The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Corona Virus - COVID-19 - By The Numbers

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2020, 08:00 PM
Administrator

At the rate things are going, tomorrow is going to be a wild ride in the financial market. Hang on tight. On a side note, oil is going to drop like a rock.
Old March 8th, 2020, 08:02 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
At the rate things are going, tomorrow is going to be a wild ride in the financial market. Hang on tight. On a side note, oil is going to drop like a rock.
Tomorrow hell's bell's. I've been riding a bronking horse the past two weeks. Not fun.
Old March 8th, 2020, 08:17 PM

https://www.aol.com/article/news/202...cpac/23944388/
Old March 8th, 2020, 08:19 PM
Running On Empty

I'll toss this one out for $HIT$ & GIGGLES since it is in fact, a fact. The science community has always known one of the predominant Ebola virus reservoirs is fruit bats (as are many of the RNA viruses which infect humans). But, when they looked very closely at the tracing of the vectors in which humans were getting the Ebola virus in very select regions what was the underlying and overwhelming source? Fruit bats, yes. But how? Well, they found the primary vector was human's eating the fruit where fruit bats rest in trees. You guessed it - the fruit trees. The fruit bats roost in the trees, their feces droppings and their saliva lands on the fruit below as they are eating and when humans pick the fruit & eat the fruit - you guess it. Neither do you have to eat a fruit bat, nor do you have to slaughter a fruit bat. The primary transmission is from the bat feces and saliva. There is one lesson here though - it's important to wash any fruit we eat - not because we're going to get Ebola, but the number of bacteria and viruses on the outside of fruit is modestly substantial.
Old March 8th, 2020, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I'll toss this one out for $HIT$ & GIGGLES since it is in fact, a fact. The science community has always known one of the predominant Ebola virus reservoirs is fruit bats (as are many of the RNA viruses which infect humans). But, when they looked very closely at the tracing of the vectors in which humans were getting the Ebola virus in very select regions what was the underlying and overwhelming source? Fruit bats, yes. But how? Well, they found the primary vector was human's eating the fruit where fruit bats rest in trees. You guessed it - the fruit trees. The fruit bats roost in the trees, their feces droppings and their saliva lands on the fruit below as they are eating and when humans pick the fruit & eat the fruit - you guess it. Neither do you have to eat a fruit bat, nor do you have to slaughter a fruit bat. The primary transmission is from the bat feces and saliva. There is one lesson here though - it's important to wash any fruit we eat - not because we're going to get Ebola, but the number of bacteria and viruses on the outside of fruit is modestly substantial.
I read they ate the bat in china. China just outlawed eating wild animals

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/a...irus-outbreak/
Old March 8th, 2020, 08:35 PM
Running On Empty

They eat fruit bats in many countries and yes they do eat fruit bats in China, as well as many other countries. The point was you don't have to eat a fruit bat to get a virus.
Old March 8th, 2020, 08:51 PM

So yeah, wash fruit before eating it, and wash your hands before eating or preparing food. Basic hygiene that we should have learned since the Middle Ages.
Old March 8th, 2020, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
So yeah, wash fruit before eating it, and wash your hands before eating or preparing food. Basic hygiene that we should have learned since the Middle Ages.
And cook your bat very well!
Old March 8th, 2020, 09:00 PM
Running On Empty

Everyone is going to have their own opinion regarding SARS-CoV-2 (the name of the virus which causes the disease COVID-19) based upon what they read, what they understand, what they believe and/or what they don't believe. The one true measure of determining how contagious a virus is or will/can become is known as the RO (basic reproduction number or basic reproduction rate). You can examine this graph and gleam whatever merit you care to gleam from it. This is the primary number an epidemiologist and virologist employ to determine the effective parameters of a contagious outbreak. I'll mention (whether you agree w/ the WHO or you don't agree with the WHO [World Health Organization]) the WHO has not, as yet, classified the SARS-CoV-2 a global pandemic.

The point about my bat scenario (above post). You don't need to eat an infected animal or slaughter an infected animal to get a virus (hell, the frick'n common cold is made up of a slew of Rhinoviruses), but examine the case of Rabies - if you are not treated for rabies,you're going to die - that is a 100% known fact. And, you don't have to eat any animal which has rabies to get rabies. Yet, as I indicated (in several posts above) SARS-CoV-2 is a positive sense RNA virus (it spreads remarkably fast - but that says nothing w/ regards to mortality rate, recovery rate, etc. only the ability to transmit). Note Rabies is a negative sense RNA virus - it is very hard to get rabies, but it is a very clever zoonotic (from animals>humans) virus. Many different animals can be infected with Rabies, and humans can catch rabies from any number of animals which harvest rabies.

