The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

I hope these things don't come in threes

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2019, 09:23 PM

I hope these things don't come in threes

My dad and I have some low in rentals and four weeks ago one of the tenants died in her rental unattended. Passing away unattended for a land lord is a major issue. The county puts a lock/ seal on the doors and windows and will not let anyone go in till a autopsy is performed to determine if foul play is involved. Sometimes they shut off the juice sometimes not. It can be a mess if everything rots in the fridge or freezer. This time they left the ladies pets (three dogs) out side with no one to attend to them, very sad watching them look at every car that pulls in looking for their master. The neighbors have been feeding them for the time being but not for ever. I'm sure sooner or later I'll have to contact animal control and have them picked up. The cops let us start cleaning up this week Then guess what happened?

Well her neighbor up and died all by herself and we now have two units ether locked up or open but full of trash. the first lady was a hoarder, so far three truck and trailer loads to the dump, Five sheets of drywall just to fix the holes in the wall.

I'm just hoping these things don't come in threes, this old man can't do this kind of work anymore.... Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; June 27th, 2019 at 06:43 AM.
Old June 26th, 2019, 10:45 PM

What a nightmare! I've always fantasized about having some rental property but my addiction to cars has sapped all my extra income.
Old June 27th, 2019, 02:46 AM

My advice is pack the fridge with wadded up newspaper
Old June 27th, 2019, 02:59 AM

Good luck with it Tedd. Wow what a hassle that sounds like!
Old June 27th, 2019, 05:20 AM

Bummer.
Old June 27th, 2019, 07:04 AM

I feel sorry for the family's but it was not unexpected as both were extremely large drinkers and had been in and out of the hospital for serious liver problems. It looks as though someone has hacked holes through out the unit with a hatchet or ax destroying a couple of doors and a bunch lath and plaster, for what I have no idea.

Time will tell on the other unit. I expect it to be dirty but not destroyed. Thank God the sheriff had her two dogs picked up at the time she was found. They were on the mean side and would bite if you turned your back to them.

Sorry for the rant, it was kinda over whelming this time, my life will go on ... Tedd
Old June 27th, 2019, 08:49 AM
MOTORHEAD

HEY TEDD

WoW the joys of being a land lord???

That Sucketh Mightily
One incident like this bad enough
2 at about the same time EGADS stop the madness
Hopefully there was some kind of damage deposits to offset at least part of cost / expense of getting the units back to a condition where they can be rented again

Do you have any help with the hauling and remodeling? It sounds like a daunting task especially the hatchet job lady place

All the best
Old June 27th, 2019, 09:38 AM

Ted I was in the property management business for over 50 years. It's like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer. It feels so good when you stop
Old June 27th, 2019, 04:03 PM
Olds Fever

Tedd, sorry to hear of your issues... I use to have rental property, but have since parted ways with it and have no regrets... I do have to say, I never had many issues with tenants, but when I did it was surprising a family member...
Old June 27th, 2019, 06:32 PM

Ya, Brian I have some help (not counting my dad who is 92 and still trying to help) on hanging sheet rock and moving the heavies out to the trailer. Yesterday was tape and mud the first coat, mostly all mine as no one else can run a drywall knife worth a damn, I should be done with the rock tomorrow or the next day if my knees hold up. Lots to do and I'm very slow compared to a few years ago. The mind says yes but the body says not on my watch. Help is coming for the weekend and maybe later also. It's been hard to get good help as everyone that is worth there salt is working in Paradise doing rehab from the Camp fire jobs.

It will get done just as quick as a cripple and and a real old man can. Lucky the Old Man has the best tool for getting things done, A thick wallet...... Tedd