The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Ever do anything stupid in a car back in the day?

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2014, 03:16 PM

Me personally?I was way too busy going to Sunday school and helping little old ladies cross the street. I think it must have helped because the night my buddy and I ran from the cops trying to bust us drag racing nobody died. He had a '67 Fairlane with a 351 Cleveland in it and we were winning against a hot little V-8 Falcon of some sort when the cops hit the lights. The Falcon stopped we didn't. 5 miles down the road the rearend started to shake and when we checked we only had 2 lugnuts left on right rear wheel.
Old October 16th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Yeah, it usually started with ... "here hold my beer and watch this..."
Old October 16th, 2014, 03:48 PM

^The final words of some of my dead relatives!!!
Old October 16th, 2014, 04:03 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Yeah, it usually started with ... "here hold my beer and watch this..."
I just fell out of my lazy boy spilled my drink laughing mao!!! I didn't have time to yell for my wife to hold onto my drink!! Ahhh too funny.
Old October 16th, 2014, 04:13 PM

1970... 3 AM... just finished helping a friend modify the carb linkage on his Challenger 440 6 pack. Took the car out, found a straight stretch of road and dropped the hammer... which stayed dropped! Obviously a miscalculation in the modification. We ended up missing a curve and going straight up some poor guy's driveway into his back yard before we got the thing stopped.

Not sure which cleanup was worse, the guy's driveway or the seats of the car...
Old October 16th, 2014, 04:20 PM

OMG - too many to even think about listing. Outran the cops twice, once in my 57 Chevy when I was 17 and had too much to drink, once in my first 66 442 drag racing leaving an intersection. Red Light, Sireeeeeen, the other guy stopped. Me, AMF.......
PM me if you don't know what AMF stands for.... the first word is Adios ..
Old October 16th, 2014, 05:12 PM

I think the list would be shorter if I related the things I did that weren't stupid in a car back in the day.

Scott
Old October 16th, 2014, 05:17 PM

I'd like to see the dude who could hang the throttle on a 440 six-pack and NOT crap his britches!!!!
Old October 16th, 2014, 06:05 PM

I raced a newish Z28 in 2006 the last body style before they quit making Camaros, it was fast. I was in my 65 Vette, just turned a corner to wait for him to catch up, when he went roaring by me. By the way it was in 5:00 traffic at one of the busiest intersections in Lubbock. There were cars everywhere! People on their way home. I hit it and caught the Z, just at the same time I saw the lights in my mirror, holy underwear I about crapped my jeans. I was doing at least 90, pulled over the Z got away. Young cop off duty with a friend. He saw how scared i was LOL, man I was shaking. Didnt have a current insurance paper. They had just passed a city ordnance that if caught racing you get arrested, car towed, $1500 fine and lose liscense for a year. Thats because so many young kids were racing. He leaned into my window said "man this is a nice car, I had to stop you, all these cars saw you, saw me I had no choice. Your car was fish tailing all over the road back there" I literally looked like I had Parkinsons LOL i was shaking so bad. Then he says "Im gonna let you go" I couldnt believe it, really no reason he should have but I was soooo relieved!!! I told him thanks so much. Hadnt had a race since, but i have tested it on occasion.
Old October 16th, 2014, 06:32 PM

Back in the day chasing rabbits in a 1000 acre harvested barley field at night(about 2AM) in my 46 Chevy pickup. Had the windshield propped open with a stick so I could shoot right out front over the steering wheel with my Ruger mark 1 22. Great fun with AWI and the score was Tedd 2 rabbits 0 till I hit a badger hole at 30 mph, stick flew up and out windshield fell down and hit the Ruger. Of course it went off and left a nice bullet hole in the windshield just above the steering wheel. I drove that truck for years having to explain what direction the bullet was going as it passed through the windshield. The luck of youth....Tedd
Old October 16th, 2014, 07:20 PM

Pop's 62 Chevy Belair 2spd auto straight 6. It had a hole in the muffler and sounded cool...I was 17. I come on the highway entry ramp and drop it manually into low and floor it. I get it up to about 40 or so and move the selector in drive, so I thought as I went too far and hit reverse. Wow wheels locked up and tires squealed. I pop it back into drive and all is well. Man I would have hated to have to explain what happened if I busted someting.
Old October 16th, 2014, 07:33 PM

Almost everyday. I think the worst was getting caught doing 105 mph in a hospital zone. The limit was 25mph. When he caught me, I got a 15 minute lecture about what could have happened if a car pulled out in front of me or a kid stepped out onto the street. I promised him I would never drive like that again and he let me go because he was a friend. This was in my first car out of high school, a 1965 Cutlass convertible.
Old October 16th, 2014, 07:50 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

'70 Chevelle SS on a deserted local highway at 03:00.

