The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Its time to truck shop for a 2014/2015

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2014, 01:58 PM

Its time to truck shop for a 2014/2015

Hi guys,

I hope everyone had a Great Christmas! Its time to replace my previous Chevrolet, it was a 2010 crew cab LTZ, and it has been very problematic, the Chevrolet before that was a great truck, so I'm not holding it against the brand they all make good ones and bad ones.
I only need a 1/2 ton, crew cab 4wd, I do like leather interior because of teenagers and my Boxer doggies love going for rides, the leather makes it easier to clean up.
I am not brand driven when it comes to new trucks, I like Ford, I have owned several, I like Chevrolet, in my dealings the Fords have been a bit more dependable but this year I am considering stepping out into a new realm ..........Dodge, has anyone driven the 2014/2015 Ecodiesel?
Fuel economy is a big deal to me maybe number 1, ride/drive/comfort number 2, reliability would be up there in 1 or 2 but who really knows anymore?
I recently drove all three trucks, I can say the Chevy feels light years better than my 2010, the Ford Ecoboost is a flat out rocketship of a truck, and the Dodge actually rode and drove better than both, the mileage is what got me, driving the Dodge I got on avg, 30.5 mpg, flat ground on the highway cruise on 68-70.
My current truck gets 13.8 avg on the same route!

I don't want to start a big argument, just wondering what you guys think? your experiences?
Old December 28th, 2014, 02:25 PM

My neighbor has the Dodge 4dr ecodiesel (2014 I think) and he really likes it. I like it too - drives nicely. Only issue he had was an exhaust heat sensor which was fixed under warranty. He has been impressed by the mileage, over twice what his prior truck's cummins got.
He had no issue with his prior Dodge except for low mileage.
Personally I think Dodge has the best looking truck out there. Least diesel exhaust smell, too. I can get some mpg numbers from him if you'd like.
Old December 28th, 2014, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
My neighbor has the Dodge 4dr ecodiesel (2014 I think) and he really likes it. I like it too - drives nicely. Only issue he had was an exhaust heat sensor which was fixed under warranty. He has been impressed by the mileage, over twice what his prior truck's cummins got.
He had no issue with his prior Dodge except for low mileage.
Personally I think Dodge has the best looking truck out there. Least diesel exhaust smell, too. I can get some mpg numbers from him if you'd like.

That would be awesome, I never thought I would be even considering a Dodge but these new ones really seem top notch!
Old December 28th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Administrator

I have not driven the Dodge 1/2 ton diesel yet. From what I hear it's a very good pkg. Not a fan of the Ford ecoboost, I think the 5.0 is better for the money. Gm is a good truck but as in recent years, the electrical systems are still problematic. All in all no one builds a Quote "bad truck". Go with what you like.
Old December 28th, 2014, 03:03 PM
car guy

The Chevy is too new to give an opinion on. The highest mile ones I have had in are only in the 30K mile range so no pattern on major issues yet.
I have heard a lot of issues with the Ecoboost Ford so if you want the Ford get the V8
I have not heard anything about the Dodge yet but I will say 98% of all problems I get with the new Chevy diesel trucks is related to the BS def fluid and emissions that are forced to be on these new diesels. That is why a clean low mile 07-10 Duramax truck will sell for dang near what a new one. I would take a wait and see aproach on an all new diesel.

Here is what I am doing for my new truck. 85 Chevy crew cab with a Cummins 6bt swap. It will do anything a new truck will do and get 20+ MPG. I'll have 10K in the whole thing when it's done. Mostly cosmetics to do left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
WP_002225.jpg (78.9 KB, 49 views)
WP_002226.jpg (75.9 KB, 42 views)
Old December 28th, 2014, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I have not driven the Dodge 1/2 ton diesel yet. From what I hear it's a very good pkg. Not a fan of the Ford ecoboost, I think the 5.0 is better for the money. Gm is a good truck but as in recent years, the electrical systems are still problematic. All in all no one builds a Quote "bad truck". Go with what you like.

