The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Hurricane Sandy

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Nothing like kicking people when there down.
At least every single person in Nassau and Suffolk Counties knows where NOT to get their gas when this is all over.

- Eric
Old November 5th, 2012, 06:41 PM

Some updates. Slowly starting to improve around here. Down to about 300,000 without electricity on Long Island and they say most of them will have it back by Wednesday. (Just in time for the next storm on that same day.)

My kids are still home as school is still out for most districts around here.

The gas situation still has not really improved. Very few stations have it and those that do have raised their prices by as much as 50 cents/gallon. One station around here that had gas had their pricing structure as 4.59/4.69/4.79 for regular/ + / premium. Nothing like kicking people when there down.
you should call Gov Cuomo's office.. he is looking for price gouging.
Old November 5th, 2012, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by LI Olds
Absolutely get a cell phone pic or a receipt or something its just wrong, looters should be shot on the spot no I am not joking , cause once you have broken into a house it doesn't take a stretch to hurt or kill whomever is inside to protect their miserable lives .... there is gas in south river and east Brunswick nj as well as groceries etc tony that is about an hour north for you if you get stuck give me a shout willing to do what I can...
Old November 5th, 2012, 07:03 PM

Stan kryla and family are safe and sound I checked his fb page , left a message for him
Old November 5th, 2012, 07:11 PM
GM Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LI Olds
I will do that tomorrow, thanks for reminding me.
Old November 5th, 2012, 07:18 PM
GM Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Absolutely get a cell phone pic or a receipt or something its just wrong, looters should be shot on the spot no I am not joking , cause once you have broken into a house it doesn't take a stretch to hurt or kill whomever is inside to protect their miserable lives .... there is gas in south river and east Brunswick nj as well as groceries etc tony that is about an hour north for you if you get stuck give me a shout willing to do what I can...
Thanks Eddie, I appreciate the offer. We are ok with food for now, and should have enough gas through the end of the week. We are far luckier than many.... we still have our home.
Old November 5th, 2012, 07:21 PM
GM Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MDchanic
At least every single person in Nassau and Suffolk Counties knows where NOT to get their gas when this is all over.

- Eric
Definitely right Eric, but unfortunately, people forget quickly.
Old November 6th, 2012, 07:04 AM

Yesterday my daughters boy friend was able to obtain a two day pass to get over to Seaside Park on the barrier island to remove items from his home. I was able to go with him. Unfortunately, the police have cancelled the second day admittance stating the roads are unsafe so we will not be able to get the remainder of his belongings today. His home had a couple inches of water in it. But that would have made the water in the street 4-5 feet deep, and the garage where my wagon was stored prior to the storm had close to 3 feet of water in it.

I cannot come up with words to describe the devastation to that area. You can see photo's on the internet or tv, but until you've personally viewed it, you just cant grasp the amount of destruction the storm has done.

Crews are working feverishly to try and replenish the dunes in preparation for this next storm, but with so much debris to clean up first, I think its not going quite as fast as they'd like.

We are day 9 of no power and running on generator. Gas is available and lines have eased, but the expense is getting to us. I've been running it 12 hours a day and its aprox 7 gallons of gas. Last night because of the cold snap I left it running all night to power the 2 small space heaters we're using. I went through 15 gallons in 24 hours. Today I'll shut it off all day and we are just going to use it at night for the heat and lights.

I hope everyone else is ok. Lets hope tomorrows storm does not undo all that the workers have done to get our lives back to normal. And if you see a crew working in your neighbor hood, smile, wave and say "thank you". I think they appreciate that.
Old November 6th, 2012, 07:43 AM

All you guys and gals are in our thoughts. Hope this storm misses you
Old November 6th, 2012, 03:59 PM

Glad to hear everyone is ok and accounted for. I just got my power back and its been a really tough week on Long Island. Had our share of damage but was so thankful to see crews from Alabama and Mississippi here to restore our power. We are fortunate compared to so many others who lost everything...my wife teaches in Lindenhurst and we have family there who endured major losses. Hard to believe there are 4500 uninhabitable homes in that town alone.

I work in lower Manhattan and my office was heavily damaged by water so we have no idea when we can return. Hoping and praying that this new nor'easter has mercy on the most damaged areas...
Old November 6th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Registered Luser

Bill. What's your last name? My wife also teaches in Lindy, and is from there. She teaches at the Middle School. Still no power here....
Old November 6th, 2012, 04:17 PM

Erik have you had any word on when it may be back on for you? They've told us that "possibly Sunday" here, IF the storm tomorrow/thursday doesnt do more damage to the grid. Then they would have no idea when.
Keep the faith my friend!
Old November 6th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Registered Luser