NOTE: Examine where SARS is located on the below R0 scale relative to Rabies.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/news/dat...tious-diseases

Last edited by Vintage Chief; March 14th, 2020 at 05:43 PM.
Old March 8th, 2020, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Daiv8or
What would the minority "smart" AF people do?
Enact nationalism and hold the populace to a higher standard. Sort of like how the country was founded, the USA worked, and was better after the Revolution because of the Great Awakening that had occurred just prior. You got some guy being worthless, he gets a visit from the town elders who tell him to improve, or leave town. Run out of town on a rail, tar and feathering, stuff like that.
Old March 12th, 2020, 07:52 PM

South Park - season 7 episode 7 “Red Man’s Greed”

Pokes fun at a number of things but SARS is the plot point relevant to these health scares.
Old March 13th, 2020, 02:59 AM

I was looking at some numbers last night and this is totally blown out of proportion... 22 million Americans were infected with H1N1 with a 327 million population in 2009. China has the largest coronavirus cases at 81,000 out of over 1.3 billion people. If coronavirus is that contagious then why out of 1.3 billion people in China is there only 81,000 cases. No, I don't want it but looks like H1N1 was far worse with a really large death rate.
Old March 13th, 2020, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
I was looking at some numbers last night and this is totally blown out of proportion... 22 million Americans were infected with H1N1 with a 327 million population in 2009. China has the largest coronavirus cases at 81,000 out of over 1.3 billion people. If coronavirus is that contagious then why out of 1.3 billion people in China is there only 81,000 cases. No, I don't want it but looks like H1N1 was far worse with a really large death rate.
It just depends on whether China is accurately reporting. There are some that poo poo the number of "official" cases in America saying they're hiding numbers. But somehow never question any other official numbers.

I take China's reports as hedgy at best. I hope the reporting is correct that the pandemic is slowing in China. Hopefully this thing will peak within a month or so. I also think when we reach "peak anxiety" the stupidity may come under control and the hoarding of supplies will slow down significantly. Keep in mind, at this point, there's no supply shortage. Shelves are bare because of the demand uppage. Eventually some supplies may be adversely affected, but right now, demand is outstripping supply for things like Clorox wipes and beans. Plus, of all things, toilet paper.

You can only do so much, and you can only count on the government entities so much. It's you on the front lines of this war. You can't rely on the CDC or other alphabet organizations to save you. Those that do, are simply sheeple. Rely on yourself as much as you can and you'll do just fine. Maybe natural thinning of the herds could be a good thing?

Wash your hands often. Don't touch your face. Maximize distance between people if you can. Good luck out there.
Old March 13th, 2020, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by 69HO43
It just depends on whether China is accurately reporting. There are some that poo poo the number of "official" cases in America saying they're hiding numbers. But somehow never question any other official numbers.

Even if they are manipulating the numbers by 1000% you only come up with 81 million out of 1.3 billion. Still not buying that this is a big problem other than what has been fabricated by the media.
Old March 13th, 2020, 08:56 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Italy has over 1000 deaths in a very short period of time. I think that should be taken seriously.
China's numbers are manipulated and they have the same problem we have, not prepared and no test kits, that's why the numbers look so low.

Forget toilet paper, we stocked up on food enough for at least 2 weeks. Not cause we are scared of getting sick, but cause everything may shut down and won't be able to buy groceries.

Stocked up on bullets too, just in case.
Old March 13th, 2020, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by 70cutty
Italy has over 1000 deaths in a very short period of time. I think that should be taken seriously.
China's numbers are manipulated and they have the same problem we have, not prepared and no test kits, that's why the numbers look so low.

Forget toilet paper, we stocked up on food enough for at least 2 weeks. Not cause we are scared of getting sick, but cause everything may shut down and won't be able to buy groceries.

Stocked up on bullets too, just in case.
Think about the reason Italy has over 1000 deaths. Don't even try to minimize the spread for the longest time, then put everyone in a box, don't let them out, then discard the elderly and let them die because their wonderful healthcare setup can't supply everyone. In which the elderly with underlying conditions are the ones they should be treating first, IMO. BASS ACKWARDS type of urgent care, IMO.

