The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

I hate Bambi. Really I do.

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Originally Posted by wolfman98
Which part was the political view was it the mention of natural resources.

Here's just a few... Not that I actually care but its an interesting conversation that I would rather not see closed because people bring politics into it which is against this forums rules.

Originally Posted by toro68
I hate deer too! I hate libreals/left wing laws even more!
Originally Posted by bittersweet71
Hate the liberal yankee government on Long Island instead of the deer. A loathing of liberal idiots would also help.
Old October 18th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
Here's just a few... Not that I actually care but its an interesting conversation that I would rather not see closed because people bring politics into it which is against this forums rules.
ok I agree with you on those, the conversation is about deer and animals damaging vehicles, I thought it might have been something I said since your post followed mine.
Old October 18th, 2009, 03:07 PM
...should get a life....

[quote=wolfman98;116632]Roo's are a problem in parts of Australia just like deer here but if you went to Newfoundland your main concern would be Moose.

Roos can do a bit of damage as the photo shows. This driver didn't make it.
I hitch hiked across Canada too many years ago and a trucker who took me from Blind River to Regina was telling me about the hunting season before when a moose came out of the woods about 300 yards up the road and ran towards the truck. At that point a hunter came charging out of the woods firing away. Shot out his passenger windscreen and radiator.
Moose are massive beasts and no doubt they'd total just about anything that him them......but I'd be more worried about the guys behind them with the guns.
Old October 18th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Captain of my ship

[quote=Col Wickham;116751]
Roo's are a problem in parts of Australia just like deer here but if you went to Newfoundland your main concern would be Moose.

I hitch hiked across Canada too many years ago and a trucker who took me from Blind River to Regina was telling me about the hunting season before when a moose came out of the woods about 300 yards up the road and ran towards the truck. At that point a hunter came charging out of the woods firing away. Shot out his passenger windscreen and radiator.
Moose are massive beasts and no doubt they'd total just about anything that him them......but I'd be more worried about the guys behind them with the guns.
looks like the roo jumped a little late moose you don't want to hit cause its like hitting another car but built a lot more solid. you are not allowed to hunt within 200 meters of a road or any house so maybe the critters have figured that one out. I know i see deer all the time right up until hunting season then they are hard to find. i lived in regina for 13 years and it took me almost that long to get used to the flatness. the only place i knew where if you had good binoculars you could watch your dog run away from home for 3 days
Old October 18th, 2009, 03:52 PM
...should get a life....

Quote:
I lived in regina for 13 years and it took me almost that long to get used to the flatness. the only place i knew where if you had good binoculars you could watch your dog run away from home for 3 days

30 years this months since I was there and from what I can remember of it I can understand why the dogs run away ...Those prairies are flat alright. Think we saw 1 tree in about 1000 miles.
Old October 19th, 2009, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by bittersweet71
As a hunter who eats an enormous amount of venison, I cannot see where deer are useless or stupid animals! There are way many more useless and stupid people! Do your part to help control the population! HUNT! You can also feed your family or give the meat to someone who will use it. Man is the #1 predator on the planet when he hones his skills as such. People that survive off vulture meat purchased at a store are weaker as a result; weaker mentally and physically. I brought my first deer home in the trunk of my 69 Cutlass S convertible! That was a double thrill! Hunt and be thankful for the meat and the animal that helps to make you stronger!
Very good post. I WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE that we are weaker as a result.

I'm a city boy. Born and raised in Chicago. Not a single clue how to hunt
or kill and prepare anything out in the wild to feed myself. I actually feel
weak for relying on the nipple of the system to feed myself. It is hard for
people to accept the fact they we are meat eaters and realize where that
meat comes from. Honestly I think it's a fair shake at life to HUNT your
food rather then get it from the slaughterhouses.......animals in cages.

I have a buddy who runs a Cabela's nearby and he is also the lead hunter
there. I'm hoping to one day pop my cherry shortly here and go hunting
for my first nature ride to self sustaining enlightenment.