Possibly by tomorrow night....a co worker of mine who lives on the Jersey Shore in Point Pleasant had his cars and complete first floor flooded out. He just got power about 3 hrs ago. Glad you're OK Tony. Still have that '67?
Old November 6th, 2012, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Bill. What's your last name? My wife also teaches in Lindy, and is from there. She teaches at the Middle School. Still no power here....
Hey Erik - didn't know your wife teaches in the district as well! Last name is Heyer and she teaches english in the high school. Really hope your power comes back soon. Have you seen any crews in your neighborhood yet? Once they get there it shouldn't be long from what I've seen...
Old November 6th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Registered Luser

No crews around yet....just got in from talking to state troopers. They were spotlighting the neighborhood. They said their job is to patrol the areas with no power. First time I've seen anyone what so ever. Actually, 6 days ago, LIPA had two guys here "assessing" the damage. The troopers were from the NY/Canadian border. Staying in the dorms at SUNY Stonybrook.
Old November 6th, 2012, 05:22 PM

I feel your pain. We had two LIPA crews here to assess damage on two different days. We called them three times a day to harass them (in a nice way)...not sure if it worked but certainly didn't hurt. Try to stay warm and let me know if you need anything, I am happy to help.
Old November 6th, 2012, 05:32 PM
NOVICE car nut

Man , glad to hear everyone made it out ok !
Old November 6th, 2012, 07:27 PM

Possibly by tomorrow night....a co worker of mine who lives on the Jersey Shore in Point Pleasant had his cars and complete first floor flooded out. He just got power about 3 hrs ago. Glad you're OK Tony. Still have that '67?
Eric that 67the went to atlanta. Did VERY well on it! Just got a 70 4 speed I'll be parting soon.
Old November 6th, 2012, 08:28 PM
GM Enthusiast

Power is still out for over 200k residents, like some of the neighborhoods mentioned in the posts above. We actually lost power again this afternoon and just got it back? Not sure why but doesn't give you great confidence that it will stay on through tomorrow's storm. Obviously we still have a long way to go.

Gas is still scarce, I really don't see any improvement in supplies.
Old November 7th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by WTony
Eric that 67the went to atlanta. Did VERY well on it! Just got a 70 4 speed I'll be parting soon.
Nice work!
Old November 7th, 2012, 03:00 PM

cold...

My heart goes out to all the folks that are still without heat, power , this storm is salt into the wound, I hope everyone stays safe I see the lie is closed in parts due to ice!!! Be safe everyone, especially if your using auxiliary heating
Old November 7th, 2012, 03:51 PM

Didn't do so well in Ct.either.Power still out in some areas.I work for AT&T.We still have poles broken and cables down all over the state.We have been on a state of emergency since the storm began.For me this means 16 hours a day ,7 days a week.They sent us home after 8 hours today because we it is too dangerous out there with 6 inches of snow and 40 mph winds.But the good news is back to 16 hours tomorrow and untill further notice,Yippee,I'm so happy I could just ****.It's kind of strange,I would have guessed that most of the damage would have been confined to the shore line,but we have just as much damage inland to the east.Stay safe and warm,if possible.
Old November 7th, 2012, 06:02 PM

Power came back on this evening around 7. It was good to have the furnace fire up again.

Just want to thank "The Alabama Gang" for stringing up the new wires on our block! They were out in the wind and snow all day, and didnt leave till our 4 block grid was back on.

How you making out Eddie?
Eric got your power back yet?
Old November 7th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by ctsplicer
Didn't do so well in Ct.either.Power still out in some areas.I work for AT&T.We still have poles broken and cables down all over the state.
This qualifies as a rumor, but my father, who has a place in NJ, was talking to a friend who works with PSE&G (the power company), who told him progress has been slow on restoring power across the state (not in the flooded areas) because "there's not a pole left in the state," or, in other words, they've used up their stockpile of telephone poles at all their yards, and can't do any repairs where a new pole is required until they get a new trainload.

If that's the case, it's a good explanation for why some folks just can't seem to get switched on...

- Eric
Old November 7th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Registered Luser

Tony, good to hear you got power. As for me, not yet. Was told today, but that didn't happen. With this storm, everybody will probably lose it again, and get it turned on again, before I get it for the first time. Day 10 on deck....
Old November 8th, 2012, 06:26 AM

Well our celebration was short lived. We had power for all of 5 hours till it was out again. Saw a bright flash and heard the BOOM a couple blocks away.
WE got 9-10" of heavy wet snow last night and have trees coming down all over the place again. Lost a small tree in the back yard and a few larger branches off of other trees. One hit the garage but thankfully, doesnt look like it did any damage. Good thing I didnt put the generator away last night!
Hope everyone else is ok.
Old November 8th, 2012, 06:36 AM

Hang in there Tony and Erik...we're here for ya and hoping your service is restored ASAP!!
Old November 8th, 2012, 07:16 AM
GM Enthusiast

Hope your power comes back on soon and that you have some way to at least heat your home in the meantime.