I think over the next few weeks there will be a better handle on numbers and if they're still going up, the idiots will continue to freak. China will continue to throw out false numbers most likely, but I'm not worried about it too much. Concerned? Yes, but not overly so. We're taking the recommended precautions. We'll see if that's enough.

Nice thing is the restaurants are easier to get in and out. Went to a local restaurant yesterday that's usually packed and waiting forever to get a seat. Walked right in and got served right away. Social spacing is working out just fine so far.
Old March 13th, 2020, 12:11 PM

Even if they are manipulating the numbers by 1000% you only come up with 81 million out of 1.3 billion. Still not buying that this is a big problem other than what has been fabricated by the media.
YES SIR x2. I have my chin strap on. When this over soon, trust me there will be more to rock your world because you have to realize ( and if you don't pick up a bible! ) we all have been born into a very fallen world whatever it may be- diseases, war , famine, earthquakes, economic disasters, hurricanes, tornadoes, tsunamis, droughts you name it I could go on...
Old March 13th, 2020, 12:17 PM

Doesn't matter if anyone believes the urgency of the virus, or not. We are past that point. If something doesn't change soon the economy will be crushed. Any if you were concerned about the national debt before now? You ain't seen nothin' yet.
Old March 13th, 2020, 12:29 PM

Think about the reason Italy has over 1000 deaths. Don't even try to minimize the spread for the longest time, then put everyone in a box, don't let them out, then discard the elderly and let them die because their wonderful healthcare setup can't supply everyone. In which the elderly with underlying conditions are the ones they should be treating first, IMO. BASS ACKWARDS type of urgent care, IMO.

I think over the next few weeks there will be a better handle on numbers and if they're still going up, the idiots will continue to freak. China will continue to throw out false numbers most likely, but I'm not worried about it too much. Concerned? Yes, but not overly so. We're taking the recommended precautions. We'll see if that's enough.

Nice thing is the restaurants are easier to get in and out. Went to a local restaurant yesterday that's usually packed and waiting forever to get a seat. Walked right in and got served right away. Social spacing is working out just fine so far.
Italy has a much older and more elderly population. This Virus kills mostly elderly, so the high death rate. Italy has a better health care system them us. A Italian Chinese man who was in china. Returned home sick, but they miss it at the hospital. And let him go. With little testing here, we just do not know. How many have it. Lets see what happens in a few weeks. We can and are self quarantine ourselves. Better safe then sorry. Heated pool in the backyard help kill the extra time

Old March 13th, 2020, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by HighwayStar 442
Italy has a better health care system them us.
Yeah, that's why they're doing so well at the moment and triage comes into play to tell some just to go on home and hope you don't die. It doesn't matter how great your health care system is, it isn't worth a crap if you're overloading it. Which is exactly what Italy's policies concerning trying to get ahead of the infection rate did. Not such a great job there. The foundation under their fantastic health care system is supporting 3 times (maybe more) the weight it should. If there's not enough medical staff to treat everyone, thus, some people will die. You have to blame this on the decision makers, however, not on the medical staffs.

Same here. That's why it's extremely important people do what they can to slow down the infection rate as best as possible. It's not going to stop, but you can keep the rate from skyrocketing. Trickling in patients on treating the infected is a whole lot better than a mad dash overrun on the medical facilities.

It's going to get worse. And then it will get better. Hopefully there will be some learnings from this when it's all over.

Old March 13th, 2020, 04:30 PM

Just to funny, sorry I just could not help myself!

Old March 13th, 2020, 04:42 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Italy does have a better healthcare than us. Our healthcare is comparable more to the 3rd world country. If you don’t believe it, google it.
there are 44 million people without any coverage.

there are only 100k medical ventilators in the whole USA, at least 25k are already in use.
If this thing hits us hard, a lot of people will die. I pray it doesn’t.
Old March 13th, 2020, 05:04 PM

Same here. That's why it's extremely important people do what they can to slow down the infection rate as best as possible. It's not going to stop, but you can keep the rate from skyrocketing. Trickling in patients on treating the infected is a whole lot better than a mad dash overrun on the medical facilities.

