The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Dog owners, I'm looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2015, 03:33 PM

Dog owners, I'm looking for advice

The wife and I both grew up on farms with plenty of dogs around. Together though, we've always had cats. Through last year we had four but we are now down to one; buried the third on Monday night

Anyway, we're discussing getting a dog (a rescue). We live in the country and have no plans on moving (knock on wood). Mostly it's bean and corn fields for miles. Nice and flat countryside so if it runs away we can keep an eye on it for a few days But we both work long days; 10 hours being typical.
We don't want to chain it up outside or go the doghouse route. I've done some reading about underground fences but those seem problematic.
And it gets cold here in the winter. The past couple have gotten below zero + windchill.
The more I write this the more I think it's not a great idea but I'd like your thoughts.
The goofy thing is; even though we work long days, I have summers off.
Old February 11th, 2015, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Macadoo
The wife and I both grew up on farms with plenty of dogs around. Together though, we've always had cats. Through last year we had four but we are now down to one; buried the third on Monday night

Anyway, we're discussing getting a dog (a rescue). We live in the country and have no plans on moving (knock on wood). Mostly it's bean and corn fields for miles. Nice and flat countryside so if it runs away we can keep an eye on it for a few days But we both work long days; 10 hours being typical.
We don't want to chain it up outside or go the doghouse route. I've done some reading about underground fences but those seem problematic.
And it gets cold here in the winter. The past couple have gotten below zero + windchill.
The more I write this the more I think it's not a great idea but I'd like your thoughts.
The goofy thing is; even though we work long days, I have summers off.
We have had 4 different Golden Retrievers over the last 30 years. They are our kids, and are inside dogs. Each of them has been able to 'hold it' when necessary over 10 hours. (run like hell out the door when we do get home).
We currently have a male Golden, and a female Malamute, him fine for however long he has to wait, her - not so much.
Old February 11th, 2015, 04:13 PM

I live in the city with fenced back yards and I still have to contend with coyotes. They roam the neighborhood looking for things to eat - rabbits, cats, small dogs, whatever. Something to consider if you plan on getting a smaller dog.
Old February 11th, 2015, 04:25 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I'm in favor of mutts, and mutts that run on the small side.

Why?
No genetic problems with hips, knees, teeth, etc.
Few, if any dietary issues, diabetes, etc.
Longer lifespan (smaller dogs seem to make it past 15 or even 18 pretty easily).
Smaller dogs can manage better when cooped up for a while.

A big, bouncy buddy is great, except when he needs to walk outdoors three times a day, when he needs to eat three times as much as you do twice a day, or when he gets older, and you're carrying all 90 pounds of him up and down the stairs to pee in the middle of the night.

A 20-40 pound dog is great, can manage outdoors just fine, has a big enough bark to be scary, and can bite damned hard.

Find something that is a combination of breeds you never imagined being in the same place at the same time.

- Eric
Old February 11th, 2015, 04:44 PM

We're looking at a Border Collie mix (didn't know until now that that's what Copper has). He was beaten by the PO so is a little shaky around strangers. I've considered the coyote issue but he shouldn't really be outside unsupervised. Plus, 6 1/2 years our four cats didn't have any trouble and they were outside whenever they wanted to be.
The discussion continues here at home.
Old February 11th, 2015, 04:44 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by MDchanic

Why?
Longer lifespan (smaller dogs seem to make it past 15 or even 18 pretty easily).

A big, bouncy buddy is great, except when he needs to walk outdoors three times a day, when he needs to eat three times as much as you do twice a day, or when he gets older, and you're carrying all 90 pounds of him up and down the stairs to pee in the middle of the night.

A 20-40 pound dog is great, can manage outdoors just fine, has a big enough bark to be scary, and can bite damned hard.

Find something that is a combination of breeds you never imagined being in the same place at the same time.

- Eric
Lol
So true never really thought about it

Mac not sure what your long day is but I have a palm and a mixed corgi that I rescued, it took her a year to warm up to me and three years to warm up to my wife. I have had her 5 years now and is one of the best dogs I've ever had the pleaser of owning. Very protective my wife and I can't even play around with out her jumping in and (warning ) the aggressor. Any way shot off subject but we kenal them during the day and they do great during the night and day they only roam the house when were home
One stays in the kenal even when we are home
Old February 11th, 2015, 04:46 PM

Meet Shep...

