The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Bad day in the FJ40 Toyo today, endless story

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2018, 07:40 PM

Bad day in the FJ40 Toyo today, endless story

This rig is my wood getter, around the place tractor, log winchen ,snow going, 300 hp beast.I sorta ignore it most of the time because it is so reliable... except today. I needed to fall 20 or so oak trees so they can be drying for next years fire wood. I usually get someone to go with me when I'm falling trees in this area because it is extremely seep and footing sucks and bad things can happen if you drop a tree on yourself. You at least need someone to call the corner if you screw up.

My partner today was my 91 year old dad, what possibly could go wrong? Me with bad legs and lungs with the Old Man less than 9 years from hitting a century. And I thought youngens didn't think things through.

Made it down this skid road about a mile and a half, cut down all the trees I needed, kept the Old Man from running a saw which was a job in itself. He doesn't know how to slow down, and headed back up this bolder on bolder road. 100 yards up the road then the FJ shut off, felt as though it ran out of gas and I couldn't remember when the last time I gassed this thing up but I usually keep it full but who knows today.

The only option is to walk out and get some gas(gauge does not work ether does our cell phones ).Took about a hour or so to get to the house and get some gas We both were gassed also.Back down the hill in the Old Mans 4x4 and I started to put 2 gallons of gas in the FJ and guess what it only took a half gallon then over filled and ran out, plenty of gas in there, we have other problems and no tools or time. I had to leave the Cruiser down the hill till I can get some tools and figure out what going on... Maybe tomorrow, long day today.... Tedd
Old March 29th, 2018, 08:43 PM

Sorry you had the problems you did. But it sounds like you and your Dad made it through the stress test OK! I hope its something simple and you can get the Landcruiser running soon!

John
Old March 30th, 2018, 01:58 AM

good luck getting it going again ted .i rely heavily on my tractor to get my wood in and if it breaks down im lost without it .and kudos to your dad whos still ready to help you out at the age of 91
Old March 30th, 2018, 08:39 PM

Well I went down the hill to try and get a idea on what's not working on the cruiser this evening. It's looking more like electrical so far ,I have juice through the battery to the coil but no juice in the distributor so probably points or condenser.It got too dark to do much more diagnostic work.

The tow bar is on it and all ready to go but I'm doubtful that one 4x4 can pull that heavy beast out of the canyon buy it's self. I'm trying to line up a couple friends and get a daisy train going to get it to the top of the hill and back to my place . Some will want to do it just for the adventure, me I just want my rig near the house and tools I've been on that adventure before....... Tedd
Old March 31st, 2018, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Before trying to tow it, check or throw a set of points/condenser in it. Make sure the coil- wire is good to the points and the little ground wire inside the distributor plate is good. Run a jumper to the coil+ terminal from the battery, and see if it will start.
Old March 31st, 2018, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Before trying to tow it, check or throw a set of points/condenser in it. Make sure the coil- wire is good to the points and the little ground wire inside the distributor plate is good. Run a jumper to the coil+ terminal from the battery, and see if it will start.
I did a check on the coil wire and also jumped a wire from the battery to the + on the coil with no difference. I did have juice through the coil (checked with a multi meter later) though but it seems to die there. I popped the cap off but by this time it was getting too dark to see.But I didn't think about the ground wire, good suggestion on that. I do have a old set of points and condenser in the glove box but it's getting hard to reach and work on the distributor with my bad shoulder and used up legs but I'll get it done shortly.

It's kinda hard to explain how steep this trail is but when I last loaded my two wheel trailer load of wood near this spot my cruiser with chains on couldn't pull it up the hill.I had to unload part of the trailer to get rolling. I had plenty of power but couldn't get enough traction. That has me a little worried trying to get it up the hill with only one tow vehicle..... Tedd
Old March 31st, 2018, 01:17 PM

Is it fuel injected?
Old March 31st, 2018, 01:24 PM

If it’s fuel injected, you might have trip the pump shutoff while going over a bump. If it’s not, you might have a lot of water in your tank and the steep terrain might have sucked up a bunch and drain your carb.
Old March 31st, 2018, 05:45 PM

No it's a Qudra- Jet in a SBC 327. Doubtful it's water I gave it a good shot of starting fluid and not a pop from the engine. I think it's distributor related but I really need to get it on flat ground to figure it out. It shouldn't be that much of a problem once I'm on terma furma.... Tedd
Old April 1st, 2018, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by RROLDSX
If it’s fuel injected, you might have trip the pump shutoff while going over a bump. If it’s not, you might have a lot of water in your tank and the steep terrain might have sucked up a bunch and drain your carb.
Only fords have those.
Old April 1st, 2018, 09:16 AM

Might the coil have died?
Old April 1st, 2018, 01:11 PM
MOTORHEAD

Originally Posted by RandyS
Might the coil have died?
good idea
test light power to the coil
spark at coil
and go from there

I like to put HEI GM ignition in my critters

Happy Easter TEDD

If I lived closer I would be happy to hook my 4x4 up
Be careful
Be Safe
Old April 1st, 2018, 03:02 PM

I once had a Pertronix in this same Cruiser close to the same spot (same road) and a ignition igniter failed!Thought I would be smart a$$ and change back to points. Goes to show you what I know about electrics.

