The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Commitment to purchase

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2021, 06:29 AM

Commitment to purchase

This a gripe at all of you buyers who agree to a purchase a part.
A couple of buyers lately have agreed ("ok, I'll take it") to buy stuff from me. Ok. So I box up the part, get the address from the buyer, go to the shipping facility to get a price, come back home, notify the buyer of the total cost & that's the last I hear from them.
So... if you're buying the part, BUY THE PART & don't back out because of the shipping cost. You have to realize nothing is cheap anymore. It's irritating to me & I'm sure others on here who have gone through the same trouble as this only to put the part back in storage.
Again, BUY THE PART!.
Thank you.
Old December 4th, 2021, 06:59 AM

I have been selling some old parts I've had sitting for 25 years for Triumphs on Ebay. I weigh them, estimate a box size and use their program for cost, which offers a 30% discount. That was where I discovered there are other websites that do the same. You can save that much by printing your own label. But I agree if you say your going to but it, Buy It!

Steve
Old December 4th, 2021, 07:19 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I haven't gone that far but I have had numerous cases where somebody expresses interest and I go drag the parts out and take pictures. Then nothing. It is aggravating.
Old December 4th, 2021, 08:23 AM

Yes, I think it happens to all of us. I do similar to what Phoenix8990 does. I'll find a box, get size/weight without packaging it up. Go online to one or more USPS, FedEx, USPS, UPS and Greyhounds for shipping costs. For trucking companies I'll try U-ship. Fastenal requires a couple/few days to get a reply with shipping quote. Then contact the potential buyer with a number. If they follow through with payment then I'll package it up and ship. I consider it part of the hobby. Ebay does have a shipping discount but they also charge fees to the seller, so I'd be adding the fees to my selling price when I go through them.
Old December 4th, 2021, 08:34 AM
Old School Olds

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I haven't gone that far but I have had numerous cases where somebody expresses interest and I go drag the parts out and take pictures. Then nothing. It is aggravating.
This. Very aggravating to say the least.
Old December 4th, 2021, 08:35 AM

I just turned down a record player from a warehouse. The guy is overcharging 100% (he wants 600 for a 300 player). I asked for pictures, he got them, I turned it down, but I apologized for making him do a goose chase. He said it was ok, since he had to get them out anyway to sell, but I still felt a little bad.

I need to start selling some stuff.
Old December 7th, 2021, 04:43 PM
Banned

Amen to this thread. I sell many things on the side. Nothing worse than running the hurdles for people then nothing... Good point to bring up. 👍
Old December 8th, 2021, 06:55 AM
Olds Fever

For the most,to avoid some issues I don't offer/list items for sale unless I already have the item readily available for photos and shipping (inclusive of calculated weight)... I will usually include shipping costs if flat rate can be used or use the buyer's zip code based on the previously calculated weight...
Old December 8th, 2021, 12:03 PM

This is why I very rarely sell anything on forum sites, Facebook marketplace, etc. I only sell on Ebay, do the work in advance and list a firm shipping cost so the buyer knows the whole story up front
Old December 8th, 2021, 03:28 PM

Yes, that happens frequently. I've had a couple that stand out. Someone was looking for a 1970 Delta passenger side taillight lens. I was the only one who had one. The "person" questioned me. Is it clear, any spiderwebs yada yada. I tell him, it looks good to me. He says, how much, I don't want to pay to much." I said, "I'll send it to you, just reimburse me for the shipping. Being Mr Nice Guy, I remove the whole taillight extension complete, still has the working bulb gasket, screws with the wire cut long. Everything looks great. I send it, I remember the shipping ended in $.38. He sent me a M.O. for the exact amount ending in 38 cents. 😊. Next one, not to long ago. Car enthusiast, was looking for a information about a certain part that he'd been looking for a couple of years. I had a couple of the parts. I gave him lots of information. Finally I told him I'll send you one. The actual shipping cost was right at $20. I gave him tracking numbers. When he got the part, he texted me. "Just what I needed." No "thank you" no offer to pay actual shipping. You know what they say, Nice Guys finish last. This thread gave me an opportunity to "mention" it. 😆
Old December 9th, 2021, 01:27 AM
H/o

Not many standup people in the world anymore. I remember the days when your word was your bond and sadly as you just posted it's clearly not the case anymore.
Old December 9th, 2021, 06:12 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I would disagree about the standup people since I think there are still lots of them. It is just the rotten apple spoiling the whole barrel. When I have sold stuff I ask the buyer to pay for the item via paypal before I ship it. Then I invoice them after it has shipped. I have never had anybody stiff me on the shipping.
Old December 9th, 2021, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by H/o
Not many standup people in the world anymore. I remember the days when your word was your bond and sadly as you just posted it's clearly not the case anymore.
I think there are more unscrupulous sellers than buyers. I don't think the op's issue is that widespread and that most buyers have good intentions. There are many reasons why buyers will back away from a sale, but just won't tell you.
Old December 9th, 2021, 10:39 AM
Jeff

Psychologically, there are a LOT of studies out there that indicate you are more likely to remember a bad experience, and in greater detail, than a good experience.

"IN MY DAY...."

Old December 9th, 2021, 11:03 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

There are many reasons why buyers will back away from a sale, but just won't tell you.

Just the common courtesy of a simple emails saying I am no longer interested. Explanation not necessary. I know it is common nature to not tell and I don't know why that is.
Old December 9th, 2021, 06:49 PM
Banned

Cut thru the comments etc. It is disrespectful to screw with someone. Let Alone someone that cares.
Old December 10th, 2021, 02:00 PM
H/o

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I think there are more unscrupulous sellers than buyers.
I've had bad experiences on both side of the coin as I'm sure most of us have had but, when people misrepresent their merchandise and or even back out of a deal already made is just not the right way to do business.
Old December 13th, 2021, 02:59 PM

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you who responded to my original post.
Merry Christmas!
Jon