Had recently got the car, front suspension was shot (one lower control arm bushing completely wallowed out, others just bad), Worn T/As in the front, Mickey Thompson grooved 60s on the back.

It was raining.

Thought, "I wonder how fast this thing'll go anyway."

Put the hammer down and ran it through all four gears.

It shook a lot. It vibrated. Around a calculated 135mph on the tach, it felt as though the car lifted off the ground, and the steering felt disconnected.
I suddenly got the very strong feeling that if I moved anything, anything, the car would no longer be travelling forward with the wheels down and the roof up.

I very gently began to lift my foot off the gas, just a bit at a time, and the car slowed down to below exit velocity over a period of what felt like an hour.

There were no cops, but there were no angels either, except for the one that must've been sitting right over my shoulder.

- Eric
Old October 16th, 2014, 07:51 PM

Had a date with a cute blond in my 61 Vette. Was getting very serious until I learned she was 14.
Old October 16th, 2014, 08:28 PM

Red face

I tried to race a 73 cuda with 340 bading with a 69 cutlass 350. I think I might have won if the cuda did not have red lights hiding in the grill and the driver wearing a badge and a gun. After a whole lot of talking (yes Sir, No Sir) I was free to go about my business.
Old October 16th, 2014, 09:00 PM

1. Approximately 135 mph in a 1968 Road Runner with bias ply Mickey Thompson redlines back in 1990.

2. Ran my 1 week old 1992 Plymouth Duster 3.0 V6 5 speed until it hit the governor (I forget now where it was set, 114-117 mph?). It was night, there was a big ball of flame out the exhaust in the rear view mirror, and the car started to slow down on it's own. I thought I blew the motor in my first new car after 1 week. Boy was I relieved when it was just the governor kicking in and dumping raw gas into the exhaust!

3. 125 mph running red to a domestic with a knife call in a 1992 Crown Vic. I've since learned to slow down a bit. Damn rookies!

4. Was getting new tires the next day. Had to finish off the old ones!:
Old October 16th, 2014, 09:43 PM
Hookers under Hood

A cop pulled me over in my 1991 lumina Z-34 and asked me why I was trying to loose him in traffic after he put the lights on me. I told him my wife had run off with a cop a few weeks ago and I thought it was him bringing her back. I got a $108. fine back in 1992 and he had the nerve to call me a smart ***.

Last edited by 76olds; October 16th, 2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old October 16th, 2014, 10:36 PM

Yeah, as a high school kid I drove a '70 Supreme 310 hp 350. Every day involved a stupid event.
Old October 16th, 2014, 10:47 PM

More than I can count. Of course my wife has never so much as not put a seat belt on (if you listen to her tell it) every time we see a kid doing something dumb she starts in with "if I ever hear about Ford (my 3 year old) driving like that when he gets his lic.....blah blah blah". I just laugh.

I can't say much. Sure wouldn't have anything to say to him. I've done it all and then some. Lol
Old October 16th, 2014, 11:42 PM

Friend gets a turbo off a tractor, we mate it to a Ford Windsor exhaust manifold then build a FITS motor ( Found in the shed) 302.
It runs and we mate it to a C4(also found in the shed)
Friend sources a car, 1977 Datsun (Nissan?) 180B SSS.
Bit of surgery later and OMG!!!
That was a lot of fun while it lasted, a lot of people smoked at the lights left wondering what happened
Old October 17th, 2014, 12:13 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Drove down to the beach one night with my girlfriend.
When I felt water on my feet we realised we had got too involved in other matters to remember the tide would come in.....

I had to shovel half a ton of sand out of it the next day before it could be pulled off to go to the junkyard.

Roger.
Old October 17th, 2014, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jerry the wrench
I'd like to see the dude who could hang the throttle on a 440 six-pack and NOT crap his britches!!!!
Many cars have an ignition switch that enables the engine to be shut off.