It's going to get worse. And then it will get better. Hopefully there will be some learnings from this when it's all over.
Adding to this, within the last couple of days in Canada, many measures are being taken to "Flatten the curve" as is often said. It is going to get worse then better indeed, the idea here is encouraging folks to self isolate and avoid crowds as much as possible. In Ontario province at least, the school board I work for as well as all other government funded public boards are closing as of today until the 6th of April, 3 weeks. This includes the 1-week Spring Break. We will be scrubbing the schools thoroughly early next week and locking them up until the all clear is given. The government on the Federal level has stepped in and will allow anyone who is out of work due to the virus, and don't have a company health and illness plan to collect employment insurance with zero waiting period. Many social events have been cancelled and rescheduled, both local and province(s) wide. The aim is to really slow down the spread of the virus. The virus needs 'you' to spread, without 'you' it can't go anywhere in theory. Hopefully with these measures, the less folks out and about, it will mean a lot less folks in hospital etc. Hopefully this will minimise any overload in the medical system. Will a lot of people face inconvenience with these measures of services and schools being cancelled for now? Yes, for sure. If it helps the medical system from being overburdened, it will be worth it. Canada's population is a drop in the bucket in comparison to our friend's in the States, it will be a programm of trial and error to see if the same actions would work for you folks in the US. Nobody anywhere has faced this sort of thing before. Be it alleged media hype (we went through SARS, H1N1, Bird, all sorts of viruses) or very true about the degree of the virus, a snowball is now rolling down a hill. We can do our best to dodge it. may all be healthy and well, and not be affected by this virus.
Old March 13th, 2020, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Vistabrat72
Adding to this, within the last couple of days in Canada, many measures are being taken to "Flatten the curve" as is often said. It is going to get worse then better indeed, the idea here is encouraging folks to self isolate and avoid crowds as much as possible. In Ontario province at least, the school board I work for as well as all other government funded public boards are closing as of today until the 6th of April, 3 weeks. This includes the 1-week Spring Break. We will be scrubbing the schools thoroughly early next week and locking them up until the all clear is given. The government on the Federal level has stepped in and will allow anyone who is out of work due to the virus, and don't have a company health and illness plan to collect employment insurance with zero waiting period. Many social events have been cancelled and rescheduled, both local and province(s) wide. The aim is to really slow down the spread of the virus. The virus needs 'you' to spread, without 'you' it can't go anywhere in theory. Hopefully with these measures, the less folks out and about, it will mean a lot less folks in hospital etc. Hopefully this will minimise any overload in the medical system. Will a lot of people face inconvenience with these measures of services and schools being cancelled for now? Yes, for sure. If it helps the medical system from being overburdened, it will be worth it. Canada's population is a drop in the bucket in comparison to our friend's in the States, it will be a programm of trial and error to see if the same actions would work for you folks in the US. Nobody anywhere has faced this sort of thing before. Be it alleged media hype (we went through SARS, H1N1, Bird, all sorts of viruses) or very true about the degree of the virus, a snowball is now rolling down a hill. We can do our best to dodge it. may all be healthy and well, and not be affected by this virus.
It's good to hear Canada is taking it seriously and doing what they can to aid their people. The US is still at least 50% in denial. You know, fake news, hoax, made up. Some still believe that America has the best healthcare and we're more than adequately prepared, but every actual scientist or persons in the healthcare industry are saying we are terribly unprepared for this. We still have people talking about the flu and blah, blah, blah many people die a year from blah, blah, blah. And it's no worse than yada, yada, yada...

They just don't get it, but sadly they will eventually. We should be bracing for impact and manning battle stations, but we have lots of people saying- this torpedo is going to miss just like the other duds, even though the radar guy is saying it looks like it's going to be a direct hit.
Old March 13th, 2020, 08:02 PM

The experts say 86% of those infected will be asymptomatic or have flu like symptoms that can be self treated at home. The population of the 14% who are more susceptible include the elderly and those with existing health conditions. The death rate was so high in Wuhan due to the high rate of cigarette smokers and them living in one of the areas with the worst air pollution in China, hence underlying health conditions. Yes, there should be concern over this, but not the stupid panic we are experiencing.
Old March 14th, 2020, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Hindsight is always 20/20, time will tell whether the decisions made during this time were good or not.
Old March 14th, 2020, 08:41 AM

EVERY expert has said that the government was WAY TOO SLOW to take this seriously. There should be millions of test kits available, instead of thousands.... they totaly blew it. This administration cut funding for the CDC, and the new budget proposal cuts it even furhter. Unfathomable.....
Old March 14th, 2020, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by randys
every expert has said that the government was way too slow to take this seriously. There should be millions of test kits available, instead of thousands.... They totaly blew it. This administration cut funding for the cdc, and the new budget proposal cuts it even furhter. Unfathomable.....
x2
Old March 14th, 2020, 09:25 AM

