The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Ever do anything stupid in a car back in the day?

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2014, 11:07 AM
71 cutlass convertible

I guess the craziest didn't invovle speed but weather. In college(photgraphy school)about 4 of us decided to head to a roomates house to take pictures of Niagara Falls for a project. Left Providence RI it was rain, at Mass boarder freezing rain got some neat pics of the berkshires all iced up and blizzard across NY to Towanda NY. Should have picked a different weekend. Car was my 85 chevy citationII 4 speed.

Same trip went to Toronto For a Maple Leaf game had to drive back in another blizzard.

1000 miles of wheather that I would stay home in now. Was great fun and got some great pictures.

Larry
Old October 20th, 2014, 01:09 PM

Oh Yeah, In a car and at the Log Cabin Motel.
I got my driver license in 1965, in 1967, 18 years old, working on the C&O Railroad, I bought a 66 Chevelle SS 396, 360 hp, 4spd, I did plenty of stupid stuff. Two divorces and over 300 cars later I haven't matured much, just got old,,,, thankfully.

Mike
Old October 20th, 2014, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by 66luvr
Oh Yeah, In a car and at the Log Cabin Motel.
I got my driver license in 1965, in 1967, 18 years old, working on the C&O Railroad, I bought a 66 Chevelle SS 396, 360 hp, 4spd, I did plenty of stupid stuff. Two divorces and over 300 cars later I haven't matured much, just got old,,,, thankfully.

Mike
Wow, how did you manage to go thru 300 cars??????
Old October 20th, 2014, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by RandyS
Wow, how did you manage to go thru 300 cars??????
Really?
I discovered I could make money doing it, I love cars anyway, so I just did it/ do it.
What's better than having a lot of fun while you make a buck? Yeah, I already admitted I like the other fun things life offers.

Mike
Old October 20th, 2014, 03:31 PM

One Sunday afternoon as sober as a judge I was doing donuts in the middle of downtown main street in my 68 Z28 that had a very well built 302. A cop saw us and kicked on his lights and I proceeded to lose him and some others along the way to parking in the back yard on a side street. At one time during the chase my buddy and I blew through a red light at well over a hundred. I lost what turned out to be about half a dozen officers but the woman whose back yard I parked in called the Police and clued then in to where I was parked. The cops wrote me thirteen tickets,took me in but let me post my own $35 bond because that was how much I had in my pocket.They gave me a ride to my car in the impound lot and I was back on main street by late afternoon. My attorney charged me $500 and got it all reduced to unsafe tires. In hindsight there wasn't any good lesson learned.
Old October 20th, 2014, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Lesson learned... Don't get caught.
Old October 20th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Not a back in the day moment as im 25 but when I was 19 and I just got done restoring my cutlass I took my dad with me for a ride to pick some parts up. I decided to let the girl breath and ran it wide open down a side street. My dad was pretty impressed and I think he was glad he didn't crap his pants lol. Well there was a cop hiding in someones drive way and he finally pulls around the corner as im pulling into my street and wouldn't you know it he pulls me over in front of my parents house lol. The first thing the cop asked my dad is "why are you letting him do this " My dad's response was "he's crazy" the cop let me off with a warning as all the neighbors watched. Oh the joy lol. There has been many more Like the constant holeshots in the alley by my dads work where I do my "testing" / "tuning" . But I have gotten lucky and only been pulled over once in the 72.
Old October 20th, 2014, 06:28 PM

I could tell stories for weeks. One of the more ironic ones was doing 90 up Commercial street, hitting some black ice , taking out the tree planted in the yard of the parent of my future wife.
"Hello my name is Mike, sorry about your tree" The rest as they say is history.
Mike
Old October 21st, 2014, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Not a back in the day moment as im 25 but when I was 19 and I just got done restoring my cutlass I took my dad with me for a ride to pick some parts up. I decided to let the girl breath and ran it wide open down a side street. My dad was pretty impressed and I think he was glad he didn't crap his pants lol. Well there was a cop hiding in someones drive way and he finally pulls around the corner as im pulling into my street and wouldn't you know it he pulls me over in front of my parents house lol. The first thing the cop asked my dad is "why are you letting him do this " My dad's response was "he's crazy" the cop let me off with a warning as all the neighbors watched. Oh the joy lol. There has been many more Like the constant holeshots in the alley by my dads work where I do my "testing" / "tuning" . But I have gotten lucky and only been pulled over once in the 72.
LOL.....Gee thanks, Dad.My Dad thought I was crazy too. But I've heard a few of HIS stories and well......
Old October 21st, 2014, 02:41 PM

After drinking one night and on my way back to base in Gulfport Ms I did a Dukes of a Hazard in my 65 442 across train tracks. I must have been about 3" off the ground. I wasn't thinking clearly until the car came down and the cross-member scraped the road.