The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Forest fire concerns tonight

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2014, 07:16 PM

Forest fire concerns tonight

There is a forest fire just getting going good in the canyon just north of my home , way to close not to be nervous. It's called the Web fire and so far there is no containment. It started in probably the most remote staright up and down timbered area it could have and if the wind picks up we will be loading up tonight and moving our stuff off the hill. So far the wind is minimal.

They have gotten some equipment close (no roads)with three planes and almost 200 fire fighters but the only way to get to it is from the top of the mountain and having a fire climbing up from below you is never a good idea.

Hard to get a good picture because of all the trees but here is a picture from my back deck those clouds are not clouds but smoke. Not much sleep expected tonight....Tedd
Attached Images
Old July 28th, 2014, 08:11 PM
Old School Olds

Thoughts are with you Tedd.
Old July 28th, 2014, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Hope everything turns out ok for the you and the folks in your area.
Old July 28th, 2014, 10:05 PM

It sounds like your prepared, which is good. Consider the things like family photos, valuable papers, things that would be difficult to replace. Have that in the cars and be ready if need be. I don't know your access, do you have more than one way out? Its not just the fire front but potentially embers traveling in the smoke column that can cause spot fires. I've personally seen spot fires over a mile from the main fire, and heard stories of spots starting three miles away in extreme situations. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, but be prepared to leave at a moments notice and don't hesitate to leave earlier than later.

John
Old July 29th, 2014, 08:25 AM

Update

Looks like the Forest Service is getting a handle on the fire.They put a huge amount of resources on it, planes and helicopters flew till dark and the crews worked all through the night. The Update from Ca Fire web site is behind whats really going on but my neighbor who has a scanner and is involved with the air tankers that are flying on this fire said that the guys working on the fire felt they had it pretty much under control and if the wind doesn't come up they should have it surrounded by tonight.

Very little smoke this morning (wind is blowing from the south and the fire is to the north) and I'm felling a lot better about the out look on everything. By tonight the drama should be completely gone and I can start putting stuff that's in the car back in the house.....Tedd
Old July 29th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Sounds like good news, again hope everything works out.
Old July 29th, 2014, 02:12 PM

New update

Geese maybe I was a little optimistic , I just got the update on the fire and it has almost doubled in size(about 525 acres ) and the containment is the same.The amount of equipment being used has also doubled they now have forty fire engines, four air tankers ,six helicopters, and six dozers. They gotta be bumping into each other with that crowd.

The wind is still from the south so I think the fire is being pushed away rather than toward us and that is good. We will see what happens tonight if the wind changes ...Tedd
Old July 29th, 2014, 03:10 PM

Good luck, we have a lot of fires here in Idaho, I've had to go up to my brother in laws ranch a couple of times to help man the home made fire truck for range fires, they are scary enough can't emagine having a forest fire to deal with.