Good grief! Lets turn this political with information that simply is NOT true. The CDC has NOT had funding cuts and is funded higher now that it was under Obama! TDS is as out of hand as the media is with this virus. Might as well start a new thread because this will be shut down now.
Old March 14th, 2020, 09:33 AM

I am in no way trying to turn this political, just something to think about. The CDC official spreading panic about the CO-19 virus is Rod Rosenstein's Sister. In the political division we are in I would not trust much of anything reported about this virus either way. My personal opinion was stated above. I feel this is just the next mad cow, H1N1, bird flu, west nile.... But I am no doctor, just a car builder. I guess time will tell
To late,CDC official spreading panic about the CO-19 virus is Rod Rosenstein's Sister?????
Old March 14th, 2020, 09:40 AM

To late,CDC official spreading panic about the CO-19 virus is Rod Rosenstein's Sister?????
I made a factual statement and is true and researched. I did NOT make a false statement strictly for political reasons. Not to mention that Rosenstein has reason to not be really liked from both sided equally. My point was to help people to not panic over all this.

Last edited by jensenracing77; March 14th, 2020 at 09:44 AM.
Old March 14th, 2020, 09:55 AM

I made a factual statement and is true and researched. I did NOT make a false statement strictly for political reasons. Not to mention that Rosenstein has reason to not be really liked from both sided equally. My point was to help people to not panic over all this.
Truman the buck stops here!!! Not everybody else but me!
Everyone I know likes Rod Rosenstein. A honest American. Not the father of 10,000+ lies
Fact in the statement
https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/31...JjWqiAuwwMtUO0
Old March 14th, 2020, 10:10 AM
Running On Empty

If we could stick w/ the rules of the forum - that would be great.

The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related.

NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.
Old March 14th, 2020, 10:43 AM

Adults in the room. Thank God! Treasury secretary, Steve Mnuchin, who is leading negotiations with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on an economic package to address the crisis. Hope they do not forget the working man. This crisis will only last as long as the virus. I will be going all in on the stock market this time around. Did not get back in after the 2008 downturn. I think you would not want to miss this next upturn.
Old March 14th, 2020, 10:56 AM

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...432FFA01D65BCD

Real great info, These underlying conditions make coronavirus more severe, and they're surprisingly common
Old March 14th, 2020, 11:53 AM

I will be going all in on the stock market this time around. Did not get back in after the 2008 downturn. I think you would not want to miss this next upturn.
I agree with that! I will be buying for sure
Old March 14th, 2020, 12:56 PM

Old March 14th, 2020, 01:48 PM

I have to say that I am quite pleased and a bit surprised to see the Mecum auction in Glendale, Arizona going on as scheduled. It's on TV right now. There's a lot of people there, and they're all in a big auditorium. It's about the only thing on TV right now that's not a rerun, and it's a bit of normalcy in a world that is anything but at the moment.

What surprises me most is all the people in attendance. You would think that some would be afraid to travel or afraid to be in a crowd. But apparently not. It's good to see some people acting normally and not standing in line to buy toilet paper.
Old March 14th, 2020, 02:04 PM

I agree with that! I will be buying for sure
X3 I'm in touch with my stock market guru as myself online taking notes. There will many other opportunities during this downturn. Property maybe anther one with interest rates down in the cellar. I look at my life as "the glass is only half empty". Im keeping an eye on KMI. I own a some of that and when the time comes I may dive in for some more. They own 85,000 miles of the natural gas and oil pipe lines in North America and the stock tanked because of this "gas war and that's really between Russia and the Saudi's" and Coronavid-19. Pays a sweet 5% dividend to boot. Natural gas is the energy source of our future-Look up and read what Exxon has to say...
Old March 14th, 2020, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by therobski
X3 I'm in touch with my stock market guru as myself online taking notes. There will many other opportunities during this downturn. Property maybe anther one with interest rates down in the cellar. I look at my life as "the glass is only half empty". Im keeping an eye on KMI. I own a some of that and when the time comes I may dive in for some more. They own 85,000 miles of the natural gas and oil pipe lines in North America and the stock tanked because of this "gas war and that's really between Russia and the Saudi's" and Coronavid-19. Pays a sweet 5% dividend to boot. Natural gas is the energy source of our future-Look up and read what Exxon has to say...
PRU somewhat has my attention.

Quick Reply: Corona Virus - COVID-19 - By The Numbers