[IMG][/IMG]
Old February 11th, 2015, 05:12 PM

Meet Shep...

[IMG][/IMG]
Cute! Is that his WTF look?
Old February 11th, 2015, 05:14 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Thumbs up

Mac, I live on a 250 acre farm just outside a small town. I have owned 2 dogs, both labs. With both, I spent a lot of time teaching them not to wonder...but it takes time! That said, the rewards are great...I have a constant companion who never strays far. This said, also depends on breed...

The coyote problem has become an issue within the last few months....I now go out with him when he does his nightly business, and if I do go off the property for a period of time I will put him in the house. I say go for it! And you will have the pleasure of saving a dog

Ted
Old February 11th, 2015, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by RandyS
Cute! Is that his WTF look?
Lol, that's his "why aren't you taking me home RIGHT NOW" look.

Originally Posted by sammy
Mac, I live on a 250 acre farm just outside a small town. I have owned 2 dogs, both labs. With both, I spent a lot of time teaching them not to wonder...but it takes time! That said, the rewards are great...I have a constant companion who never strays far. This said, also depends on breed...

The coyote problem has become an issue within the last few months....I now go out with him when he does his nightly business, and if I do go off the property for a period of time I will put him in the house. I say go for it! And you will have the pleasure of saving a dog

Ted
Man, that's a good one for the "we should do it" column.
Old February 11th, 2015, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic

Why?

- Eric
Not exactly like feeding a cat, is it. Or four cats. Mostly dry food or wet/canned? Do the pee pads work pretty well for training?
Old February 11th, 2015, 06:12 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

shep01.jpg

Looks like a border collie to me.

Watch out for these - they're probably smarter than you are, and if you don't train them and keep them busy, they'll train you and keep you busy.

As for food, ever since the Chinese poison dog food scare a few years ago, my wife has refused to feed the dog dog food. She either cooks it meals, or we give it "dog chicken" - those rotisserie chickens from the supermarket.
The dog's a 20 pound dachshund/chihuahua mix that looks like a tan dachshund with chihuahua feet (long toes) and ears, with a retriever's head screwed on to it, with a bark like a hunting dog.
She's one of the ugliest dogs I've seen, and dumb as a stick, but very affectionate and viciously loyal and protective.
One of those chickens, at about four bucks, makes about four meals for her, and we only feed her once a day (she has dry food the rest of the time if she needs it, but steals the cats' dry food instead).

If I'm away all day, she'll hold it in for 14 hours (though I try not to do this).

- Eric
Old February 11th, 2015, 07:31 PM
1968 Olds Cutlass S

Perhaps consider getting a dog walker that could come over each day to let the dog out, take it on a walk, let it do its business, and feed it if necessary. Where we live there are numerous people who use dog walkers.
Old February 11th, 2015, 08:18 PM

I have had springier spaniels for at least 40 years and most have been inside outside dogs, they love to hunt and wander. This has been a major problem even though we live in a rural area, then we found this wireless fence which works off a radio signal and shock collar, distance can be lengthen up to 50 yards from the sending unit or shortened to as little as 5 yards. Best device ever invented! Dogs now stay around the house all the time and with a dog door can come inside in bad weather.I'll never be without one, in fact I have two one for my Dads place so when we visit there is no worries with the dogs.... Just my experience...Tedd
Old February 11th, 2015, 09:20 PM

Border Collies are indeed a smart breed, they also need a lot of exercise and running room, I don't know if your 10 hour work days would be good for him, being cooped up for that long of a time.
Old February 11th, 2015, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by mdchanic
the dog's a 20 pound dachshund/chihuahua mix that looks like a tan dachshund with chihuahua feet (long toes) and ears, with a retriever's head screwed on to it, with a bark like a hunting dog.
she's one of the ugliest dogs i've seen, and dumb as a stick, but very affectionate and viciously loyal and protective.
roflmao
Old February 11th, 2015, 09:44 PM
72Cutlass S

We have a female golden retriever that we rescued from an abusive owner (an ex-neighbor). It took her over three years to fully trust us, especially me. I guess she was waiting for me to start abusing her too. Dogs coming from this kind of environment require a lot of patience. They will do things to see how you react. Riley thought that trying to dig up the entire backyard would be a good test for me. Ther are other things she would do but that was the most frustrating (we have a pretty nice back yard). I just kept filling the holes and not reacting until she stopped. She has turned out to be a great family dog but it was a long road to get her there.
Just some food for thought.
Old February 12th, 2015, 04:32 AM