I always think about "What ifs" ..(to prepare better)...like what if the system
shut down for whatever reason and I had to feed my family......I'm screwed.....

Last edited by Aceshigh; October 19th, 2009 at 02:33 AM.
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:20 AM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Ye gods- it's a groundhog on steroids!

Groundhogs are a pest too. I've trapped several this year. They like to den under buildings, and are known to try to dig the foundation out from under a house to get under there.

Col- I can't imagine having to dodge 'roos the way we do deer. I had to come to a complete stop last night out in the country because three deer were in the middle of the highway and would not move. Now that it's turning cooler and they'll start the rut, it will only get worse.
You can have 'em...rather take on a roo any day. I recall a few months ago an Aussie tourist got killed somewhere over there when he flipped his rented camper trying to miss a deer. From following this post I can see they're a major problem. I can also see that many Olds faithful in this forum live in the country. Gotta love that !
Roos don't stand around in the middle of road waiting to be hit which is a good thing. Unfortunately they are attracted to headlights and they come out from the sides of the roads. Can't see them 'til it's too late.
Wombats do both. Both varmints are marsupials which means they carry their young in a pouch. When you hit one you've got to do the right thing and check whether there's a baby on board that survived. Often they do and there's places that raise the little orphans until they're OK to fend for themselves.
Old October 19th, 2009, 11:05 AM

We only have one

Marsupial the Opossum or as we call 'em possums.

In the south the come out at nite and get run over all the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
possum.jpg (3.0 KB, 29 views)
Old October 19th, 2009, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo

Why does a Opossum cross the road? No one knows because a Opossum's never made it.
Old October 19th, 2009, 12:02 PM
67 heavy metal

same up here in nys along with racoons squirrels and the ocasional skunk and groundhog
Old October 19th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Captain of my ship

The thing I come across most are squirrels and they get run over less often , them things are quick. i keep looking back cause i am sure i had that one just to see it lucked out again
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:48 PM

Thumbs up

[quote=Col Wickham;116751]
Roo's are a problem in parts of Australia just like deer here but if you went to Newfoundland your main concern would be Moose.

Moose is also a big headache in Maine and New Hampshire.
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Oldsdruid

Why did the chicken cross the road?

???????

To prove to the 'Possum that it CAN be done!

'Possums are just plain ol' garden variety. O'Possum is the Irish branch of the family...
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Cutlass Lover

Bears, gorillas and possums... Oh My!! This little fella was in our breezeway a few weeks ago. When I opened the door to go out to the garage, there he was, eating my cats food! The cat was just laying there on the bench watching him! The varmint got scared when I came out, and ran to the corner and hid behind the box!
We chased him out. We get possums and raccoons that come in through the hole we made to the outside for the cat. There's always something out there eating his food if I forget to set it in the garage before I go to bed! There were 2 deer in the back yard this morning, and 2 on the street when I went to work, and about 10 of them out on a side road by Rt. 91! Sorry, but I too, hate deer. I hope the one that ran in to my 85 Delta a few years back still has the hood emblem embedded where it's still causing him great pain!!
We have more animals in our yard here in the city then my sister has out in the country!! These city critters ain't scared of nothin!! I love to feed the birds, and the darned squirrels tear up my feeders, and in the winter, the deer come and knock them down and eat the seed! They're just waiting for my crocus and tulips to come up so they can eat them too! "hey lady, thanks for the salad"! LOL!! We have way way too many of them around this area, and overnight, the destruction they can cause in just the yard, costs us a lot of money.
This little feller was kinda cute, though!

stowglencarshow029.jpg
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:02 AM
...should get a life....

