera, it reads the bar code, puts my name on the screen, accepts my signature, and then it locks up and needs to be rebooted.
So, wait a minute. You have to not only give them an ID in order to vote, but they have to scan it with a computer and you sign it electronically?

Wow, I would be leery of that.

Around here, the old lady looks your name up in the big book and you sign next to your registration signature.
It was exactly the same for all the years I lived in NYC and in upstate NY; old lady, big book.

If there's no paper trail, how do you know that some other pimply kid didn't just hack the system and vote for you?
(Incidentally, the NY Times had quite an article about how easy it is to hack certain electronic voting machines a few weeks ago...).

- Eric
Old May 5th, 2015, 03:26 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I thought when you paid in bananas you got monkeys.
I dunno. I thought you got gorillas.

- Eric
Old May 5th, 2015, 03:43 PM
Rocketeer

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Wow. Now I know what Secure ID means, too.

What's the point of it?
Most Americans haven't kept up with this. When you get arrested your Secure ID will prevent you from being placed into one of the many Immigrant Detention Centers that they're building across the USA. According to law, if you can't prove citizenship when you get incarcerated, you go do one of the Immigrant Detention Centers, and they may keep you there for an indeterminate period, unless they plan to deport you. Think of it as the Hotel California.

So, wait a minute. You have to not only give them an ID in order to vote, but they have to scan it with a computer and you sign it electronically?

Wow, I would be leery of that.

Around here, the old lady looks your name up in the big book and you sign next to your registration signature.
It was exactly the same for all the years I lived in NYC and in upstate NY; old lady, big book.

If there's no paper trail, how do you know that some other pimply kid didn't just hack the system and vote for you?
(Incidentally, the NY Times had quite an article about how easy it is to hack certain electronic voting machines a few weeks ago...).

- Eric
Yeah -- I don't like it.

The last year that they had the paper books, I noticed that may father -- who had already been dead for 15 years -- was still in the voter registration book. Apparently, he was still voting. When I saw his name above mine in the book, I printed the word "DECEASED" in the box for his signature. That *REALLY* pissed off the election judge. I was thinking that it would have been simple enough for my Dad to continue to vote as long as that box was left open.

I don't think the electronic system makes it any easier to stop cheating. Like you said, in some respects it might be easier for elections to have a faked outcome.

As they say, in Chicago, "Vote early and vote often."

... or as Stalin said:

"It is enough that the people know there was an election. The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Old May 5th, 2015, 04:50 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

When you get arrested your Secure ID will prevent you from being placed into one of the many Immigrant Detention Centers that they're building across the USA.
I don't get arrested all that often, so I guess I'm cool without one.

And as a certified Old White Guy, I doubt anyone would even consider deporting me (the kids today call that "white privilege"), but I guess if they did, I wouldn't mind a free trip to Ireland, Germany or Italy.

My wife could always mail me my passport... Or would she....??

- Eric
Old May 5th, 2015, 05:08 PM

Here you have to provide your official birth certificate and a utility bill when you renew your drivers license. Once you get the secure ID you only need a utility bill to show current address.
The voting is a real mess across the country, to say nothing of the amount of social security checks written each year to people over the age of 100.
Old May 5th, 2015, 05:13 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yeah, when they reach 100, they should cut 'em off - Enough, already.

- Eric
Old May 5th, 2015, 05:31 PM
Rocketeer

And as a certified Old White Guy, I doubt anyone would even consider deporting me (the kids today call that "white privilege"), but I guess if they did, I wouldn't mind a free trip to Ireland, Germany or Italy.
Old white guy? You might get a free one-way trip to Belarus.

I think you missed an important point -- If you can't PROVE citizenship, you go to the Imigrant Detention Center. Period. If you are an alien, you might get deported, but then you might not. You may just sit there for months on end, or get a permanent job at the for-profit privatized institution for 10-cents an hour. Think of it as the American equivalent of the labor camps.

If you're not an alien then maybe there's nowhere to deport you to... but you still get to work for 10-cents an hour until you can prove your citizenship. You'd better hope that your wife brings your passport because if she doesn't, you could be in for a long vacation.