Sometimes in a panic the obvious gets overlooked.
Old October 17th, 2014, 06:41 AM

obviously takes some doing to just grab for the key.things are happening fast.

Last edited by Jerry the wrench; October 17th, 2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old October 17th, 2014, 08:26 AM

Inadvertently double gasketed the oil filter on my '65 F-85(My first car)and when I punched the gas(about ten minutes later) it blew off and emptied the crankcase in about 2 seconds.Kilt it dead.
Old October 17th, 2014, 08:30 AM

I still do dumb stuff in my car.
Old October 17th, 2014, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by lazy394
Friend gets a turbo off a tractor, we mate it to a Ford Windsor exhaust manifold then build a FITS motor ( Found in the shed) 302.
It runs and we mate it to a C4(also found in the shed)
Friend sources a car, 1977 Datsun (Nissan?) 180B SSS.
Bit of surgery later and OMG!!!
That was a lot of fun while it lasted, a lot of people smoked at the lights left wondering what happened
That's not so stupid.....In the U.S. that's just.....Tuesday.
Old October 17th, 2014, 08:49 AM

Over corrected my mom's "Deuce and a quarter [Electra 225] one rainy day and went backwards through the nicest bermuda sod lawns in NW Atlanta. I think he used manicure sizzors on the place.

Looked like a D-9 had gone through it. Took a weeks pay in quarters to get the mud out of the bumper.

Pop found out anyway and I spent spring breakof my junior year laying new sod in the guys front yard. "Green side Up"
Old October 17th, 2014, 09:23 AM

The last post reminded me of another:

5. I was driving my 1970 Dodge Super Bee (383, Hurst Pistolgrip 4 speed, Ramcharger hood, 3.91 Suregrip, fat Mickey Thompson Indy Profiles out back) after dark one night and got caught in a heavy rain on a 5 lane street in the shopping district. Traffic was heavy in both directions, with cars in front of, behind, and beside me. The guy in front of me went through the intersection, then, without warning or turn signal ahead of time, hit the brakes and waited until oposing traffic cleared to cross 2 lanes of traffic and the turn lane to pull into a gas station on the far side of the road (note: he was not IN the turn lane...THAT would have helped). Surprised by his sudden stop, I slammed on my brakes and the Mickeys started hydroplaning ("Oh GAWD, can you imagine how hard and expensive it's going to be to replace grille, bumper, fenders, and Ramcharger hood on this thing!"). Impact was inevitable, so I swerved to the left of the guy stopped in front of me. My back end passed my front end and I did a 180° right in front of oncoming heavy traffic. The car came to rest perfectly in the right lane of oncoming traffic, with me facing the intersection. I popped the clutch and hopped up to the stop line for the intersection and waited on the red light like nothing had happened. One of those life moments I wish I would have had on video.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1970-super-bee1.jpg (65.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg
1970-super-bee-carlisle.jpg (63.7 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Hurst/Olds 73/74; October 17th, 2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old October 17th, 2014, 10:57 AM

Back in the early 90's, in Kingston Ont., I had a 1979 Chev Malibu with a rebuilt 283 SB. Worked great. One night I street raced an 81' Cutlass Calais off the light, I'm in the right lane. I was just shy of a car length ahead when we came around a curve & suddenly there was a pickup truck right there in front of me. By this time we're already doing about 120 kph in a 60 km zone. It was either go left & take out the cutlass, stay straight & pile into the back of the truck, or go for the gravel shoulder which had Collins Bay on the other side of it. I ended up literally on the right side of the pickup, feathering the brake, on the gravel, trying to slow down & stay out of the bay. Finally got stopped & sat for a minute or two. Friend of mine in the passenger seat just sat looking wide eyed at the water a mear 6 inchs away & deciding whether he needed new shorts or not. Needless to say didn't race around that section of road again.