We lost power for a couple hours yesterday and outages are worse again on the Island. My kids elementary school closed early yesterday due to power loss and they are home today for the same reason. Courtesy of 4 inches of white stuff and 40mph wind gusts.
Old November 8th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Cutlass Lover

Gosh! I just feel so bad for all of you over there. We're keeping you in our thoughts, I just wish there was something we could do to help..... Stay safe!
Old November 8th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Registered Luser

Well, and you should like this Tony, we finally have a crew from, of all places, NJ, working on our block. Looks like I should have power in a few hrs..

On a related note, local radio station has been interviewing crews from out of state, and even they say that this response has been unacceptable. We pay the highest prices in the country for electric, and 11+ days is unacceptable. There are people who now don't even have homes, and that is a totally different type of issue. It is very sad. But, the crews have also been saying that the LIPA (Long Island Power Authority) workers have been telling them to "SLOW DOWN". Must be a union thing.....that or they want to "rob" us for overtime!

In any case, people are devastated along the south shore here, as well as the barrier islands, Staten Island, an the Jersey Shore. I was in Old Bridge NJ yesterday, and the destruction looked like something out of a movie....very sad. FEMA has been terrible...the offered a friend in Lindenhurst, whose house is now condemned, $30,000 to rebuild.....with a catch....not on the same site.....the house was paid off, and you can't come close to buying a piece of property out here for that kind of money.....the sad stories go on and on.....because most of the schools in these areas are on the shore are not useable right now, the elementary school kids are being stuffed in the larger, stranger schools. Imagine being 6 or 7 years old, being sent into a new school with much older kids, having no home or clothes or toys to speak of, and have to concentrate on doing schoolwork. Makes me want to cry....

My neighbor just sent me a text....the crew on site says we need a new transformer, and they will have to come back! What were the 2 clowns who were here 8 days ago to asses doing?

Another update, Tony, the crew is not from NJ....they are from Nova Scotia....they just told my neighbor that they were not told it needed a transformer.....LIPA is a ship without a rudder....

Last edited by ent72olds; November 8th, 2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old November 8th, 2012, 02:13 PM
GM Enthusiast

On a related note, local radio station has been interviewing crews from out of state, and even they say that this response has been unacceptable. We pay the highest prices in the country for electric, and 11+ days is unacceptable. There are people who now don't even have homes, and that is a totally different type of issue. It is very sad. But, the crews have also been saying that the LIPA (Long Island Power Authority) workers have been telling them to "SLOW DOWN". Must be a union thing.....that or they want to "rob" us for overtime!

they just told my neighbor that they were not told it needed a transformer.....LIPA is a ship without a rudder....
Why am I not surprised? Unfortunately though the issue with LIPA will never get fixed.
Old November 8th, 2012, 03:17 PM

I was surprised to find many crews from Alabama out on our streets today. My neignbor asked when they thought we might see lights again and they promised no later than tomorrow afternoon. By 5pm today, the lights were on! Im impressed with the Alabama Gang!

It appears that the biggest problem is communication between the power companies and the out of state workers. Our local school had about 30 trucks sitting idle for most of the day earlier in the week. They were told they had no orders. It appears they got their orders because they kicked *** on our neighborhood.

Hang in there Eric, things will get better!
Old November 8th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Registered Luser

We finally just got power!. The guys from Nova Scotia did a great job! When my neighbor and I thanked them, we said LIPA can't hold a candle to you guys, the worker replied "who's LIPA?" .....my thoughts exactly!
Old November 8th, 2012, 04:35 PM

We got called today to supply operators and heavy equipment. The work is required to be performed on two 12 hour shifts. The problem is we're union and the rate they are offering to pay won't pay for the union operators wage and benefits, the hourly cost of the excavators themselves, and the cost to mobilize and demobilize them. We've got eight excavators sitting in our yard right now. (Four of them go out to a regular job we have next week). We've talked to a couple other contractors that have on-call emergency contracts with NYSDOT and they still haven't been paid 100% for the work they did last fall for tropical storm Irene. They're cringing at getting called back for this work. It's pretty bad when it's cheaper to have your equipment sit than to work it, especially when people really need it.
Old November 8th, 2012, 06:01 PM
GM Enthusiast

Erik, Tony - glad to hear you both just got power, about time.
Old November 8th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Registered Luser

Thanks Darrell!
Old November 8th, 2012, 07:05 PM
GM Enthusiast

Authorities have instituted gas rationing on Long Island starting tomorrow. Plates ending in an odd # fill up on odd days, and plates ending in an even # fill up on even days. That is, of course, if you can find a station with gas. Still no where near enough gas here to meet demand.
Old November 9th, 2012, 06:27 AM

Thank You!

Its great to get back to some sense of normalcy. Whatever normal may be?