The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Beware of Bob Peters of www.455sx.

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2014, 11:50 PM

Beware of Bob Peters of www.455sx.

Bob sent me an email, apologized and removed the derogatory statements on his forum so it's only fair I do the same. Bob is very passionate about his car and the good thing to come out of this is the forum picked up a new member I would have thought we would have been here long ago. This forum is a great resource and in the end helped two members resolve their differences. No one actually got hurt, it's all a matter of expectations and emotions. This is not the time for conflict , many other important things in life to worry about.

Bob and everyone here, please have a very Happy Easter.

Garrett

Last edited by REFORMULATED400; April 18th, 2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old April 18th, 2014, 03:15 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Wow.

- Eric
Old April 18th, 2014, 04:19 AM
Hookers under Hood

Wow X2.... Did this guy send you pics or a video prior to you paying and taking the flight?
Old April 18th, 2014, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by 76olds
Wow X2.... Did this guy send you pics or a video prior to you paying and taking the flight?
X10. I would not spend $580 to see a car without pics and other paper works.
Old April 18th, 2014, 05:00 AM

I don't personally know either of these gentleman although I've had a little interaction with Garrett and it's been pleasant. It is interesting that he stated in a wanted ad here he was specifically looking for a 68 442.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...968-442-a.html

As is usually the case there are two sides to every story. Here's Bob Peter's side of it. It's posted on the Oldsmobile Cutlass SX group on Facebook:

So this guy Garrett Gettleman calls me (SX455 club) looking to buy a nice 1970 Cutlass SX W-32, but can't seem to find one. Loves my car, color, options, etc. He asks me if I'd sell my car. After lots of emails and phone calls he agrees to buy the car for $30K and emails me a copy of the check. He asks me to swap wheels and do some other minor repairs that total $450 that he agrees to pay for above the $30K. Yesterday he comes from Cali to check out my SX. He kind of beats on... it during the test drive. Says he loves my car, will send trailer to pick it up next week and we can do paperwork in the morning. Then right before he leaves he states he's looking at a bunch of different cars (Buicks, etc.) and not sure which one he wants to buy. Later that night he emails me and tells me he's going to pass on my car and keep looking. A total waste of my time, money and emotions about selling my car. If Garrett Gettleman asks about buying your Oldsmobile don't waste your time, the guy is a fraud!! What's your muscle car sales nightmare?
Old April 18th, 2014, 05:35 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Wow.

- Eric
Old April 18th, 2014, 05:48 AM

Isn't this the same guy that was advertising wanting a strong #2, 442 not too long ago?
Old April 18th, 2014, 05:57 AM
Hookers under Hood

I think Eric's "WOW" sums it all up. I have learned so much since I joined CO. I'm surprised Garrett didn't post his find and pics on CO prior to his flight as he was given so much assistance in his original post.
Old April 18th, 2014, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by ELY442
X10. I would not spend $580 to see a car without pics and other paper works.

Seems like his $580 was money well spent to save him from getting a car he would not be satisfied with. Pics don't always tell the story.

Henry
Old April 18th, 2014, 06:03 AM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by Nilsson
Isn't this the same guy that was advertising wanting a strong #2, 442 not too long ago?

Lol !! Its like advertising...... Wanted woman who can cook, clean , sew, and owns her own farm. Please send picture of tractor
Old April 18th, 2014, 06:08 AM
Administrator

It's unfortunate that things don't always work out to consummate a car deal. A car purchase is very emotional, sometimes for both buyer and seller. There are always issues that arise and the voices in your head start talking and the deal unravels for one reason or another.
Old April 18th, 2014, 06:34 AM
Past Administrator

I say Wow as well, as was mentioned there are two sides to every story. I think it is sad that public forums like ours and the SX group on Facebook are used by people to "warn" others though, I just don't like it.
Old April 18th, 2014, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by 66400
Seems like his $580 was money well spent to save him from getting a car he would not be satisfied with. Pics don't always tell the story.