We picked up our mutt Lacey three weeks ago. She's likely a Lab Coonhound mix. She's a little over 20 lbs right now and will probably max out around 40-45 lbs. She's about 20 weeks old now. A young kid had gotten her, wouldn't take care of her properly, so his mother told him he had to get rid of her. We got her at about 16 weeks and she was crate trained and could make it through the night but wasn't housebroken. In two weeks she was housebroken and hasn't had an accident for a week. My two girls love her. It's a little easier for us because my wife doesn't work right now but she's got a bunch of appointments today so I'll go home at lunch and take the dog out. They say a puppy can last about as long as their age in months without going out. It was definitely easier getting her when she was a little older. I'm interested in what others have to say about invisible fences because I have a 2 acre lot but live on a very busy road and the speed limit is 55 mph

Last edited by allyolds68; February 12th, 2015 at 04:36 AM.
Old February 12th, 2015, 04:54 AM
car nut farmer

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Border Collies are indeed a smart breed, they also need a lot of exercise and running room, I don't know if your 10 hour work days would be good for him, being cooped up for that long of a time.
True.

We have an Ausie shepherd (our third) but then again I farm and take her with me. Herding dogs are great but as a general rule do require more time and interaction.
Old February 12th, 2015, 05:53 AM
Administrator

What ever you do, do not teach them to fetch things..., don't ask me how I know.
Old February 12th, 2015, 06:25 AM

We have had a couple of border collies. Great dogs but remember they are a working breed and not a lap dog. They need exercise and a purpose, or they will find one on their own that you probably will not like. Also tend to like people better than other dogs, part of the breeding.
Old February 12th, 2015, 07:41 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

For those interested, this is a Dachshund / Chihuahua (note: not smart enough to remove head from ice cream container):

Completely Mesmerized Watching Fire

Note: Mouth, when open, is about 20% of length of entire body, allowing dog to consume the same amount of food I normally eat for dinner, in approximately 30 seconds, including plate-licking time.

- Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN6671.jpg (59.8 KB, 198 views)
DSCN7880.jpg (57.2 KB, 203 views)
DSCN7889.jpg (29.9 KB, 192 views)
IMG 1249.jpg (62.8 KB, 180 views)
IMG_0960.jpg (23.6 KB, 196 views)
Old February 12th, 2015, 08:04 AM
car nut farmer

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
What ever you do, do not teach them to fetch things..., don't ask me how I know.

"Jenny" thinks it's good exercise for me, I do it every day.
Old February 12th, 2015, 09:21 AM

We moved into a house with a very generous invisible fence area. We are also out of the house 10 hrs/day. To give her some protected outside area, I put up a kennel. This one has painted wire sections that connect with brackets. Sections are 6' tall x 4' wide. One section is on hinges for the door. Make it as large as you like. I put 8"x12" cement pavers down so she cant dig.
I installed this next to the "bilco" metal doors coming up from my basement to the outside.
Cutting a rectangle in the side of the bilco and installing a flap type dog door.
She stays in the basement during the day and can go outside when she likes.
She often sits outside and enjoys the fresh air and sunshine.

George
Old February 12th, 2015, 09:36 AM

Here is a link to manufacture of the wireless system we use....Teddhttp://www.petsafe.net/landing/wirel...FYeBfgodL4wA5Q
Old February 12th, 2015, 04:30 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I have an aussie-border collie mix. He is super smart and super mellow but he does have his energy spurts. Its surprising how mellow he is for his mix. My ex had an aussie lab mix he was every part of both breeds but also very mellow laid back. I dont think i could have a pure bred aussie or border collie but yet again i have read that some are mild mannered and can be laid back. My dog finn can usually handle 12 hrs no problem , he roams the house and does not tear anything up ., although he once ate a steak from the counter lol . He knows when im mad he knows when im not doing good and he will stick to me like glue when im having a rough day .

Old February 12th, 2015, 05:00 PM

Thanks fellas, this is a lot to consider and mull over. This was one of those long days, close to 11 hours but it was nice to come home to all this advice. We're not going to rush this decision which probably means Shep will be gone before we decide. As long as he gets a good home, I'm okay with that.

