The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Column mounted wipers

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2022, 07:43 AM
Always room for one more

Column mounted wipers

Hi everyone.

This is actually about my '90 GMC Suburban but the equipment is most likely the same in a lot of other cars. The wipers are on the turn signal stalk and twist to actuate. On my Suburban, the intermittent part doesn't work, but the low/high works. When put back to off, they won't shut off, but if I go to pulse they will stop wherever they are. I got good at hitting pulse right when the wipers are at the park position.

So question. Where do I look to fix this? Is the problem in the stalk, or in the motor? I'm assuming the harness is okay or it wouldn't work at all. By the way, the cruise is on the same stalk and it doesn't work, either. But cruise not working on a 32 year old car is not a stretch.

Thanks everyone.

Old February 21st, 2022, 08:25 AM

It's in the stalk. I could replace the one in my old Explorer in about ten min with a junker.
Old February 21st, 2022, 08:58 PM
GCH

Had an issue with the wipers in my -92 Cheyenne and it was the wiper motor module in the wipermotor

Old February 21st, 2022, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by GCH
Had an issue with the wipers in my -92 Cheyenne and it was the wiper motor module in the wipermotor

those cover boards are known for bad solder joints. Before spending any money, pull the cover board off and give it a close inspection. Most likely you can fix it by reflowing the solder at the bad connection.
Old February 22nd, 2022, 07:03 AM
Always room for one more

Thanks guys. You know what, I had a 92 Silverado years ago that had this same problem. I got a notice in the mail from General Motors saying 92 Silverado's were being recalled due to faulty wipers. I called the number and they said my truck's VIN number fell outside of the affected group. I said, but my truck is doing the exact thing that the recall is for. Sorry, can't help you. Heck I forgot all about that.

Old February 22nd, 2022, 09:50 PM

I really wish I could figure out why copy and paste won’t work for me. It works just fine on any other forum I frequent, why not here???

There is a service manual procedure to test the column mounted switch. You don’t need to disassemble the column to test.

The switch is supplied power anytime the ignition is on buy the white wire from a 25 amp fuse. The rheostat in the switch changes resistance based on the amount of delay requested. I think the resistance is around 12k (minimum delay, up to 1.2 mega ohms at maximum delay. The other wires supply power based on low,high, and washer switch position.

Pretty sure all wipers on GM cars of that vintage worked the same way. If you can find a test procedure, and the wire colors match, that should be what you need.
Old February 23rd, 2022, 12:34 AM
GCH

Originally Posted by matt69olds
I really wish I could figure out why copy and paste won’t work for me. It works just fine on any other forum I frequent, why not here???
Hi sometimes i use right mouse buttom to copy and to paste : hold down Ctrl key and press v key , you can also copy by using Ctrl and c key.
Old February 23rd, 2022, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by GCH
Hi sometimes i use right mouse buttom to copy and to paste : hold down Ctrl key and press v key , you can also copy by using Ctrl and c key.

i use my phone
Old February 23rd, 2022, 02:53 AM
GCH

Originally Posted by matt69olds
i use my phone
Ok i prefer using one of the computers
Old February 23rd, 2022, 09:25 PM

Either way, I use to be able to copy and paste articles with my phone, it’s been several months since I could do that.