The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

"It even smells like my old car"

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2020, 06:34 PM

"It even smells like my old car"

Fun story. So I picked up a 1969 98 2Dr Rag top super nice condition at a garage sale in 98...

Paid4k for it put another 1.3k in improvements to the chassis suspension and some work on the tuning. After I drove it for a year and a half A guy met me in the parking lot at Farm&Fleet looking at "Maybaline" . His statement went like this... " You must own the car car the way your walking up on me"

I said "yes" he said " I had a 98 just like this in high school only a four door, do you want to sell it? Well?? I am thinking about it..... as a matter of fact I am..., Can we take it for a ride? as soon as he stepped into the car he said " This even smells like my old car" I knew He will appreciate "Mayballine" (He owned one just like her)

My response " If I can get what I have in it ... yes..." Him "How much?".... 6500.00

Let me talk to the wife, 45min later I'll take her... Mayballine was his.

What reminds of this story tonight is I took the 72 Supreme Cutlass my brother gave me, for a shake down cruise and burn some fuel and I noticed " The smell" of this car is 1972.

Memories are sparked by different things for different people. I only hope some of you guys appreciate the "Smell" of all your memories as much as I have noticed some of mine, cars, fuel, dirt bikes, fishing on a lake with no one else around, and try to make some those memories for the ones in your life that mean something to you for future gens to come. Crazy I know but my observation for the night...

Keith

Old July 3rd, 2020, 06:47 AM
72 Olds CS

Everytime a carburated car goes by my son comments on the old car smell. Ragtops have their own old car smell lol!

A while back my bud resurrected his 78 PE 250, we went for a couple rides, all the other bikes in thegroup are 4 strokes so he was required to ride in the back. I have a couple pics of him coming up a hill w a blue cloud behind him! Still mixing at 32:1 good times
Old July 3rd, 2020, 07:39 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by otto72
Memories are sparked by different things for different people. I only hope some of you guys appreciate the "Smell" of all your memories as much as I have noticed some of mine...
Keith, you're right. Smell memories are definitely powerful.

I got my first inkling of that as a young teen when a great uncle came to visit after being away for 60 years. We walked down to the neighborhood creek where he played as a child and as soon as we got there he told me, "It still smells the same."
Old July 3rd, 2020, 08:11 AM

When, I was a kid my grandfather decided to move from Chicago to the PHX area he had a pristine 1957 Olds Super 88 2 door coupe a kind of a caramel color and white combination I loved that car!! it had protective seat covers, clear the kind that look like the packing material they use on fragile pieces when shipping,He decided he didn't want to make the trip IL to PHX in that car so he went and bought a yellow 69 (I believe) Olds Delta 88 he didn't trade the 57 he gave my old man first crack, a no brainier for the old man he always had 1 step from the scrap yard beaters (mom drove the good cars) and this was a opportunity to have a garage kept beauty it only had about 31 k on it. This was before I had my license.In the winter I used to volunteer to go start it up just to hear it run and listen to heater components switch as I operated the controls ( is that weird?) I remember the green cold light, this thing was loaded with wonder bar radio and fac air ,I couldn't wait for my license because this would be the veh I would be using !! sadly that never happened !! the old man was on his way home from work one rainy day stopped at a intersection waiting for the light when a Jones Motor freight truck rear ended him ruining that beautiful, beautiful car!! it was still drive able but he gave to my oldest sister who was in dire need of a vehicle I never got to drive it !!!
What does this have to do with smell ? well that car smelled like Grandpa kind of a combination of Aqua Velva, Ben-Gay and moth ***** !! the smell never left the car, !!! I dont think I will ever smell that smell again but if I did it would take me back again to That 57 Olds and my Gramps !

Last edited by solly; July 3rd, 2020 at 08:14 AM. Reason: edit
Old July 3rd, 2020, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Everytime a carburated car goes by my son comments on the old car smell. Ragtops have their own old car smell lol!

A while back my bud resurrected his 78 PE 250, we went for a couple rides, all the other bikes in thegroup are 4 strokes so he was required to ride in the back. I have a couple pics of him coming up a hill w a blue cloud behind him! Still mixing at 32:1 good times
Yes, so neat your son notices that smell... you and he have been spending the quality time with a good Dad.
2strokes evoke memories from us being lucky Kids...
Old July 3rd, 2020, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by solly
When, I was a kid my grandfather decided to move from Chicago to the PHX area he had a pristine 1957 Olds Super 88 2 door coupe a kind of a caramel color and white combination I loved that car!! it had protective seat covers, clear the kind that look like the packing material they use on fragile pieces when shipping,He decided he didn't want to make the trip IL to PHX in that car so he went and bought a yellow 69 (I believe) Olds Delta 88 he didn't trade the 57 he gave my old man first crack, a no brainier for the old man he always had 1 step from the scrap yard beaters (mom drove the good cars) and this was a opportunity to have a garage kept beauty it only had about 31 k on it. This was before I had my license.In the winter I used to volunteer to go start it up just to hear it run and listen to heater components switch as I operated the controls ( is that weird?) I remember the green cold light, this thing was loaded with wonder bar radio and fac air ,I couldn't wait for my license because this would be the veh I would be using !! sadly that never happened !! the old man was on his way home from work one rainy day stopped at a intersection waiting for the light when a Jones Motor freight truck rear ended him ruining that beautiful, beautiful car!! it was still drive able but he gave to my oldest sister who was in dire need of a vehicle I never got to drive it !!!
What does this have to do with smell ? well that car smelled like Grandpa kind of a combination of Aqua Velva, Ben-Gay and moth ***** !! the smell never left the car, !!! I dont think I will ever smell that smell again but if I did it would take me back again to That 57 Olds and my Gramps !
Such a neat story, thanks for sharing. Not weird at all for pretend cruising Gramps car..., That Stout car may have saved Dads life. I think it is the normal for all that pay attention to the things in life that matter. I too remember a green cold light but can't put my finger which car it was in...
Again Solly thanks for sharing your memories. The one thing we make every day, just don't know when we will recall them. Maybe the smell?