The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Bad weather for playing in the driveway!

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2009, 08:56 AM

Bad weather for playing in the driveway!

Bummer! I had my to-do list of things I wanted to get done this weekend. When I got up this morning it was 27 degrees, foggy and white! It looks like a dusting of snow but I'm sure it's just ice crystals that have come out of the fog. Is it too soon to start daydreaming about summer coming back?
Old December 5th, 2009, 09:01 AM

19 in our backyard this AM! Too cold to go work on either of the '68's! No moisture, though. Maybe Tuesday, high in the mid-50's, I can put a few things I had painted back under the hood on the Silver Bullet.
Old December 5th, 2009, 06:31 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Here in Indiana today was about 30 degrees,sunny and dry...they haven't put any salt on the roads yet.
I was lucky enough to get a 3 hour ride in
Old December 5th, 2009, 07:26 PM

Well we got 2 feet of snow and it's crazy out there. Shovelled half my driveway and will do the rest tomorrow( 100') . Supposed to be -28C tomorrow which is about -20F. I'll put up the Christmas lights
Old December 5th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 442much
Well we got 2 feet of snow and it's crazy out there. Shovelled half my driveway and will do the rest tomorrow( 100') . Supposed to be -28C tomorrow which is about -20F. I'll put up the Christmas lights
Ha! Got ya beat buddy...already shovelled mine 3 times since this mess started. Funny thing is, I thought that was my sons job. He apparently thinks it's mine. Don't care now. Longer you wait the more crap there is to shovel. If you don't have a snowblower, you need one. Either that or get the Mother in law to come over and talk to you outside. Just point her where the snow needs to be blown. Works every time

You puttin up those new energy star LED bulbs? I'm thinking of changing over. Colors seem to be bright and they apparently draw very little current. I like bright lights, except for when you realize you're driving down a runway in the middle of a snowstorm.
Old December 5th, 2009, 08:24 PM

My sons will help but yeah, they don't really want to....like I do! I'll put up the lights that are already on the roof (I have a flat roof).

Of course,relaxing by a open fire with the smell and sound of cracklin'birtch is nice on a snowy winters night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_5651.jpg (60.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC_5653.jpg (77.4 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by 442much; December 5th, 2009 at 08:29 PM. Reason: can spell
Old December 5th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Cutlass Lover

Our company headquarters is in Houston... they were e-mailing us pictures of the snow comin down there on Friday! Makes for some crazy driving for them! We had a little sun this afternoon, but it is cold. Only 28 here today for the high, it's down to 22 right now, but they're calling for a low of 17 overnight. No snow, thank God! Yet.
Old December 5th, 2009, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Our company headquarters is in Houston... they were e-mailing us pictures of the snow comin down there on Friday! Makes for some crazy driving for them! We had a little sun this afternoon, but it is cold. Only 28 here today for the high, it's down to 22 right now, but they're calling for a low of 17 overnight. No snow, thank God! Yet.
That's like Vancouver. If they get a little snow in the city, it's hell because they are not use to it. Although they were pretty happy to hear that the mountains (Olymipcs) were getting snow. We're having a hard time with this amount of snow because we don't get this much either, but we can adapt. Usually the east gets more.

I remember one year while I was growing up in Montreal, Buffalo, NY got nailed with a hugh snow storm. The city was shut down and it was forcast to head south. Montreal had the largest, most modern snow removal equipment in the country and when Buffalo asked if they could borrow most of it, Montreal loaded it on several NY National Guard and US military C130's. The next day the storm changed direction and hit Montreal. People, police, paramedics were getting around on snowmobiles. Even some of the Montreal Canadiens hockey team went to the Forum to play hockey which was cancelled. The city was shut down for three days until the equipment returned. It was pretty cool to say the least.