I have gone through several sensors, SERIOUS traction control issues and 2 computers in 52k miles....point well made

Originally Posted by gearheads78
The Chevy is too new to give an opinion on. The highest mile ones I have had in are only in the 30K mile range so no pattern on major issues yet.
I have heard a lot of issues with the Ecoboost Ford so if you want the Ford get the V8
I have not heard anything about the Dodge yet but I will say 98% of all problems I get with the new Chevy diesel trucks is related to the BS def fluid and emissions that are forced to be on these new diesels. That is why a clean low mile 07-10 Duramax truck will sell for dang near what a new one. I would take a wait and see aproach on an all new diesel.

Here is what I am doing for my new truck. 85 Chevy crew cab with a Cummins 6bt swap. It will do anything a new truck will do and get 20+ MPG. I'll have 10K in the whole thing when it's done. Mostly cosmetics to do left.

I cannot get crap straight on my Olds project, I can't start another one....lol
Good points made as well, although the Dodge has been out since late13/early14 I have read up on some of the forums, not a lot of problems, mostly minor service or update stuff. I wasn't aware of major issues with the Ecoboost? Whats going on there?
Old December 28th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Lansing built

I just picked up a new silverado crew 4X4 the other day, still to early to tell, we have all of the so called american makes at work. Most seem reliable till they reach around 200K and then the electrical goes to heck. The Ford has been the worst with horn going for no reason about twice a year since new? Inside cab lights bulb has been pulled, constantly on no matter the switch position. Also had electrical fuse block melt down, not sure if that was a trailer problem?

Pat
Old December 28th, 2014, 03:42 PM

Something to think about, I don't know about your neck of the woods but right now where I live the cost of diesel is quite a bit higher than regular gas so factor that in when you say "this vehicle gets xx miles to the gallon" it's not apples to apples.
Another point, I don't know anything about these new generation diesels but the older ones the maintenance costs were much higher than a gas engine. I've never owned one but my buddy did and an oil change alone seemed to cost him double what it cost me
Old December 28th, 2014, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by 1970cs
I just picked up a new silverado crew 4X4 the other day, still to early to tell, we have all of the so called american makes at work. Most seem reliable till they reach around 200K and then the electrical goes to heck. The Ford has been the worst with horn going for no reason about twice a year since new? Inside cab lights bulb has been pulled, constantly on no matter the switch position. Also had electrical fuse block melt down, not sure if that was a trailer problem?

Pat
WOW Pat, that sure is one mighty fine looking truck, as a matter of fact I would want that color or the bright red myself.
Like I said I drove a 14 Silverado, and have rode in a couple, they are light years ahead of my 2010. My 2010 is a 5.3, LTZ with the cylinder shutoff technology (whatever its called) I live in Western NC, lots of mountains here, I AVG 13.8 MPG which really eats the fuel, I hope its a problem with mine but the dealerships say that's common in our area, so it scares me to think I would buy another truck that will get that MPG..... I'm still debating all brands, but leaning Dodge way, BUT the dodge is going to cost me 4-5 k more, so is it worth it? Diesel is normally about .60-.70 more per gallon here.
Old December 28th, 2014, 03:52 PM

Good and valid points regarding reg. unleaded vs. diesel. I have a '14 hemi and am extremely happy with it's looks and performance. The dual exhaust makes it sound awesome when getting on it a bit.
Attached Images
IMG_0159 (2).jpg (104.5 KB, 30 views)
Old December 28th, 2014, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Grumbler
Something to think about, I don't know about your neck of the woods but right now where I live the cost of diesel is quite a bit higher than regular gas so factor that in when you say "this vehicle gets xx miles to the gallon" it's not apples to apples.
Another point, I don't know anything about these new generation diesels but the older ones the maintenance costs were much higher than a gas engine. I've never owned one but my buddy did and an oil change alone seemed to cost him double what it cost me
Your right, diesel here is .60-.70 more per MPG, as far as oil change I think Chevy recommends every 3,000 and 5.5 qts, the dodge is 10,000 miles and 11 qts, so it sounds comparable, I think the diesel oil filter is pricey at 18.00 ea but I am sure they will come down. Then you have to Run DEF fluid in the Dodge, so it is a little more expensive to operate.
Old December 28th, 2014, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by boese1978
Good and valid points regarding reg. unleaded vs. diesel. I have a '14 hemi and am extremely happy with it's looks and performance. The dual exhaust makes it sound awesome when getting on it a bit.