I'm thinking that maybe there's call for a new forum..."Roadkill". Seems to be plenty of interest. Each month we could present a prize to the member who kills the biggest, or flattest, or messiest, rarest or deadliest critter..
And Cutlass Girl...that thing hiding behind the box is not "kinda cute". Looks like a rat on acid.
Old October 20th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Captain of my ship

And Cutlass Girl...that thing hiding behind the box is not "kinda cute". Looks like a rat on acid.[/quote]

The road I live on is only about 3 kms long and is a magnet for critters. The #1 roadkill on the road are racoons followed by skunk , porcupine and cats. there are tons of ferrel cats around here mostly because of the # of small farms.
Old October 20th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Cutlass Lover

A rat on acid! I love that!!
Old October 20th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Oldsdruid

Just don't stomp a 'possum in this town...

http://www2.godanriver.com/gdr/news/...t_of_po/14769/#

City has plenty of real crime to deal with and they go after a kid for stomping a possum. We're talking about a critter that, as pointed out earlier in the thread, has not yet figured out how to successfully cross a road.

Last edited by rocketraider; October 20th, 2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old October 20th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Cutlass Lover

Old October 20th, 2009, 10:57 AM

O'Possum is the Irish branch of the family...
LMAO...

Now wait just a dang minute...

I aren't stupid, I are slow...
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:46 PM

One of them totaled me K-car this morning heading in to work. And I still haven't figured where it came from. All of a sudden it was there and ZERO time to react. I was traveling 55 when it hit me.
A K-car? So he was doing you a favor!

Seriously though yeah, deer are obnoxious. I've heard that the movie Bambi is responsible for more anti-hunter sentiment in the last 40 years than anything else...I guess Disney did a good job of making overpopulated and destructive creatures look cute and innocent.
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Captain of my ship

Ok so I just got back from a cruise in my Olds and on the way up the north mountain heading towards the bay I had a doe walk across the road ahead of me. well I stopped to grab a shot of her cause I had my camera beside me and was suprised to see that she was just stopped on the other side looking at me .A minute later her bambi walked across the road since I wasn't moving. pretty cool since i thought right away about this thread.
Oh phooey I had the camera set too high and can't upload the pics I took.
Old October 20th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by Dean O' Banion
A K-car? So he was doing you a favor!
That K was arguably one of the best cars I ever owned. It took very little in the way of maintenance and upkeep, regularly delivered 30 mpg and failed to start only once in the 21 years my family owned it- timing belt. Compared to the overrated S10 based Bravada I paid 5 times as much for... and that left me stranded more than a few times... I'll take a K-car any day of the week. If the doghouse structure hadn't been damaged so badly I'd have probably tried to fix it, but it was pretty obvious it would never have driven right again.

Seriously though yeah, deer are obnoxious. I've heard that the movie Bambi is responsible for more anti-hunter sentiment in the last 40 years than anything else...I guess Disney did a good job of making overpopulated and destructive creatures look cute and innocent.
They are beyond obnoxious. Agreed on Bambi and Disney in general. I love animation, and artistically and technically Disney had some of the best, but I disliked most of their storylines. Too cutesy for my taste. Give me some Warner Brothers or Tex Avery- borderline subversive stuff with a healthy dose of smart-***.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:06 PM

!st Class Deer stand

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
relaxing.jpg (57.3 KB, 16 views)
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:44 PM
Cutlass Lover

OMG!! You crack me up! We need to get you started on a new project!!!
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:51 PM

Agreed on Bambi and Disney in general. I love animation, and artistically and technically Disney had some of the best, but I disliked most of their storylines. Too cutesy for my taste. Give me some Warner Brothers or Tex Avery- borderline subversive stuff with a healthy dose of smart-***.
Yeah, I don't see why they need to make every hunter/outdoorsman in all of their movies look like some sociopathic maniac killer. The classic 1930's Mickey stuff is better, but you're right...there's nothing like an ACME anvil!
"It's wabbit-huntin' season!"
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:55 PM

Compared to the overrated S10 based Bravada I paid 5 times as much for... and that left me stranded more than a few times... I'll take a K-car any day of the week.
Yeah, the sad truth is that GM became way too cheap and homogenized in the late 70's-80's. It got to where a Coupe Deville was a Chevy Caprice with a different badge. Also, every V-8 became a 350. Sad.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 01:09 PM

I'm glad to see that James is a responsible hunter. Note the hi-vis hat and he put his beer down and behind him to avoid spillage (spillage up here will get you a ticket for alcohol abuse) (grin)
Old October 22nd, 2009, 05:32 PM

Makes perfect sense to me, shoot the game then have the wife fetch it, clean it and put it on to cook while the mighty hunter relaxes from a hard day of hunting. Boy life can be tough
Old October 22nd, 2009, 05:40 PM

Why did the chicken cross the road?