Last edited by 442much; December 5th, 2009 at 11:12 PM. Reason: still can't spell
Old December 5th, 2009, 09:54 PM

Was 38F this am in Phnx, AZ and 70F in the afternoon, now it's 45F. Big weather swings in the desert. But no snow - it can happen though.
Old December 6th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Cutlass Lover

I love Phoenix!!! Wish I lived there! Someday......
Old December 6th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Getting There

No snow here yet.......... but I have a feeling it`s coming soon
Like John severe frost in the mornings

Ken wow nice little dumping you got Glads its there and not here
Old December 6th, 2009, 08:29 AM

In late 20's here supposed to have a wind chill factor by tonight which will drop the temp a bit. Got the heater installed in the garage yesterday. Working at 50 degrees is sure a lot better then working at 25 degrees. I am a happy man, weld, grind, weld, grind............................
Old December 6th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Captain of my ship

That's like Vancouver. If they get a little snow in the city, it's hell because they are not use to it. Although they were pretty happy to hear that the mountains (Olymipcs) were getting snow. We're having a hard time with this amount of snow because we don't get this much either, but we can adapt. Usually the east gets more.

I remember one year while I was growing up in Montreal, Buffalo, NY got nailed with a hugh snow storm. The city was shut down and it was forcast to head south. Montreal had the largest, most modern snow removal equipment in the country and when Buffalo asked if they could borrow most of it, Montreal loaded it on several NY National Guard and US military C130's. The next day the storm changed direction and hit Montreal. People, police, paramedics were getting around on snowmobiles. Even some of the Montreal Canadiens hockey team went to the Forum to play hockey which was cancelled. The city was shut down for three days until the equipment returned. It was pretty cool to say the least.
That would have been in 1971 was it not?
Old December 6th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Captain of my ship

We are just getting our first snow today looks like I might have to jump in the tractor later. Got about 4" down now and it's still snowing like crazy.
Old December 6th, 2009, 08:38 AM

Driving season is probably over in south eastern Mass, even though barely 2" fell and it will be a beautifull 45 degree sunny day, the roads are thoroughly salted. Luckily I mostly prepared the machine for winter storage just 2 days ago. I'll only bring it out again if we get a good warm rain to wash the streets. Otherwise it's add some fuel stabilizer and put her to sleep till spring, at which time she'll be going to a shop for some minor paint work and sealing of the rear window and trunk gutter. Then it's off to the exhaust shop for a new system.
Old December 6th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Snowplows? Graders? WTH???? We don't need no stinkin snow clearin equipment. Just pack it down and layer it. Like a hair dressers guide to managing hair!!

Seriously, do any of you hear the same old tired excuses from the transportation section when it snows? "Yeah, we're putting trucks out there to sand, but we don't want to grade or plow till it's stopped. We only have so much money in the snow removal budget and this wasn't part of it".

Right. I forgot that's why we pay muni taxes and huge car insurance.
Old December 6th, 2009, 10:47 AM

We just got enough rain this morning to cancel my outdoor plans to rake leaves and clean gutters. Darn.... Of course the temp of 44 is better than 24 that I had yesterday AM...

Snow pictures are awesome! I like visiting places with lots o' snow. As long as I go not have to shovel it, I love it!
Old December 6th, 2009, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by wolfman98
That would have been in 1971 was it not?

Exactly!
Old December 7th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by Allan R
Snowplows? Graders? WTH???? We don't need no stinkin snow clearin equipment. Just pack it down and layer it. Like a hair dressers guide to managing hair!!

Seriously, do any of you hear the same old tired excuses from the transportation section when it snows? "Yeah, we're putting trucks out there to sand, but we don't want to grade or plow till it's stopped. We only have so much money in the snow removal budget and this wasn't part of it".

Right. I forgot that's why we pay muni taxes and huge car insurance.

I lived in Regina for 13 years and remember them only sanding the roads. They would only plow if there was a lot of snow so by spring time the roads had 6" of hard packed snow and sand that was usually the last to melt. Of course then they spent most of the spring with the road sweepers cleaning up all the sand.
Old December 7th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Getting There

I grew up in Regina.....LOL I actually skated to school a few times no joke!!
Old December 7th, 2009, 06:16 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

NW Indiana recieved it's first inch of snow last night and salt use was pretty wide spread...my crusing is over for this season...it's gonna be a long cold winter of wishing for spring to hurry up.