Sharp looking HEMI, There is that color again!
Old December 28th, 2014, 04:39 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

2014 F150 Crew Cab, 5.0 litre 4x4.....71000 miles with no issues. ...my experience thus far.....
Old December 28th, 2014, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by sammy
2014 F150 Crew Cab, 5.0 litre 4x4.....71000 miles with no issues. ...my experience thus far.....

Is that a Coyote ?
Old December 28th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Lansing built

I have access to both GMS and Chrysler/Fiat supplier discounts 10% for GM only 4% for Chrysler. I like the look of the Ram when the big horn package is selected. With you living in hill country that 8 speed might hunt worse than the six speed from GM? I am short and so is the wife, the Rams seem to be taller even though nerf bars solve that problem but working on them will be a pain on either.

Both price pretty equal when equipped with the same items.

20% off on select 2014-2015 GMC and Chevys. With beat down and all discounts I received about 12K off the sticker on mine. I can usually get better than published fuel mileage, I drive like gramps. Easy on and coast as much as possible! I guess we should avg. around 20 MPG?

I grew up with Oldsmobile here, so that make me a hardcore GM guy and friends/family being retired GM makes it a no brainer only unless I want to get hung.

Good luck with your decision!

Pat
Old December 28th, 2014, 04:53 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by real57vetteguy
Is that a Coyote ?
In the dark on this one...what do you mean by " coyote"?
Old December 28th, 2014, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by sammy
In the dark on this one...what do you mean by " coyote"

The 5.0 engine, I know the mustangs are a Coyote, is the truck the same?
Old December 28th, 2014, 05:15 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

The 5.0 engine, I know the mustangs are a Coyote, is the truck the same?
Yes, it is the same 5.0 litre as in the Mustang....
Old December 29th, 2014, 06:25 AM

I have pretty much the same setup - 2012 F150 Supercab 4x4 with the 302 Coyote V8 that now has about 36,000 miles on it. Right after I got it I drove it from KS to WA and trailered a '70 442 convertible back to WI before returning to KS. Got great fuel mileage and couldn't believe how well it handled the Rockies even while towing a heavy car. I have had absolutely no issues with it and highly recommend it.
Old December 29th, 2014, 08:10 AM
Getting There

our newest fleet truck is the dodge 1500 eco diesel….. crazy fuel milage nothing comes close

had the def tank freeze on it but we have extreme temps here. you can't really here it run… I can't stand the dial shift on them though.

if your keeping it for 10 years i would say diesel… if not buy a gasser not worth the extra cost… I am a die hard diesel guy but it is getting cost prohibitive nowadays
Old December 29th, 2014, 08:39 AM
Administrator

What sucks about the new diesels is all the smog crap on them now as Richard stated above. Like I said earlier, the Dodge hasn't been around long enough to make a long term assesment.
Old December 29th, 2014, 10:32 AM

The new small (6cyl?) Dodge diesel is also a Cummins though, right? So, you have a good diesel company behind it.

Last edited by 1969w3155; December 29th, 2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old December 29th, 2014, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
The new small (6cyl?) Dodge diesel is also a Cummins though, right? So, you have a good diesel company behind it.
It is not a Cummings, it is a VM motori, which is an Italian based diesel but it has great reviews
Old December 29th, 2014, 03:29 PM

Cummins

It is not a Cummings, it is a VM motori, which is an Italian based diesel but it has great reviews
What the hell is a Cummings? This two-time Cummins owner wants to know.

the new small displacement Cummins diesel will be offered in the Toyota and Nissan pick ups soon as RAM did not want it.
Old December 29th, 2014, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
What the hell is a Cummings? This two-time Cummins owner wants to know.

the new small displacement Cummins diesel will be offered in the Toyota and Nissan pick ups soon as RAM did not want it.
Sorry for the misspell, I'm not knocking Cummins by no means whatsoever it's an awesome power plant
Old December 29th, 2014, 05:21 PM

That would be awesome, I never thought I would be even considering a Dodge but these new ones really seem top notch!
My neighbor told me that the ecodiesel's advertised numbers are pretty close if you stay at the speed limit. He gets about 23 city, 27 highway when being easy on it. Highway drops to 25 at 85 pulling a big trailer he says.
Now he is in a construction biz and the truck gets city-slogged and idled a lot with the AC on in our TX summers.

