The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Close Call

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2010, 06:07 PM

Close Call

I had a tow truck pull up next to my car late one night last week. I got out there before they could hook up. It was the one time I left her in the lot all night and didnt put her in the garage I rent. She looked like a shiney new lure in the water that day having just come from the body shop w/ fresh paint and all cleaned up.
Old January 27th, 2010, 06:25 PM

Always have your Lawyers ready personally we use the Smith & Wesson Firm
Old January 27th, 2010, 06:37 PM

I hear you Friend. Unfortunatly I live in one of them commie States. However I try & keep a good 'law firm' on retainer.

Last edited by thislilpiggy; January 27th, 2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old January 27th, 2010, 08:27 PM

Way too close for comfort - glad you were out there. Yes, I like the S&W firm myself.
I hope you will put her to bed in the garage from now on - nice old cars are too hard to replace.
Old January 27th, 2010, 08:27 PM
GM Enthusiast

Wow it's great that you happened to be there to stop them. What did they say to you when you confronted them? Or did they pull away when they saw you?
Old January 27th, 2010, 08:57 PM

That is way too close a call. If you've got a garage, use it.
I'm pretty sure I was almost car jacked, ran the red light before I could find out though...
Thankfully, I've never had that close an experience. I protect my car as well as I can, but a tow truck is the only thing I can't stop unless I'm there... Scary thought that a neighbor's car was broken into right infront of my house a few months ago
I did have some idiot kids who live in the condoms across the street call me with a "ransom" for my car one day. Telling me they hotwired it, while the battery was in the house charging!
Old January 28th, 2010, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by marcar1993
I did have some idiot kids who live in the condoms
Hate to live there!

Originally Posted by marcar1993
...across the street call me with a "ransom" for my car one day. Telling me they hotwired it, while the battery was in the house charging!
That was funny... I take it you know the kids?? How strange.
Old January 28th, 2010, 05:38 AM

^Yeah I do, bunch of pain's in the ****. Always starting something...
Old January 28th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Get a nice shotgun, and a Lo-jack. I used to have the same problems when mine was nice. Especially on the outskirts of the city.

Had BOTH a 1988, and a 1990 Caprice stolen in Lansing, IL, One at the Fairfield Hotel parking lot, and the other was taken right off of my grandfather's driveway on Burnam, Ave.

Had an 84 Olds 98 that had the alternator and battery stolen near McCormik place, and had a repo truck size me up at my uncle's CHURCH in South Holland.

Mike's88 on here had his stolen last year right off of his driveway in Brookfield, IL

An honorable mention to the Hurst hotel fiasco in IN, this year.

It's really bad out here with 80's car theft. If you see an 80's car on the road, there's an 80% chance it will be being driven by a total sh1thead.

You do still see an occasional blue hair going to get groceries, or a dumb 16 year old kid who put flowmasters on his 307 to make it fast...... but usually it's a big wheel havin' bass bumpin' guy, smoking joints with his homies.

I used to get hassled by the police all the time because of these stereotypes, but at least I'm aware they exist for a reason.

Now that every panel on my car is smashed and/or rusted.....people have finally let me be.

Owning/operating an old GM is most peaceful when you drive a well tuned beater.
Old January 28th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Oh and by the way, they found one of the Caprices in Gary, IN
and the other in Englewood, IL

Stripped of course.

As I said.....
Stereotypes exist for a reason.

That's yet another reason why I like keeping old car parts prices low.
Old January 29th, 2010, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Wow it's great that you happened to be there to stop them. What did they say to you when you confronted them? Or did they pull away when they saw you?
I did'nt have a chance to confront em, I got out there quick and they pulled off. Did get their plates though but could'nt see any name on the truck. I did'nt put it tgthr till after but earlier that afternoon some strange dude was walkin around pretending to look at addresses. I had a strong feeling he was scoping out the car and felt like telling him 'you aint gonna get it Mf%##^&'. I believe he followed me.
Anyway, damn shame but it'll keep me on my toes.

Red Tow Truck
Illinois plates 111 646

**Note to the guy in Brookfield, it hapd right down the street @ 31st & La Grange Road.
Old January 29th, 2010, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
Get a nice shotgun, and a Lo-jack. I used to have the same problems when mine was nice. Especially on the outskirts of the city.

Had BOTH a 1988, and a 1990 Caprice stolen in Lansing, IL, One at the Fairfield Hotel parking lot, and the other was taken right off of my grandfather's driveway on Burnam, Ave.

Had an 84 Olds 98 that had the alternator and battery stolen near McCormik place, and had a repo truck size me up at my uncle's CHURCH in South Holland.

Mike's88 on here had his stolen last year right off of his driveway in Brookfield, IL

An honorable mention to the Hurst hotel fiasco in IN, this year.

It's really bad out here with 80's car theft. If you see an 80's car on the road, there's an 80% chance it will be being driven by a total sh1thead.

You do still see an occasional blue hair going to get groceries, or a dumb 16 year old kid who put flowmasters on his 307 to make it fast...... but usually it's a big wheel havin' bass bumpin' guy, smoking joints with his homies.

I used to get hassled by the police all the time because of these stereotypes, but at least I'm aware they exist for a reason.

Now that every panel on my car is smashed and/or rusted.....people have finally let me be.

Owning/operating an old GM is most peaceful when you drive a well tuned beater.
Dang J, I hate to say it but WTHeck!?
Old January 30th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I know, I know......It's ridiculous.
Live with the poor folks in the city, everyone steals your ****.