Old December 7th, 2009, 07:39 PM
GM Enthusiast

So far no snow here yet but the temp finally dropped down into the 40's over the weekend. So hopefully I will still get some cruzin days yet.

I know when I lived in upstate NY (not too far from Buffalo) the car would have been put away about a month ago due to the snow up there. Sorry to hear that our northern friends are buried already, you'll have to send more pictures.
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:22 PM
is Fast Enough ...

It got into the 40s' tonite ...

brrrr...

Old December 8th, 2009, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by w-30dreamin
NW Indiana recieved it's first inch of snow last night and salt use was pretty wide spread...my crusing is over for this season...it's gonna be a long cold winter of wishing for spring to hurry up.

Ha...I'm in central IN We got ~ 1/2" Sun night. According to the news its the end of the damn world. Plows running day & night starting Sat, spraying salt/ saltwater everywhere, simps whining that schools should be closed, idiots crashing left & right, etc... Of course it was ~35F by noon and the roads cleared themselves....What a bunch of weenies...Its gonna be a long winter....
Old December 8th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Captain of my ship

I saw they got snow in Flagstaff AZ and lots of other places in the midwest. Snow is heading east so anyone without it should get ready. We have had -1 to -3 during the day but rain for thursday so hopefully the snow will go away.
Old December 8th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Captain of my ship

Exactly!
I was watching a couple of the old habs talking about it on the tube the other day for their 100 year anniversary. That storm continued eastward and buried us on the east coast I remember.
Old December 8th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Brrrr??? Not so my friend....

Originally Posted by mugzilla
It got into the 40s' tonite ...

brrrr...

This morning, I told my son to bundle up as he went to catch public transit. It was only -36 with windchill. I know you're gonna say that's Canadian temp so it's much warmer, but -36Celsius is the same as -32.8 Farenheit. Our overnight low was only -29. We still haven't had snowplows out to clear the streets in our area. Only been 5 days and the snow's packin down pretty good. Only the occasional moron who can't drive is getting stuck. (ok, a lot of em are). Lots and lots of fender benders. Let's see now. The road is covered with snow and ice - not sand. It's not great. What speed should you travel? According to Moron Driving 101 you should ignore all others and either go 10 miles per hour or spin the tires as fast as you can.

Most people with AWD or 4X4's still think they can stop as quickly as they can get going. That's when we visit the next chapter of Moron Driving 102.

Into the 40's to us means + temperatures. ie: +45F = +7 or better Celsius. Heck that's swimmin pool temp cause the water hasn't froze over yet. At least short sleeve shirt and a light windbreaker??
Old December 8th, 2009, 11:32 AM

This morning, I told my son to bundle up as he went to catch public transit. It was only -36 with windchill. I know you're gonna say that's Canadian temp so it's much warmer, but -36Celsius is the same as -32.8 Farenheit. Our overnight low was only -29. We still haven't had snowplows out to clear the streets in our area. Only been 5 days and the snow's packin down pretty good. Only the occasional moron who can't drive is getting stuck. (ok, a lot of em are). Lots and lots of fender benders. Let's see now. The road is covered with snow and ice - not sand. It's not great. What speed should you travel? According to Moron Driving 101 you should ignore all others and either go 10 miles per hour or spin the tires as fast as you can.

Most people with AWD or 4X4's still think they can stop as quickly as they can get going. That's when we visit the next chapter of Moron Driving 102.

Into the 40's to us means + temperatures. ie: +45F = +7 or better Celsius. Heck that's swimmin pool temp cause the water hasn't froze over yet. At least short sleeve shirt and a light windbreaker??
Allan, all that snow is why Canada has over 25% of the planets fresh water. In 50 years from now we'll be exporting water instead of oil and gas.

