The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Chevy truck bed

Old February 2nd, 2017, 12:45 PM
Always room for one more

Chevy truck bed

Hi everyone.

I ended up with a pickup(96 short bed Silverado) that belonged to a former friend of mine. I've got a few dollars into it and am parting it out to get some of my money back.

The bed was a little banged up but rust free and pretty straight. I signed on for helping this guy out because I knew I could sell the bed and get my money back plus. When I got the truck the left quarter panel behind the wheel is bent under because the guy took half the axle loose and then tried to drive, shoving the tire into the body.

Question. Is the bed still worth salvaging with this damage? I know rust free beds are popular but don't know how much work someone would want to put into one. I've had trouble getting it loose, everything I see says it's only 4 bolts but there's all sorts of straps and small brackets and the fuel filler neck seems to be kicking my *** for some reason. I'm ready to just take what's left to the crusher, but I don't want to waste this bed if there's any value left in it. I'm getting impatient, though, because I need the trailer it's sitting on.

Any ideas? Thanks everyone.

Last edited by slantflat; February 2nd, 2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 01:05 PM
OldsMoStyle

Depends of what year/model bed it is really. Got pics?
Old February 2nd, 2017, 01:28 PM
Always room for one more

No don't have any pictures. It's your run-of-the-mill 96 Silverado short bed. That might be some good information, I'll amend my post above.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 04:59 PM
OldsMoStyle

If it's rust free and repairable it's gotta be worth something to someone. Well, here anyways. You living somewhere that rust isn't really an issue it may be a little different. Here that bed would probably go for about 500 bucks. Maybe just toss it up on Craigslist for the hell of it. If you don't get any action, off to the scrap yard.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 04:32 AM

If it's got the stock wheels in good shape, and you're parting, I could use them and some other things for my 98 Tahoe.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 11:09 AM

Mike, I think ya need a home improvement project for that thing
Attached Images