The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Disc Brakes on a 57 Chev

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2021, 03:46 PM
Always room for one more

Disc Brakes on a 57 Chev

Hi everyone.

I'm looking for some advice for converting the front brakes on my 57 Chevy to power disc. Is the Chevy any or a lot different than the 88?

What I'm looking for is a kit that has everything. I don't want to mess around getting brackets here, getting rotors there, watch out for these calipers, this is better, try this. That's what I got from the Chevy forum. Also want to know where I can get said kit. And if this all encompassing kit isn't available, where do I find a list of things. This has been done too many times for me to think it's something other than a simple thing. I've never done this before so I don't know where to start.

I can see that the kit for power brakes might be different than the kit for the brake conversion. That's fine. Also, is any of this going to interfere with the factory power steering, ie the pump on the back of the generator.

Thanks everyone.
Old February 23rd, 2021, 04:08 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Mike, putting power brakes on a 57 Chevy is one of the simplest modifications around. There are numerous kits available. Typically most people put a power booster with a dual reservoir master cylinder when they do the conversion. It will require a proportioning valve. The booster and longer master cylinder will likely cause a problem with your factory power steering on the back of the generator. There are number of companies that sell the complete kits and many of them use Chevelle rotors. There could be a problem if you keep the 14" wheels. I would suggest calling H&H Classic Parts in Bentonville, Arkansas. I just looked at their website and they do have a kit for manual brakes however it is out of stock. It also has a video on the conversion. The kit is $572. Here is a link to the site. Disc Brake Conversion Kit with Manual Disc Brakes | 1955 Chevy Fullsize Car | H&H Classic Parts | 2170 There are other vendors like CCP but I would stay away from Ecklers. You might want to go to trifive,com. There is lots of info there. I have the whole kit for my 57 but have not started on it yet. Let me know if I can help.

A little edit here. I just saw your post on trifivechevys. com. Looks like they answered some of the concerns I mentioned above.

Last edited by redoldsman; February 23rd, 2021 at 04:22 PM.
Old February 23rd, 2021, 04:49 PM
Always room for one more

Thanks Glenn. I've looked at a lot of the online catalogs and I must be dense, I couldn't make much out of them. I saw one kit where it said it moved the wheels out 7/8 of an inch. I don't like the sound of that.

Yes I'd like to keep the 14" wheels. Would it be as easy as using A Body wheels for disc brakes? Not sure if the bolt pattern is the same. I've got a rebuilt power steering pump ready to go on. Would it be counter-productive to have manual disc brakes? I didn't think the car was hard to stop with the factory drums, but if I do one thing I might as well do it all.

I'll give H & H a call. That was the main thing I was looking for, a good place to get things from, and call if I ran into trouble.

Old February 23rd, 2021, 05:32 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think most of the disk brakes kits move the wheels out a little. I have a ton of parts in the attic for my 57 I bought from H&H. They have a huge 18 wheeler they take to swap meets across the country. Trey the son is now president but I think his dad is still around. They are really good guys. Good luck on you your swap. Good chatting with you.
Old February 23rd, 2021, 07:16 PM

Keeping the 14 in wheels may be difficult with this conversation. Later 14 in wheels might allow it but not definitive. Most likely need to go larger on wheels.