I don't know what it is. When someone asks me about temperature I use Celcius (Metric). If they ask distance I use miles (Old English System). I was 16 when Canada made the switch so I guess I can't make up my mind.
Old December 8th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Onto something here...

Allan, all that snow is why Canada has over 25% of the planets fresh water. In 50 years from now we'll be exporting water instead of oil and gas.

I don't know what it is. When someone asks me about temperature I use Celcius (Metric). If they ask distance I use miles (Old English System). I was 16 when Canada made the switch so I guess I can't make up my mind.
X2 buddy. I still go through that conundrum (oooh there's the big word of the day) all the time. Hey, it we're going to have the market on fresh water, we should start a company, stockpile, get listed on the NASDAQ, TSX etc and make a killing. We could also get into hydro-electric genereration!!! Instead of being Dubai, we'll call ourselves "Inyereye" Even beer and Coke need "fresh water" to taste right....

I can relate pretty easy to the Celsius scale now, but have a real hard time with the litre/kilometers thing. I still go by the old mpg. Easy way to do it though, if you have a calculator:

total km travelled divided by litres per fill X 4.54 (litres in a Can gallon) divided by 1.6 (km in a "real" mile) = mpg. It works for me.. Of course if I took my 98 on a trip to the US, it tells me on the dash how many US mpg I'm getting. That's where it gets confooosing. Driving sensibly on a road trip, according to US, I get about 35 mpg (taking into account their gallon is 3.78 litres), but in Canada I get around 40 mpg. I like Canadian mpg better except when it comes to filling the tank. Then 1 Canadian gallon costs $3.90. A US Gallon at the same gas station would cost $3.24. Since our money is closer to the US right now, there's only minor pocket change in value. It would be really great to buy in "US gallons" and get "Canadian mileage" Vote for me next election and "I promise" to revisit this issue and possibly resolve it or not. See? I'm learning to talk like a politician.

BTW, what are you doing on the site? Don't U work anymore??? Me either, I took the week off (thank God) to watch Roar of the Rings. Later...
Old December 8th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Registered

Roar of the Rings??
Curling is a sort of quiet sport isn't it???

If they really want to roar they need some of these babies for their brooms.

Baseball......I mean Hockey cards held on with clothes pins won't work in this case... unless thay have spokes on those brooms??

I think it's time for this video to come out for winter again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjvAu7P9maY
Old December 8th, 2009, 04:42 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Originally Posted by Indy_68_S
Ha...I'm in central IN We got ~ 1/2" Sun night. According to the news its the end of the damn world. Plows running day & night starting Sat, spraying salt/ saltwater everywhere, simps whining that schools should be closed, idiots crashing left & right, etc... Of course it was ~35F by noon and the roads cleared themselves....What a bunch of weenies...Its gonna be a long winter....

Same story here,people having wrecks all over the place.

nice to meet ya neighbor
Old December 8th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Roar of the Rings??
Nope! Tune in on TSN or TSN 2 in your area and watch for awhile. It rivals the Cleveland Browns on some days and Dallas on others. Just depends on whose playing, right?

check it out http://www.ctvolympics.ca/curling/ne...sid=20788.html

If you're not a curler or interested in drinking, this isn't for you.....
Old December 8th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Registered

Nope! Tune in on TSN or TSN 2 in your area and watch for awhile. It rivals the Cleveland Browns on some days and Dallas on others. Just depends on whose playing, right?

check it out http://www.ctvolympics.ca/curling/ne...sid=20788.html

If you're not a curler or interested in drinking, this isn't for you.....
Rivals the Browns?? That ain't hard.

Believe it or not here on the top coast they actually have Curling leagues, Hockey too.

Bumper-hitching is similar to Curling when you let go of the car and start sliding down the street at 40 miles per hour all on your own.
Old December 8th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Cutlass Lover

.....I think it's time for this video to come out for winter again.

Now that's funny!!! Dudley Do-right???

Allan R.... Is curling the same thing as hockey?? And, I didn't understand a thing you were babbling about up above.... km's and liters and your big word of the day!