Moved out to the snooty suburbs, and all they do is b1tch about my cars.

Can't go live in the middle of nowhere because the cars get 12 miles per gallon.
Just can't win.
There should be a blue collar/good morals section of the city.......but WAIT... that would be "discrimination" against all the immoral sh1theads.
Old January 30th, 2010, 12:42 PM

Im tellin ya, thats the one thing I have NO tolerance for, somebody that steals anothers hard earned possessions. Far as Im concerned they should put a bullet in the back of their head and send the family the bill for said bullet. Ok, maybe cut their hand or nose off for the 1st offense but then again think about it, you never get caught the 1st time you do anything. Hell w/ it, just call counselor S&W, Mossberg & Mossberg or whoever you may have on retainer at the time.
Old January 30th, 2010, 01:24 PM

Wow! Love this thread. When I was younger my best friend had 79' T/A Disco Machine. It was a very nice car, with a 403 Olds. Anyway we went to a movie one night, he dropped me off and went home, parked the car in the drive way. He went inside, and was going up the stairs when he saw his car bouncing across the front lawn! He yelled to his Mom to call 911, and ran outside. As he is standing in the driveway watching his car leave the kid across the street came home in his Mustang LX built 5.0. They hopped in the car and took off. They caught up the T/A on the highway, the kid was going 55 mph. The pulled up along side, and the kid took off. Long story short they chased this kid into the bowels of Detroit (pretty big area, since most of Detroit is a ghetto.) They flagged down a cop car and gave them the plate number and description of the car. The cop told them they should get back to the burbs' Detroit aint no place for a white boy...Anyway the found the car shortly after, and it was not too banged up. The kid was 14. There was a ring of thieves and they would cruise the suburbs looking for nice cars to steal, they would follow them home, and not the type of car and address and come back later. Yep put a bullett in the head!
Old January 30th, 2010, 05:58 PM

Exclamation

I hate hearing stories like this!
These bad news adventures are not limited to the big cities.
In rual areas, it is not uncomman to hear of 4x4s, ATVs, sleds (snowobiles) being ripped off. Like my Dad say - its the high use of drugs (one of the major reasons).
In Jan or Feb of 2008, three punk teenagers,two males, one female, stole a late model GMC dual with trailer,(with a 37 Packard inside)in Naples ,Maine (not far from me). The owner was in FL at the time (he was really flipped out).
Ahyo the dirtbags only travled to a motel 25-30 miles away, and tried to sell the Parkard (at the place they were staying ) for $30,000-$35,000 , the car is worth $120,000.
The Packard owner told me , Southwestern Maine (and other small towns), is a hot bed for drugs.

The lowlifes were arrested and the motel employee got a $10,000 reward!
Well, not long after one of the male dirtbags, go tout of jail, robbed a bank two weeks later. Some people will never learn.

Last edited by toro68; January 31st, 2010 at 06:48 AM.
Old January 30th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Save the rainforest!!! All of those trees could be useful to mankind.

Photo credit: Nightmare101@deviantart.net
Witty snide remark credit: Me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Hangman's noose.jpg (41.8 KB, 63 views)
Old January 31st, 2010, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by thislilpiggy
I did'nt have a chance to confront em, I got out there quick and they pulled off. Did get their plates though but could'nt see any name on the truck. I did'nt put it tgthr till after but earlier that afternoon some strange dude was walkin around pretending to look at addresses. I had a strong feeling he was scoping out the car and felt like telling him 'you aint gonna get it Mf%##^&'. I believe he followed me.
Anyway, damn shame but it'll keep me on my toes.

Red Tow Truck
Illinois plates 111 646

**Note to the guy in Brookfield, it hapd right down the street @ 31st & La Grange Road.
Thanks for the lead. I still have a pic of the truck that jacked my delta, it was black and white. The pic is distorted, so I couldn't make out any markings on it though.
Old January 31st, 2010, 11:28 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by thislilpiggy
I had a tow truck pull up next to my car late one night last week. I got out there before they could hook up. It was the one time I left her in the lot all night and didnt put her in the garage I rent. She looked like a shiney new lure in the water that day having just come from the body shop w/ fresh paint and all cleaned up.
What????!!!! A new paint job and no pics to show us how gorgeous she looks?

Something that nice looking is bound to draw attention. Your quick action earns you the STAR award. (Saw Trouble And Responded)

C'mon, post some pics of the new paint ok??
Old February 1st, 2010, 09:01 PM

Ha! Thanks for The Star Award! First sunny decent day here & I'll take Her out & get some pics up. Thanks for all the positive feedback guys.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 04:26 AM
Captain of my ship

There is not much around these parts as far as car theft goes but there is a lot of 4X4's snowmobiles , tools and even ride on mowers. Drugs are a problem with youth everywhere and most are unemployed but need to fund their habits. This is something that has been with us for a while now and being hard on drug crime has done little to slow down the amount of drugs coming into the U.S. and canada. Plus the amount being manufactured here.
In Saudi Arabia they have effective deterants to such crimes. Of course laws like that would never pass here.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:23 AM

I started putting a Club on my Olds. I guess it helps...
Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:49 AM

A fuel cut off solenoid is a good thing to install with a hidden switch. Hard to go very far without gas. Hard to guard against the tow truck, thats a tough one. The flat beds can haul a car up with ther winches with the brake on and in park. GPS beacons hidden in the car can at least help police to find it but that is expensive too.