The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Hurricane Sandy

Search this Thread

Old October 28th, 2012, 07:03 PM
GM Enthusiast

Hurricane Sandy

Sandy is getting ready to bear down on us here in the next 24 hours. All the usual worries about a hurricane such as water and wind damage, power outages etc. However I am also worried about my Cutlass. It is in a garage but it is also about 1/4 mile from the water and in the area the county has already wanted evacuated. They are predicting storm surges of 8-12 feet so I am hoping that no damage comes to it or obviously, any of the homes in the area too.

Hope everyone who is in the way of this storm stays safe.
Old October 28th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Oldsdruid

This storm concerns me because of the way it's forming. A tropical air mass and a cold nor'easter colliding has the potential for a lot of damage- unprecedented damage IMO.

We're 200 miles inland from Norfolk-VA Beach area and the city is filling up with people evacuating the coast. This was also Martinsville race weekend so hotels were already full in a 60-70 mile radius of Martinsville, and not sure how much race traffic was going to stay thru Sunday night. Two cousins run B&Bs and they said their phones have been ringing off the hook all day. By noon they were both full up for tonight and tomorrow with people getting away from the storm track.

To everyone in this thing's path, stay safe and protect your life and property as best you can. You got any sandbags to put against the garage doors? those might keep some water from going in under the doors.
Old October 28th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
... I am also worried about my Cutlass. It is in a garage but it is also about 1/4 mile from the water and in the area the county has already wanted evacuated. They are predicting storm surges of 8-12 feet...
Actually, that's concerning.

You guys on LI, and folks on the barrier islands (Fire Island, the Rockaways, Coney Island, Sandy Hook, Long Beach Island, the Outer Banks (getting a bit Souther...) tend to take a beating in these storms.

A quarter mile from the water is NOT very far.

How high up is the land that the car is on? If it's a good 10 feet, I'd say don't think twice.
NOAA is showing 10-40% chance of water up to 6' above the usual high water mark (depending on where you are - worse closer to NYC, for a change), but chances of an 8' surge at only 5-20%, so if the car is up on a bluff, I'd say you're fine. If it's a straight shot to the water, though, you might want to find a friend or neighbor on higher ground who'll let you park in their yard (provided they don't have any big, old trees ).

Up here, we're about a mile from open ocean, and about 100' from the estuary / river, but when they built the house over 150 years ago, they had the good sense to put it on a high spot, so even if the village floods a block away from us (as it has done during storm tides), we'll be high and dry. Judging by the NWS predictions, though, it looks like we'll get a high tide about 3' above normal here, so we really don't have anything to be worried about.
Of course, this being the Frozen North, we've got backup systems for our backup systems, in case things do turn ugly.

Good luck, and don't take any chances with that Cutlass - a little rainwater from being parked out in the open up high is nothing compared to a few feet of salt water from having the ocean spread out a bit more than it should.

- Eric
Old October 28th, 2012, 08:10 PM

I agree. If you're worried about it, maybe have her get a little wet with rain where you can keep an eye on her as opposed to sweatin it out and possibly swimming in salt water. I'm about 2 miles form Raritan Bay and my 442 is sitting outside my house where I can see her. If water rises, I'm moving her to higher ground.

Good luck and be well.
Old October 28th, 2012, 08:10 PM
car guy

hope everyone comes out OK it looks like a monster
Old October 29th, 2012, 06:21 AM
71 cutlass convertible

I am on the Delmarva Peninsula. At 9am this morning I have already had 5 inches of rain wind is starting to pick-up. Flooding will be a problem around here as it is already starting. My house is not to far from a river but set very high up(at least around here) Isabel raised water about 6ft at my house and propbably would have to come up 10 more to get to my house. Have food and water and a generator so I'm good right now.

Larry
Old October 29th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Lansing built

Good luck to all on the east side of the U.S.!
I will be getting hit myself, here even in the Lansing, MI area! 40+ winds rain and or snow!

Pat
Old October 29th, 2012, 06:37 AM

With the full moon already bringing higher tides, I think I would be worried that close to the water. Good luck
Old October 29th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Captain Starfire

Just remember that preservation of life is the most important thing; don't jeopardize your and your loved ones' lives and well-being to save your possessions, even if it's your favorite antique Olds. It will likely be here when you're long gone.

My prayers and thoughts go to the N.E. corner today....
Old October 29th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Battened down here in RI

Spent yesterday clearing yard of everything from wind chimes to patio furniture

About 1/2 mile from Narragansett Bay - not worried about water (elevation ~30 or so), but am worried about power - we were dark for a week last year after Irene.