Originally Posted by 1970cs
I just picked up a new silverado crew 4X4 the other day, still to early to tell,

Pat
That is a sweet looking truck! Looks to surpass Ram in my view! Kinda looks like a modern comeback of the mid-80's style, which is my true favorite. That color looks great, too. Kinda makes me want one.........
Old December 29th, 2014, 06:37 PM
Lansing built

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
My neighbor told me that the ecodiesel's advertised numbers are pretty close if you stay at the speed limit. He gets about 23 city, 27 highway when being easy on it. Highway drops to 25 at 85 pulling a big trailer he says.
Now he is in a construction biz and the truck gets city-slogged and idled a lot with the AC on in our TX summers.

That is a sweet looking truck! Looks to surpass Ram in my view! Kinda looks like a modern comeback of the mid-80's style, which is my true favorite. That color looks great, too. Kinda makes me want one.........
Thanks, I date coded that truck being produced in May 2014 so dealer was sitting on it for better than five months! They took another thousand off for switching from double to crew. We added the chrome nerf bars, chrome side moldings and soft folding tonneau cover. Chrome door handle covers and weather tech quick install mud flaps are on the way.

My wife will be driving to work only four miles a day so it should only have only 3-4000 miles a year put on it. I put 13K on my daily 4 CYL. "14" Impala and another 1000 with the Alero and 800 with the 70 Supreme.

Funny side bar, the truck is an 8 CYL. with single outlet exhaust and the Impala with 4 CYL. has dual exhaust outlets.

Pat

Last edited by 1970cs; December 30th, 2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old December 29th, 2014, 09:37 PM

I had forgotten about the Italian diesel, I had originally read about it in AutoWeek, so, no small Cummins diesel in the Ram. Probably not so much as Ram not wanting it, as parent Fiat had other ideas.
Old December 30th, 2014, 07:42 PM

re

I went ecodiesel....200 miles today not broke in...28.5 on the highway and 21 around town...loving it
Old December 31st, 2014, 04:22 AM
Getting There

I don't think you will de disappointed …. congrats on the new truck
Old December 31st, 2014, 05:39 AM