Last edited by rcrac3r; October 24th, 2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old October 17th, 2014, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hurst/Olds 73/74
The last post reminded me of another:

5. I was driving my 1970 Dodge Super Bee (383, Hurst Pistolgrip 4 speed, Ramcharger hood, 3.91 Suregrip, fat Mickey Thompson Indy Profiles out back) after dark one night and got caught in a heavy rain on a 5 lane street in the shopping district. Traffic was heavy in both directions, with cars in front of, behind, and beside me. The guy in front of me went through the intersection, then, without warning or turn signal ahead of time, hit the brakes and waited until oposing traffic cleared to cross 2 lanes of traffic and the turn lane to pull into a gas station on the far side of the road (note: he was not IN the turn lane...THAT would have helped). Surprised by his sudden stop, I slammed on my brakes and the Mickeys started hydroplaning ("Oh GAWD, can you imagine how hard and expensive it's going to be to replace grille, bumper, fenders, and Ramcharger hood on this thing!"). Impact was inevitable, so I swerved to the left of the guy stopped in front of me. My back end passed my front end and I did a 180° right in front of oncoming heavy traffic. The car came to rest perfectly in the right lane of oncoming traffic, with me facing the intersection. I popped the clutch and hopped up to the stop line for the intersection and waited on the red light like nothing had happened. One of those life moments I wish I would have had on video.
Gotta love a '70 Super Bee.That is (was?) an awesome car.
Old October 17th, 2014, 01:01 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by 76olds
a cop pulled me over in my 1991 lumina z-34 and asked me why i was trying to loose him in traffic after he put the lights on me. I told him my wife had run off with a cop a few weeks ago and i thought it was him bringing her back. I got a $108. Fine back in 1992 and he had the nerve to call me a smart ***.
lmao
Old October 17th, 2014, 03:15 PM

Proposed
Old October 17th, 2014, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by m371961
Proposed
you win.
Old October 17th, 2014, 05:10 PM

I was driving one of my $200.00 '72 Cutlass Supremes back about '88 or so? On the way to work up I65 in down town Indianapolis rush hour traffic in the rain. I had mostly bald, Eagle STs all around & while going around a gentle corner, apparently a little to fast, did a 360 while just gently tapping the left front fender corner & right rear bumper corner against the guard rail. While I was spinning around facing on coming traffic, I noticed a Semi truck right behind(now facing) me. 80 I completed my spin & got off the next exit to check myself & the car. Almost no damage to the car but totally scared the crap out of me. I learned a lot about bald tires & wet pavement that day!
Old October 17th, 2014, 06:26 PM

I done some real stupid things back in the day. The sad thing is I did not drink so i had no excuse other than being stupid. I was with a friend running 80MPH and hit a 15 foot high rail road hump. I have no idea how high we were but I have no doubt that we were over 20 foot in the air. It was an 85 F150 extra cab long bed. We hit nose first with the front bumper and almost tossed us out the windshield. Some how we drove away with no injuries to us. The truck was another story but it did drive for several years after that.
Old October 17th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by m371961
Proposed
I suppose "Paradise by the dashboard light" was your theme.
Old October 19th, 2014, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry the wrench
That's not so stupid.....In the U.S. that's just.....Tuesday.

Sounds like I need to move
Old October 20th, 2014, 05:54 AM

Thanked God for FWD

Was sicker than a dog one day. Needed to get meds.
Took the Toro ('66) instead of the DD. Can't remember why.
Backed out of the garage and down the long driveway that was at a slight angle. CLUNK!
Right rear tire had gone off the edge of the driveway near the street, where there was a small ditch with a concrete culvert/steel pipe.
The FWD enabled me to pull forward and out of the ditch.
Thankfully, only a small dent in the gas tank.
I had thought much more damage occurred.
Old October 20th, 2014, 07:57 AM

1963 cruising the back roads in my 48 ford pickup with Danny and Steve 1/2 rack of beer just being cool. Passed by two chicks in a 57 bird. Decided to give chase. Didn't know the road we were on a could just see their tail lights as we started to gain. No idea of speed as that part of the truck didn't work. Came over a rise into a hard right turn almost made it but the gravel on the shoulder did us in took out a series of mail boxes and rolled a couple of time into the farmers field. Danny broke his wrist other then that no injuries. The farmer came with his tractor and we got the truck upright. The farmer kept the title of the truck until I replaced the mail boxes and fixed the fence. The rest of the story at another time
Old October 20th, 2014, 10:49 AM

There are simply not enough characters in this text field to even begin...it is a miracle I survived up to my 20's...

Quick Reply: Ever do anything stupid in a car back in the day?