Grin it and bear it is all we can do.
Old October 29th, 2012, 07:22 AM

Just went out and put a car cover on the Olds. garage isn't finished yet so it's at a buddies house to be out of the way. Pis of the local beach closed and some waves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2nd Beach Closed Off.JPG (108.3 KB, 62 views)
Waves 2nd Beach.JPG (110.8 KB, 58 views)
Heavy Waves 2nd Beach.JPG (129.2 KB, 66 views)
Cutlass Cover.JPG (140.6 KB, 65 views)
Old October 29th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Cutlass Lover

Hope you all and the car come through safe, Darryl. If you can't get to the car now since it's in the area that's already been evacuated, I guess all you can do is pray! I hope it will be ok. We've had rain since Friday here, and today the winds are picking up. We're supposed to have sustained winds of around 35 mph or so, and gusts up to 70 mph!! It's not gonna be pretty, lol. Yards are already flooded and Lake Erie is whipping up some waves. Flood warnings are out everywhere. I just hope we don't get hit with the heavy wet snow......

I sure loved the hot dry summer everyone was complaining about, lol.
Old October 29th, 2012, 07:44 AM

Exclamation Take care!

Here are some comments from a guy who lives near the Gulf coast and has been around when the surges have been 20+ feet. If there is no levee system and you know that the elevation of the garage is within the predicted surge range, prudence would say to relocate the car to a higher elevation. If you will also be subjected to high tide and/or wave action, the effect will be even worse. Water in your car is "bummer". Salt water is a REAL "bummer". Multi-storied buildings with parking above the ground floor will work if you have access. Or you can just take a vacation and drive it away from the coast far enough to get more elevation. The roads and accommodations will likely be crowded. Expect to be without power and/or telephone service for a while. Try not to "run out" of gasoline. You may have to sleep in your car. Best wishes for a good recovery!
Old October 29th, 2012, 07:54 AM

The report from Trenton NJ. Light rain and occasional gusts of wind. Nothing bad yet but they say the worst is yet to come and the storm has increased with 90MPH winds. It appears so far most of the heavy rain is south of me.
Old October 29th, 2012, 08:43 AM

Go to www.ready.nj.gov... They have storm surge maps by county. Been through hurricanes up north
And in florida. Cat 1 storms will mess up the trees and such. Not much surge generally. Media loves to hype everything now. Good luck.
Old October 29th, 2012, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by kitfoxdave
Go to www.ready.nj.gov... They have storm surge maps by county. Been through hurricanes up north
And in florida. Cat 1 storms will mess up the trees and such. Not much surge generally. Media loves to hype everything now. Good luck.
HYPE is an understatement, its been a week already of it!
Old October 29th, 2012, 09:12 AM

I got 2 sisters living in Manhatten. They say things are getting pretty crazy in preparation. Meanwhile it's 80 degrees and sunny here in San Diego at my house LOL
Old October 29th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Oldsdruid

They closed schools here today. No forecast I've seen indicates we'll get more than a soaking rain with 20 mph sustained winds, possibly up to 50 mph gusts, which is not unusual here for the time of year. Meanwhile, schools are open in counties to north and west of here where the weather is already kicking up pretty bad.

Not to trivialise what some of you are facing, but being as the chance of wind toppling a school bus is very low, and every school building in this county is designed to withstand 50 mph winds, I absolutely do not understand this call.
Old October 29th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Hope everyone weathers the storm.
Old October 29th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Navy P-3 FE (Ret.)

Wind and rain is picking up here in Southern Maryland. Blue car lost garage space so it's outside. It's wrapped from underneath and stays dry. Outer cover keeps the rain out. Holding up so far.

Isabel back in '03 did a lot of damage, I hope my trees hold out.
Attached Images
Blue car covered.jpg (69.4 KB, 36 views)
P1010001_1.jpg (339.6 KB, 37 views)
P1010002_2.jpg (311.3 KB, 36 views)
P1010018.jpg (364.4 KB, 31 views)
P1010019.jpg (339.8 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by 67Olds442X2; October 29th, 2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old October 29th, 2012, 10:54 AM

It's starting to get nasty here in Connecticut the rain isn't that heavy but the winds are def picking up! Got 10 gallons of gas and the generator is ready to go. The state shut down all the highways,no school mon and tues and no work as well.

Stay safe my east coast friends!
Old October 29th, 2012, 11:34 AM

Thumbs down

We lost a 100 foot tall oak about an hour ago.

Heard a tremendous cracking noise, and down she went.

The tree was at least 150 years old.

I will post pictures later this week.
Old October 29th, 2012, 11:52 AM

Here in Indianapolis, we have had pretty steady heavy winds all day & are supposed to get more wind over the next day or so, but no forecast for rain.
Old October 29th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Registered Luser

Being I have 3 cars, and a 2 car garage, the '65 vista sits in a car tent. Just came back inside trying to secure it even more by tying cinder blocks around the perimeter of the lower frame. I honestly don't think it will make it. Will hagerty cover any damage to the car would be my question? Maybe homeowners? As I was out there, lost a large tree limb and an 8 ft section of fence....
Old October 29th, 2012, 12:36 PM

Be safe Erik. Just had a neighbors tree land in my backyard...and they say the real winds (90mph) still haven't arrived.