These are privatized, for-profit institutions that get paid by the number of people they keep there. They use captive labor, and pay substandard wages. They have no incentive to transfer you out. It's quite an abhorrent situation. The abuses are well documented. One of the major private prison companies just bought hundreds of acres of land in my town. Our community is fighting at the grass roots level to keep them from building the detention center, but all the politicians see are dollar signs.
Old May 5th, 2015, 06:31 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If you can't PROVE citizenship, you go to the Imigrant Detention Center.
But then who can really PROVE he was born here, right?

I mean, the only real PROOF is my birth certificate, which has exactly zero identifying information that relates to me right now.
I used the birth certificate to get the passport.
So, really, the passport may well be fraudulent as well, right?
And let's say I do have my passport - I hand it to the officer, who then... puts it in his pocket.
Bang! No proof.

Welcome to the USA.

- Eric
Old May 5th, 2015, 07:32 PM

We don't have any "secure id" here in Indiana & I don't believe that they will deport you or take you to a detention center if you can't prove citizenship. I have a good friend/neighbor & he has never mentioned anything about things like this? I've never been arrested....yet.... so I can't say for sure. I know Indiana is a bit behind the left & right coast on things like this so maybe it's coming our way?
Old May 5th, 2015, 08:12 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
I know Indiana is a bit behind the left & right coast on things like this so maybe it's coming our way?
The Maine legislature explicitly refuses to participate in the Federal ID standards, as the whole concept is un-American, and has received a dispensation from the Federal government for each of the past few years, so that Mainers can fly on US airplanes without the "proper" ID.

- Eric
Old May 5th, 2015, 08:48 PM

I think you missed an important point -- If you can't PROVE citizenship, you go to the Imigrant Detention Center. Period.
This does not happen. Here in Arizona we have lots of real illegal immigrants and law enforcement is NOT ALLOWED to check their immigration status if/when they are arrested. There have been federal lawsuits PREVENTING this.
Old May 5th, 2015, 08:53 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Fun71
This does not happen.
Maybe not, but I think I'm going to start carrying a toothbrush and a change of underwear, just in case.

- Eric
Old May 6th, 2015, 04:18 AM

Yeah, when they reach 100, they should cut 'em off - Enough, already.

- Eric
Old May 6th, 2015, 04:21 AM

Sorry, link did not post. Inspector General audit of social security shows 6.5 MILLION recipients over 112 years old. Ain't that many people that age.
Old May 6th, 2015, 05:29 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I'd like to see that link. Sounds like hogwash.

- Eric
Old May 6th, 2015, 05:44 AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ecurity-fraud/

http://www.newsmax.com/US/ssa-audit-.../10/id/629253/

http://national.suntimes.com/nationa...ecurity-audit/

http://union-bulletin.com/news/2015/...y-numbers-not/
Old May 6th, 2015, 06:33 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Thank you.

Originally Posted by m371961
Sorry, link did not post. Inspector General audit of social security shows 6.5 MILLION recipients over 112 years old. Ain't that many people that age.
Unfortunately, that's not what the articles say.

Thousands of workers over the age of 100 applied through the U.S. government to verify their employment eligibility in recent years.
They didn't apply for Social Security.
They used dead people's Social Security numbers when they applied for JOBS.

A recent watchdog review found that at least 6.5 million active Social Security numbers belong to people who are at least 112 years old... Only 35 living individuals worldwide had reached that age as of October 2013...
one individual opened bank accounts using Social Security numbers for individuals born in 1869 and 1893.
... nearly 3,900 Social Security numbers were run through the U.S. government’s E-Verify system for people more than a century old between 2008 and 2011.

So, people are using dead people's social security numbers to evade taxes and to get jobs when they're not legally able to work.

We know this already. We've known this for years.

And it doesn't say that 6.5 million numbers are being used illegally, only that there are that many numbers in the system that the SSA hasn't reclassified as "inactive" (which means they are "active").
The numbers being used illegally are stated in the article to be much lower.

So, yes, hogwash. The Inspector General's audit DOES NOT show 6.5 MILLION recipients over 112 years old.

- Eric

Quick Reply: Kids these days