The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

GM announces re-birth of Oldsmobile division!!!

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Just an Olds Guy

GM announces re-birth of Oldsmobile division!!!

DETROIT (Oct. 9) - In a sign of resurgence and confidence among Detroit automakers, General Motors Corp. today said it would restore Oldsmobile, America's oldest automotive brand after a a 6 year hiatus from the market. This unexpected but welcome initiative on behalf of the new GM leadership restores a "pride of Americana" that seemed to disappear during the "cleansing" and financial backpedaling associated with production loss, job cuts and faltering market position prior to 2004.

GM, once the world's largest automaker believes that resurging economics and secret prototype technological advances will sweep the global market with the introduction of the 2014 Oldsmobile "Phantom TRX" Flex/hybrid planned for unveiling CEMA in 2013. The decision to reintroduce Oldsmobile apparently has been a closely guarded secret for the last 3 years. When asked, GM officials would not reveal the location of the 'secret' Oldsmobile devleopment team, although indications are somewhere in the Michigan area. When pressed for details about whether more divisions will be resurrected, reporters were greeted simply with an image reminiscent of the fabled "Alice in Wonderland" s Cheshire cat. All told, the company plans to increase production with more than 16,000 jobs in the United States and Canada. Spokespersons for the Obama and Harper administrations stated both leaders are fully behind this economic windfall and have pledged any needed gov't support for extension of the "clunker legislation" to ensure the prosperity and viability of the 'new' Oldsmobile.

In keeping with tradition, GM reports the ground breaking ceremonies for a new production line will be done in Lansing at the site of the abandoned Oldsmobile production factory. This seemingly nostalgic and touching ceremony is planned for Nov 11, 2010 to not only remember our war veterans, but the rebirth of a legend in the auto industry.

Confidential sources within GM revealed that the former industry giant is once again financially solvent and is planning to aggressively re-capture market share lost to Ford, Europe and the Asian markets. Oldsmobile was a founding cornerstone of GM and company executives unanimously agreed that a rebirth of that Brand would signal confidence in a new world market place. One analyst speculates that the nostalgic phrase "Young mobile thinking" will likely trigger a market reaction aimed at the potential middle income households. Rumored at this time, Oldsmobile plans to introduce only 4 lineups: a high end touring coupe (Phantom TRX), a crossover SUV (Universe CVT), a compact 5 door hybrid (Starling) and a carryover name from the by gone generations that made Oldsmobile a force to be reckoned with at the drag strip or crusing the turnpikes: the 442 RT-W.

Already noted in GM production of redesigned Chevrolet, Cadillac and Buick models is the refinement in quality control and consumer confidence. The new Oldsmobile line productions are anticipated to surpass all levels of industry standards and consumer expectation, while creating a market niche that Honda, Toyota and Nissan will envy. Car analysts from around the world are buzzing about this unveiling, but are witholding their opinions until a production model can be tested. One unidentified tester did venture a comment that if this is as good as it sounds, Oldsmobile may very well be the brand all other will be chasing for years to come.

This press release has been brought to you by the letters B, L and the number 2. Sorry,,, it was such a good fantasy running around in my head, I just had to share it with you..... Hope it inspires someone at GM to seriously think about it though. BTW, wait for next April 1st! I'm just glad you can't throw tomatoes through a computer. And before you get a chance to say it, Yes I know I'm a real s*&# at times. Learned it from Redgoat...
Old October 8th, 2010, 03:00 PM

It would be smart if they did that, but GM makes no mistakes, except for needing the gov't to bail them out
Old October 8th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Resident Eskie

That a good one.

Last edited by snowballs442; October 8th, 2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old October 8th, 2010, 03:52 PM

Thanks for the "what could be" story Allen, and yes I threw a tomato at the computer and now have a mess to clean up
Old October 8th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by citcapp
Thanks for the "what could be" story Allen, and yes I threw a tomato at the computer and now have a mess to clean up
Hey Pat!
I'm laughing with ya, not at ya! Save the mess for when you need tomato juice for a skunk spray! It was fun to write, and I gotta admit I kept seeing this vision of what could be dancing through my head, just like it was Christmas. Glad you enjoyed it.
Old October 8th, 2010, 06:16 PM

Hook, line, and sinker.
Old October 8th, 2010, 06:28 PM
GM Enthusiast

You had me going! If only someone at GM had that kind of foresight.
Old October 8th, 2010, 06:43 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Got me too.
Old October 8th, 2010, 07:25 PM

didn't fall for it. GM isn't that smart.
Old October 8th, 2010, 07:31 PM

you suck, lol
Old October 8th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Just the facts...

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Eightupman
didn't fall for it. GM isn't that smart.

bill
Old October 9th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Cutlass Lover

AllanR....... What a shi* you are!!!! I was all excited reading that. Glad I'm not the only one who believed it and thought "it's about time"!
Old October 9th, 2010, 08:40 AM

I fell for it too.
Old October 9th, 2010, 05:15 PM

Wished it were true, but as old as I am, I know it won't happen.
Old October 20th, 2010, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by FATRATMATT
Hook, line, and sinker.
Make that Hook, line, and stinker...
Old October 20th, 2010, 01:57 PM

I knew it was a hoax when you stated that the new facility would be built (Lansing) at the site of the old abandoned facility. The old assembly plant was torn down several years ago now and a new GM facility stands and builds new Caddys. Sad but true!
Old October 20th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Registered

I heard GM's going to be offering Oldsmobile and Pontiac option packages. They're going to use the Camaro as a base and bring back the 442 and GTO as Camaro "options". Using former Oldsmobile and Pontiac designers and engineers to stay true to the marque. Poncho and Olds modified engines and suspension, different sheet metal and trim, interiors are also going to be Olds and Pontiac exclusive.
Old October 20th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Now look what you started!!!!!
Old October 20th, 2010, 03:04 PM

I read that like I read all my college chapters once I read the 1st sentence and went "YEAH RIGHT!!!!".
Skipped to the end, and cherry picked that it was fake.

Saved myself a bunch of reading.
It will never happen......
Old October 20th, 2010, 06:03 PM

A sad state of affairs. What was once a huge company building multiple brands and models is now crippled. VERY SAD
Old October 20th, 2010, 08:16 PM

For what it cost to buy out the Olds dealers from their agreements, there can never be another Oldsmobile built, so no being sucked in for me!
Old October 21st, 2010, 05:59 AM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

I was on my way out the door to get one!

What an A$$h@#e you are!

I wish........

--Don
Old October 21st, 2010, 06:01 AM

Maybe it is better that Olds rests in peace. I could not stand to see a hybrid Olds...
Old October 21st, 2010, 06:21 AM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Maybe it is better that Olds rests in peace. I could not stand to see a hybrid Olds...
What about a wind-up Olds?
Old October 21st, 2010, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I heard GM's going to be offering Oldsmobile and Pontiac option packages. They're going to use the Camaro as a base and bring back the 442 and GTO as Camaro "options". Using former Oldsmobile and Pontiac designers and engineers to stay true to the marque. Poncho and Olds modified engines and suspension, different sheet metal and trim, interiors are also going to be Olds and Pontiac exclusive.
Actually this isn't that far fetched.
A custom shop that I work with here in Lincoln has already built several 2010 "Trans Am" conversions based on the Camaro.
http://www.ottobody.com/sema09.htm
And they have plans for other "RetroMods" including a GTO and a Cougar.