Like the cowboy said... If it has **** or tires you will have problems with it..... Tedd
Old April 1st, 2018, 03:15 PM
Administrator

The advantage though, if it has tires, you can turn it off and fix it...
Old April 1st, 2018, 05:11 PM
MOTORHEAD

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The advant

age though, if it has tires, you can turn it off and fix it...
old

blazing thru
here it comes now
Old April 9th, 2018, 04:54 PM

She is alive on flat ground and running

The Old Man and I finally got the beast up the hill. We chained up the Durango on all 4's and ran a strap on his f 150 rear bumper to my A arm and hauled the thing up the hill by the tow bar. It took several runs at it but it is home and with a little work running today.

Looks like bad corrosion in the distributor cap and wires. I can see a complete tune up happening before I go any place that's not flat. Actually had it running in about 10 minutes and it sounded good for a rig with foamy green wires...... I'm glad that's over.... Tedd
Old April 10th, 2018, 04:25 AM

Ted,

I'd love to see you post a couple of pics of your "beast" It sounds pretty cool!
Old April 10th, 2018, 05:34 AM

Tedd, we knew your old man's f150 would be able to tow it out of there. If it had been a Chevy or Dodge that would have been different.

Please do share some pics. Glad to hear you got it running.
Old April 10th, 2018, 05:48 AM

Foamy green wires? Tedd you have curiuos now.
Old April 10th, 2018, 05:52 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Tedd, I still get a kick out of you referring to your dad as the Old Man. I know you are near my age and we are old. I know you realize how fortunate you are to still have him and for him to be as active as he is. I can't believe you had him out cutting firewood. That probably helps keep him young. God bless him.
Old April 10th, 2018, 07:13 AM

I wish I had taken the camera with, me there were a couple times when I spun a tire or four and almost berried the cruiser behind me in dirt and rocks. It would have made a neat picture for later memories.

The Old Man nick name came from what my dad called his dad. It sorta stuck about 20 years ago and unless I call him Pop or Old Man he doesn't respond.

I couldn't find any recent pictures of the Cruiser (I know I have some somewhere) but here are a couple from when it snowed a little..... Tedd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
A little snow 001_small.jpg (59.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg
A little snow 002.JPG (2.07 MB, 8 views)
Old April 12th, 2018, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Like the cowboy said... If it has **** or tires you will have problems with it..... Tedd
When I picked up my first boat in my youth (Four Winns 241 Liberator with twin 350's) a wise man told me something I should have listened to...

"If it flies, f#@!s or floats rent it!" Needles to say I don't do much flying, but the other two might have been good to pay attention to.

I like your rig, how did you wedge a 327 into that?
Old April 12th, 2018, 08:58 AM

The 327 is the third motor(and the best) I have had in that rig. It's not that hard of a conversion the original motor was a Japanese spin off of a Chevy six so everything is set up more or less for Chevy like components.They are a very tough but some what heavy 4x4. This one has a tilt steering, power brakes and power steering.With a SM420 transmission for low gears but no lockers as yet, needs lockers.... Tedd
Old April 13th, 2018, 04:53 AM

Ted,

Thanks for posting the pics. Very cool and must be a blast to play with.
Old April 13th, 2018, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by garage goat2
Foamy green wires? Tedd you have curiuos now.
It appears a rat or mouse spent some time peeing on my distributor cap. The coil wire ends had completely dissolved into a green slime paste that had to be removed with a screwdriver. Never seen that before.... Tedd
Old April 13th, 2018, 10:13 AM

Don't worry, my '42 ****** just threw out the clutch and left me stranded.
Old April 17th, 2018, 11:16 AM

Working with dad in the woods

You story brought back memories of working with my dad gathering firewood on weekends when I was a kid. Like you, we cut, hauled, split and stacked firewood. My dad built a tractor out of an old International truck using two 4-speed transmissions with an A frame PTO winch we called "The Thing". Dad would let me drive the thing when I was about 11 or 12 years old. We'd hook onto a log and take a run at it, dual wheels with chains spinning and throwing dirt. Sometimes the log would collide with a tree stump while we were pulling, lifting the rear wheels off the ground when we came to an instant stop. At the time I realized we were really having fun but still put our efforts in the category of work. Now I consider those times with my Dad priceless.

Warm Regards,
GaryN