Hopefully Hagerty is flexible with you, but when I tried to insure with them they wouldn't do business with me when I said I didn't have the car in an attached garage while not driving it. Not sure about a car tent though...
Old October 29th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Lansing built

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Being I have 3 cars, and a 2 car garage, the '65 vista sits in a car tent. Just came back inside trying to secure it even more by tying cinder blocks around the perimeter of the lower frame. I honestly don't think it will make it. Will hagerty cover any damage to the car would be my question? Maybe homeowners? As I was out there, lost a large tree limb and an 8 ft section of fence....
Hopefully the outside car is not damaged, looks like you need to have it in a secured building to qualify! I would suppose if a tree fell on the building with the car in it, than it would be covered?
Best just to call them!

Good luck with you, your family and the cars!

Pat
Old October 29th, 2012, 12:57 PM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Just came back inside trying to secure it even more by tying cinder blocks around the perimeter of the lower frame. ....
FYI mY father in law tried that a few years back. His efforts were repaid with huge gouges and scratches on the car where the wind lifted the garage and dragged the blocks over the car...I anchored my portable garage w the 4 15" anchors and then added 4 more 30" anchors
Old October 29th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Oldsdruid

Erik, I think I'd let the car ride it out outside that tent. I don't think there's any way you could secure that against the winds y'all are getting, and if the wind takes it you might end up with more damage than you'd have unsheltered.
Old October 29th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Registered Luser

Glenn, you may be right. It is moving quite a bit.
Old October 29th, 2012, 01:20 PM

be safe folks

Wind is starting to howl here is south river, lost power for an hour or two, not much rain , they closed work down today and to morrow, no way to get there anyway crept drive ..and they are closing the tunnels oh well
Wishing all of you a. Safe passage through this storm while sandy comes to the jersey shore to party hardy :-) now where did I put that battery powered blender, might have to make some hurricanes to go with this hurricane :-).
Old October 29th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I agree with Glenn - get the car away from the tent - if the tent goes, it will damage the car.

The wind and the rain won't hurt the car, just the flying and falling debris / limbs / outbuildings will. Get the car out away from hazards and tie the tent down as best you can (or flatten it).
A few stones blowing into the car will not be as bad as several cinderblocks being dragged over it (or banging into it).

- Eric
Old October 29th, 2012, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
With the full moon already bringing higher tides, I think I would be worried that close to the water. Good luck
The really high tides were early last week. The press has blown that aspect of it way out of proportion.
Old October 29th, 2012, 01:41 PM

Here in southern Maryland the wind has started to pick up some. I hope my car cover stays on.
Old October 29th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Registered Luser

Vista is now braving Sandy! Hopefully, we don't flood out. Tent probably won't make it...
Old October 29th, 2012, 02:07 PM

good luck erik, we are in the wind till tomorrow at least...... be safe
Old October 29th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Registered Luser

Thanks Eddie. You be safe as well.
Old October 29th, 2012, 02:32 PM

Hello to everyone, especially you other Long Island guys. I'm in Lindenhurst,NY.
I live 3 blocks north of Montauk Hwy, about 1.5 miles from the Great South Bay.
Montauk Hwy was closed at about 11am because the water crossed the road in several locations. We lost power at 11:30, but it has since come back on, although its been blinking a lot. I have friends who live on the water in Amityville, their street and house has been under water since this morning due to full moon high tides. People south of Montauk have been told to evacuate.
Fortunately mine and my neighbors house both sit up high from the street, although our houses are surrounded by 60-70' high Evergreens. In that last storm we lost 3 of them. As I am typing this the wind is unbelievable right now, and is supposed to get worse. My son-in-law is a FDNY fireman as well as a chief of the Copiague fire dept. and has yet to come home due to all the calls.
Good Luck and God Bless to everyone effected by the storm. I will post again later to update what's going on here, if we have power.

Best of luck, Frank.
Old October 29th, 2012, 02:49 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Very windy right now and have gotten about 8 inches of rain so far. No trees down around me yet. Some flooding around me now, within about 18 inches of Isabel. Lost a screen door to the wind. 40-50 mph steady with higher gusts

Larry

Last edited by lshlsh2; October 29th, 2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old October 29th, 2012, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Beteljuze
Good Luck and God Bless to everyone effected by the storm. I will post again later to update what's going on here, if we have power.

Best of luck, Frank.
Good luck rank and be safe I just heard a jogger was hit by a falling tree in prospect park really? Sometimes you can't fix stupid I mean jogging? In a hurricane really , saw lindenhurst on the tube wow, I saw port Jeff too wow high water mark in port Jeff will be billies saloon dayummmmm

Be careful and be safe all can be replaced except people
Old October 29th, 2012, 03:50 PM

6:50 PM in Trenton which is about 65 Miles from Atlantic City. News said Sandy has come ashore. Pretty gusty and strong winds, a couple of limbs down in the street but other than that it is pretty mild. Rainfall has been light as well. Am thankful so far.

Quick Reply: Hurricane Sandy