"...and if you don't train them and keep them busy, they'll train you and keep you busy"

Lol, Eric, you always have the best lines.
Old February 12th, 2015, 05:35 PM

Can't believe I just stumbled on this topic. We just had to put our Golden Retriever, down yesterday because of bone tumor and cancer. Annie was with us for 11 years and did everything with us. Just got a nice note from our Vet with Annies paw print inside, talk about a tear jerker. Any way we are looking to get a rescue dog. They really become part of the family.
Thanks,
Fred
Old February 12th, 2015, 05:37 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Lol, Eric, you always have the best lines.
Thanks, Mac.

I was once trained by a border collie that lived in a book store.
Took all of five minutes. I don't know if that means that he was smart or that I am.

- Eric
Old February 12th, 2015, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Check6
Can't believe I just stumbled on this topic. We just had to put our Golden Retriever, down yesterday because of bone tumor and cancer. Annie was with us for 11 years and did everything with us. Just got a nice note from our Vet with Annies paw print inside, talk about a tear jerker. Any way we are looking to get a rescue dog. They really become part of the family.
Thanks,
Fred
Fred, so sorry for your loss. Golden's are the most wonderful dogs, but unfortunately they are prone to cancer. We have lost 2 of ours to cancer over the years..........
Old February 12th, 2015, 05:53 PM

Thanks Randy, I appreciate it. We had her since she was 9 weeks old. I still think she will be at the door when we come in.Amazing how attached you can get to them.They truly give you unconditional love.
Thanks,
Fred
Old February 12th, 2015, 05:59 PM

We've lost three cats in the last year. Had them for almost 16 years. All from the same litter so they all got old at the same time. The house seems so empty.
Old February 12th, 2015, 06:31 PM

Breaking my heart---My Jack passed on New Years day after 17 years with me every where night and day. Wasn't sick, just had a heart attack and was gone. Just like that.......been pretty rough not having him here.......Neighbor has 9 Great Pyrenees puppies 6weeks old and wants to give me one but they are BIG dogs and after a Jack Russel it just might be a little to much for us. Best friend you will ever have.....Lock your dog and your wife in the car trunk and see which one is glad to see you when you let them out.
Old February 13th, 2015, 06:17 PM

Had to look up the Great Pyrenees. My gawd that's a big dog. Beautiful though. Sorry about Jack
Old February 14th, 2015, 05:50 AM

Thanks
Old February 14th, 2015, 08:47 AM

Rescue Dog

Out of curiosity, what city in central Illinois as I was born in Centralia considered to be Southern Illinois. On shelter pets I would check for Heart worm and Distemper, this is critical. Additionally, I would suggest a feed without corn as this crop is mainly GMO and non digestable. Just things I have learned the hard way.
Old February 14th, 2015, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Majic Jack
Out of curiosity, what city in central Illinois as I was born in Centralia considered to be Southern Illinois. On shelter pets I would check for Heart worm and Distemper, this is critical. Additionally, I would suggest a feed without corn as this crop is mainly GMO and non digestable. Just things I have learned the hard way.
Centrailia is down by St Louis, yes? We're in the Bloomington-Normal area, out in the sticks. I love telling people I'm from "Normal" Illinois. The name has something to do with Illinois State Normal University.

Anyway, yeah, our animal shelter is very careful about any sort of diseases and have a very good reputation of full disclosure. They're even making us agree to keep any kitty we get from them indoors 24/7. I can "agree" to that but the one cat that spends a lot of time outdoors is the only one we have left and he's healthy as a bull. Then again, he also thinks he's a dog. He goes for walks with me, runs with me, and howls instead of meows.
Old February 14th, 2015, 04:29 PM
Hookers under Hood

My wife wanted a dog at one time so I came home from work one day with my tongue hangin' out ya know panting, pants round my feet and said... Hey honey look I brought you home a Weiner dog that needs rescuing. I was hoping she would get attached to it ... I was wrong!!
Oh I'm from Normal Orangeville Ha Ha !

Last edited by 76olds; February 14th, 2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old February 14th, 2015, 04:32 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Lmfao 76olds. I will use that one next time i come home from work on the girlfriend lol
Old February 14th, 2015, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by 76olds
my wife wanted a dog at one time so i came home from work one day with my tongue hangin' out ya know panting, pants round my feet and said... Hey honey look i brought you home a weiner dog that needs rescuing. I was hoping she would get attached to it ... I was wrong!!
Oh i'm from normal orangeville ha ha !
lol!

Quick Reply: Dog owners, I'm looking for advice