Henry
It was money that was very well spent. What is wrong with Bob is he lied about another car to promote his and then wants me to pay to have his trans serviced and a new battery. How can he think I was playing games when I showed him the money and spend a considerable sum to travel to meet him. The fact is had the car been what he said it was he would have that check and I would have his car.... But asking me to maintain his car is comical.
Old April 18th, 2014, 09:05 AM

If you have legitimate reasons for turning the car down, then that's that.

Did you "beat on" the car during the test drive?
Old April 18th, 2014, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
If you have legitimate reasons for turning the car down, then that's that.

Did you "beat on" the car during the test drive?
No I did not beat on the car in any way. I pressed the pedal down 3/4 to the floor from about 25 MPH to see how the trans downshifted and engine revved up, never wound it up over 4K or so, never broke the speed limit as we on an expressway. Seems like it was retarded or has a flat cam as it has a slight miss and just did not pull like a w32 should. He actually told me to take it out on the highway and push it harder, I did not. Trans had a shift kit and shifted pretty firm chirped second a bit with no posi. Engine did not make power above 3k or so like it should. He's just mad I did not buy it I imagine. My 69 GP 428 would saw it off so something is not right. He cannot work on the car himself so I doubt he knows where to start or what to look at.
Old April 18th, 2014, 09:29 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If a seller won't let me floor the gas, hit the brake hard, and take a right and a left turn briskly, I become very suspicious.

- Eric
Old April 18th, 2014, 10:23 AM

Response from President of the SX455 club

I'm sorry if Garrett feels I misrepresented the car.
Old April 18th, 2014, 11:02 AM

Any car should be able to handle full throttle acceleration and all the braking you can give it. And turn. This is a normal test procedure for inspecting a car. They all tolerated that when made. To me, "beating on it" would be like a neutral drop or manually maintaining a low gear past the redline. I have had a few Olds survive quite a bit of that, too- my own cars.
Old April 18th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Originally Posted by MDchanic
If a seller won't let me floor the gas, hit the brake hard, and take a right and a left turn briskly, I become very suspicious.

- Eric
Originally Posted by Octania
Any car should be able to handle full throttle acceleration and all the braking you can give it. And turn. This is a normal test procedure for inspecting a car. They all tolerated that when made. To me, "beating on it" would be like a neutral drop or manually maintaining a low gear past the redline. I have had a few Olds survive quite a bit of that, too- my own cars.
+ 1

The only time I would not subject a potential purchase to this would be if it were being advertised with known issues and/or it was clearly obvious something was already very wrong.

Knocking/tapping motor - slipping transmission - frame rot etc etc etc.
Old April 18th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Sounds like one of those million dollar real estate deals that falls thru because the vendor takes the refrigerator when he moves...
If someone was buying a car from me, I would perform all service needed and buy lunch!.....someone really did not want to buy/ sell the car! IMHO
Old April 18th, 2014, 12:43 PM
71 cutlass convertible

[QUOTE=Oldsguy;685991]I say Wow as well, as was mentioned there are two sides to every story.

I always have found that there are 3 sides to every story. Yours, His and reality which is somewhere in the middle.

Larry
Old April 18th, 2014, 04:01 PM

Bpb's Side of the Story

I want to be clear a few things up. On March 25, 2104 Garrett asked me if I knew if a car for sale in Florida was a W-32. I looked up the VIN in the SX Registry as a courtesy and stated I could not tell from the data I had if that car was a W-32. I did not mislead Garrett away from buying the car in Florida and there was no discussion of me selling my car to him at that time.

A few days later Garrett asked me if I’d be interested in selling my car. I said I'd think about and called him back a few days later and told him I'd sell it for a firm price of $30K. I explained he was paying a premium price as I had no intention of selling my SX. I explained there were some issues with the car. Garrett said he was a mechanic, had contacts and could make any repairs. What he wanted was a documented W-32 that he could drive.
FYI – In the SX455 Registry there are 22 1970 Cutlass SX W-32 Hard Tops with documented build sheets and a total of 46 W-32. A total 1025 Hard Tops and Convertibles were built for this one year only SX W-32 optioned model.

My car was featured in a five page story in Hemmings Muscle Machines Magazine in 2005 (they don’t do stories on junk). The car is on OCA posters, was featured in JWO and has been the home page car on SX455.com for years.