Ever slide down a hill on a car hood???
Old December 8th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Allan R.... Is curling the same thing as hockey?? And, I didn't understand a thing you were babbling about up above.... km's and liters and your big word of the day!

Ever slide down a hill on a car hood???
Same as hockey?

Be careful Sandy, the guys from down-under and England may get the wrong idea when you say sliding down a hill on a car "hood".

If the thief is buck naked or wearing slippery clothes it may just work though???

Never mind.
Old December 8th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Cutlass Lover

"Bonnet" just doesn't sound the same! I dunno about bein buck naked or wearing slippery clothes.... it would be pretty darned cold on that hood!!!

I'm neverminding.
Old December 8th, 2009, 07:29 PM

BTW, what are you doing on the site? Don't U work anymore??? Me either, I took the week off (thank God) to watch Roar of the Rings. Later...
I took a break between quotes to Australia, Dubai, Iraq and the US. Tomorrow it's Cuba, Singapore and India....so far. I usually check in at lunch time.

Originally Posted by [B
cutlassgal] [/b]Is curling the same thing as hockey??
Not even close! Personally, I don't watch curling. Basically, curling is shuffleboard on ice. Hockey's my game, the coolest game on ice...

Allan, you took time off work to watch curling? I think I'd rather be at work... I cash in three days around Christmas and get 10 days off and that leave me with 28 days for vacation next year.
Old December 8th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Personally, ...........curling is.......the coolest game on ice...

With slight - actually a lot- of editing, I have to agree with you.
Allan, you took time off work to watch curling? I think I'd rather be at work... I cash in three days around Christmas and get 10 days off and that leave me with 28 days for vacation next year.
Yup, took the whole week off. I know already, to you curling is as exciting as watching chess, or was that chests? I don't mind not being at work. Last year I didn't get much holidays and worked on some of my off days so I accumulated a lot of banked time. I still have another 8 weeks of accumulated vacation time to use up. Might as well be now cause I can stay inside instead of being out in the cold. Mind you, Rexall isn't really that cold, and they do serve (expensive) beer! If I play my cards right with all the holidays, I could take off close to 4 months next year and just use up my vacation allotment for 2010.
Old December 9th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Roar of the Rings??

If they really want to roar they need some of these babies for their brooms.

Baseball......I mean Hockey cards held on with clothes pins won't work in this case... unless thay have spokes on those brooms??

I think it's time for this video to come out for winter again.

It's quieter now but when I started curling they had corn brooms and they were a lot noisier but nothing compared to the synthetic brooms that followed them. Used like corn brooms they would slap the ice and boom repeatedly. They outlawed them in a lot of rinks cause they made so much noise that if you were on the sheet next to a couple of guys sweeping hard you could not hear your skip yelling 'HURRYHARD'
Old December 9th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by wolfman98
It's quieter now but when I started curling they had corn brooms and they were a lot noisier but nothing compared to the synthetic brooms that followed them. Used like corn brooms they would slap the ice and boom repeatedly. They outlawed them in a lot of rinks cause they made so much noise that if you were on the sheet next to a couple of guys sweeping hard you could not hear your skip yelling 'HURRYHARD'
Wolfman, you're a curler too? Yay not alone.
Cornbrooms were REALLY noisy like you said, but they were also really messy. The chaff flew everywhere. 2 years ago I was at a bonspiel in Saskatoon and one of the guys 2 sheets down decided to use is corn just for fun. Lasted all of 1 rock. EVERYONE stopped curling and waited for him to stop. The new brooms (mine is a Reactor 11) are superior in every way. I'd never go back to a corn broom. Its bad enough when you've got 10 sheets of ice going at the same time trying to hear what the skip is calling. Mostly, it's in the hands of the sweeper once it's on its way anyhow. You still play? I alternate between 3rd and Skip.
whoa!!!! No line at all.....gotta bend .... NOW!!! Go, Haaaarrdddd, real hard.....every inch!!!!

Quick Reply: Bad weather for playing in the driveway!