Hello,
I went through this same dilemma a few months ago. My old ('87) F150 was showing its age and I decided it was time to get a new truck. I'm a GM guy but haven't liked the GM styling for some time now. I looked into the new F-150 but don't like the styling and the guys around here (also western NC) had no intention of budging off of high sticker prices.
I always said I'd never own a Chrysler product but while test driving a used ('12) GMC truck I decided to test drive a used ('12) Ram they had. Absolutely no comparison. The Ram truck is hands down the best driving and handling of the big three. I ended up buying a '14 with the 5.7L Hemi and 6 speed AT (also the dark red color). I figured this was a bullet proof powertrain combination (still not sure of the reliability of the new 8spd ZF trans). I drove an 8 speed AT for comparison and it was extremely smooth. No hunting.
So far I'm averaging between 20 and 23mpg and loving every minute of it. I agree with one of the comments above regarding how long you plan to keep it vs. diesel/gas decision.
You will certainly find the diesel more expensive to buy, drive and maintain and filling the aftertreatment fluid has got to be a major pain - especially if you go on a trip and are unsure of where to refill. All of the new emissions regulations (more coming every day) are killing these diesel trucks. The initial cost is ridiculous and reliability/dependability are marginal, to say the least. Why do you think the used diesels from a few years ago command such a premium? They have tremendous street value due to their lack of this questionable equipment.
Best of luck.
Old December 31st, 2014, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by acavagnaro
Hello,
I went through this same dilemma a few months ago. My old ('87) F150 was showing its age and I decided it was time to get a new truck. I'm a GM guy but haven't liked the GM styling for some time now. I looked into the new F-150 but don't like the styling and the guys around here (also western NC) had no intention of budging off of high sticker prices.
I always said I'd never own a Chrysler product but while test driving a used ('12) GMC truck I decided to test drive a used ('12) Ram they had. Absolutely no comparison. The Ram truck is hands down the best driving and handling of the big three. I ended up buying a '14 with the 5.7L Hemi and 6 speed AT (also the dark red color). I figured this was a bullet proof powertrain combination (still not sure of the reliability of the new 8spd ZF trans). I drove an 8 speed AT for comparison and it was extremely smooth. No hunting.
So far I'm averaging between 20 and 23mpg and loving every minute of it. I agree with one of the comments above regarding how long you plan to keep it vs. diesel/gas decision.
You will certainly find the diesel more expensive to buy, drive and maintain and filling the aftertreatment fluid has got to be a major pain - especially if you go on a trip and are unsure of where to refill. All of the new emissions regulations (more coming every day) are killing these diesel trucks. The initial cost is ridiculous and reliability/dependability are marginal, to say the least. Why do you think the used diesels from a few years ago command such a premium? They have tremendous street value due to their lack of this questionable equipment.
Best of luck.

Your 100% right about the ride and drive, I drove a 14 Silverado and Ecoboost, BOTH were really nice trucks and I would be happy with either one, The RAM felt better, more comfortable, (to me I'm 6'4 265, it might not be as comfortable to someone 5'10 170) rode better (coil spring rear end) and the fuel mileage is unheard of for a truck.
The diesel will cost more I agree, the DEF fluid is not a biggie as even local gas stations here in Asheville are stocking it, the fill is right there beside the fuel tank fill, it has a gauge just like a fuel gauge on the dash, I hear reports of 6000-8000 miles per tank, the good thing is that the dealer I bought the truck from is right up the road and they cover ALL routine maintenance for 2 years
they knocked 7800 off the cost of the truck and allowed me 2500 more for my trade than what Kelly blue book valued it at!

796fca0281cc2f332ae0fde4b9d75470x_zpsqvppuqam.jpg
Old December 31st, 2014, 07:46 AM

The 2013-up Ram emissions system has been very reliable and the DEF is used at a very slow rate. It is also available at all truck stops, and most auto parts stores so running out is easy to avoid. Cummins has been able to bring back the timing advance, etc. with the new system to get fuel mileage like they got 20 years ago. They are more expensive but last a lot longer and hold their value. If anything, the 2007.5--2012 model years will be negatively impacted because that emissions system was not as good as the DEF approach. If you live in the flat lands near sea level, the normally aspirated gas engines work pretty well towing, but in the mountainous west and at altitude, the turbocharged diesel does a lot better.
Old December 31st, 2014, 09:09 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

F250/350 Super Duty. Once you step into one you never go back.
Attached Images
Optimized-F250 SD 1.jpg (242.4 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by droldsmorland; December 31st, 2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old December 31st, 2014, 04:58 PM

No thanks. My Ram has a Cummins, and a real frame under it!

Old December 31st, 2014, 05:16 PM

Brother in law bought the 2015 ram 1500, the shifter is a electronic turn **** instead of a handle..besides that its a nice ride.
Old January 1st, 2015, 07:24 AM

300 miles so far, 28ish on the hwy 22 ish around town, the ride and drive is amazing
Old January 1st, 2015, 09:14 AM

Mileage

300 miles so far, 28ish on the hwy 22 ish around town, the ride and drive is amazing
Are these mileage claims hand calculated or from the on board lie-o-meter?
Old January 1st, 2015, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Are these mileage claims hand calculated or from the on board lie-o-meter?
that's what the onboard computer claims I just topped off the tank with 13. 1 gallons and have driven it 356 miles so it's getting an avg 26ish not broken in