Well respected Oldsmobile gurus Terry Divelbliss and OCA President Jerry Wilson (both SX experts) have personally driven my car. On April 10th I emailed Terry for his honest opinion of my car. Terry said, “I Remember that I last saw and drove your car prior to the repaint, if I remember correctly, but it was very nice even then. If you were to have asked me without telling me what the potential buyer offered, I would have said offhand $25K-$28K since it's a W32 with newer paint and with OAI added. You're getting into convertible money or a hardtop with a higher degree of restoration (and a non-driver) when you go much higher them that. I'd hate to see you sell it, but you're not getting ripped off at $30K - that's very fair and realistic money.”

I did put $450 into the car prior to showing it to Garrett. A lot of back and forth to shop dropping off the wheels to swap out, emails, phone calls, gathering all the documents and receipts for him, etc. I cut a business trip short to show Garrett the car.

To be fair to Garrett, I did tell him the AC worked, it blows but does not blow cold. I never use the AC and I don’t drive the car in the hot Las Vegas summer heat. But I was accurate describing to the car to the best of my ability.

After the test drive Garrett didn’t want to see any documentation. He said he was hungry, needed to make some business calls and would call me the next morning. I knew at that time he was not going to buy the car.

Later that night I got the following email “Thank you showing me the car today and taking the time. It was also nice to meet you as well. The car is nice and everything you said it was. I'm going to pursue another car though I'm sure you will have no problems selling it.”
Old April 18th, 2014, 05:30 PM

Can we all just see some pictures of the car so that at the very least we know what the discussion is about?
Old April 18th, 2014, 06:12 PM

Bob Peters 1970 SX W-32

Here's pictures of my car
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Wheels SX W32 Side .jpg (68.4 KB, 104 views)
SX W32 Front 3.jpg (88.7 KB, 92 views)
SX W32 April 2014 Front.jpg (59.4 KB, 81 views)
Old April 18th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Lansing built

I believe this is the article:http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/..._feature6.html

Pat
Old April 18th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Hookers under Hood

Very nice car, the interior also looks great. I hope your happy to keep your car now. Garrett may search for what he had been looking for to begin with.

Welcome to CO.
Old April 18th, 2014, 06:27 PM

Bob Peters SX

Thanks for posting the link. Yes this is my 1970 Cutlass SX W-32. The body is nicer now then when the story was written.

Originally Posted by 1970cs
Old April 19th, 2014, 10:45 AM

I have no dog in this fight, but...

"I did tell him the AC worked, it blows but does not blow cold. "

WT...?
That's also known as DOES NOT WORK.

Similar to
"The tires are fine, they are just flat and only on the bottom..."
"The trans is perfect, except reverse does not work..."
"Has a posi, but w/o the clutch plates..."
"exhaust was all new [20 yrs ago] it just needs mufflers, tailpipes, and head pipes..."

AC can only be described as "works" if it blows ice cold air per factory service manual specs. And, for more than a day before the refrigerant leaks out. Anything other than that is honestly described as "doesn't work, needs repair."
Old April 19th, 2014, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Octania
I have no dog in this fight, but...

"I did tell him the AC worked, it blows but does not blow cold. "

WT...?
That's also known as DOES NOT WORK.
X2 but not all that important in the big picture. There are much bigger opportunities for misinformation than whether the AC works or not. The buyer shouldn't assume that whatever the seller says is true, and should inspect everything before purchase. If there is a discrepancy the seller should be willing to adjust the price or there's no deal. My opinion though. In general, it seems deals, purchases and agreements as never final until the paperwork is signed.

For the potential seller, at least you still have a car you love and it is a little better with the repairs.

For the potential buyer, at least you know your money was well spent checking it out.

I'm sure you both will agree that you've learned something from this. Now you'll probably handle these things differently in the future, and you can give others good advice. From the first post it seems that you both want to move on. Ride on guys. All the best.
Old April 19th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Hookers under Hood

Lol... I had T-roofs in an 86 olds cutlass that didn't leak ... only when it rained !!!