???????

To prove to the 'Possum that it CAN be done!

'Possums are just plain ol' garden variety. O'Possum is the Irish branch of the family...
LOL
Old October 22nd, 2009, 05:47 PM

Yeah, the sad truth is that GM became way too cheap and homogenized in the late 70's-80's. It got to where a Coupe Deville was a Chevy Caprice with a different badge. Also, every V-8 became a 350. Sad.
This explains, two years ago a co-worker gave his 1995 Aurora to me.
I would have to spend over $3500 to make the car road worthy again (big issue was the shot transmission).

The last GM car my parent bought was a 87 Buick regal T-Type(owned it from Feb 1987-May 2007). Yes it was very fast , but it had its share of quality control issues (paint and interior).
Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:10 PM
Cutlass Lover

Originally Posted by citcapp
Makes perfect sense to me, shoot the game then have the wife fetch it, clean it and put it on to cook while the mighty hunter relaxes from a hard day of hunting. Boy life can be tough
AAHHH, poor baby! Dinner will be ready in no time... Is the water hot enough for you in the tub? Do you need another beer? You just relax now... Never hurts to dream!
Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:31 PM
Oldsdruid

...there's nothing like an ACME anvil!
Or other assorted stuff falling out of the sky...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCP4JghzbGM
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:47 PM

Or other assorted stuff falling out of the sky...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCP4JghzbGM
NICE !
Old October 29th, 2009, 05:54 AM

I had to go pick up my neighbour the other night,she hit a deer on one of the local side roads around here.She clipped it in the back end taking out the front left corner of her 06 Toyauto RAV,the cop put 5 shots into it (over kill but they don't get to use their guns to often) she drove to the side of the road.Took it to the body shop and the insurance co wrote it off.She walked away with a cheque for 17,000.00 bucks.
Old October 29th, 2009, 04:19 PM
...should get a life....

Venison

Originally Posted by Oldskeeper
I had to go pick up my neighbour the other night,she hit a deer on one of the local side roads around here.She clipped it in the back end taking out the front left corner of her 06 Toyauto RAV,the cop put 5 shots into it (over kill but they don't get to use their guns to often) she drove to the side of the road.Took it to the body shop and the insurance co wrote it off.She walked away with a cheque for 17,000.00 bucks.

Did she get to keep the deer ???
Old October 29th, 2009, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Col Wickham
Did she get to keep the deer ???
I did not get to keep mine (last year when I hit one with my 1992 Crown Vic). here reason being, SOMEBODY walked away with it! And this was 4:45am-5am, on a Saturday moring.
Old October 29th, 2009, 08:45 PM

The deer was left in the ditch to rot,the cop said it was in to bad of shape to go for food. We left it there and came home,I talked to a friend of mine and he lives on venicen and he said the cops got it after we left.
Hopefully thats true and it didn't go to waste.
Old October 30th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Captain of my ship

At one time here they used to take the deer killed to local butchers who donated their time to cut up the meat and take to food banks so the poor would have fresh venison but the gov. in their infinite wisdom put a stop to it cause they said it was not safe Yet if you put a few slugs into one and decide to hang and butcher yourself it's ok , they sell thousands of licenses every year. Now the deer end up at a dump or some other place to rot.
Old October 30th, 2009, 07:10 AM

Our government is amasing and now we have PETA (people eating tastey animals) protesting the seal hunt.
If Pam Anderson doesn't eat meat why did she marry Tommy Lee?

Quick Reply: I hate Bambi. Really I do.