The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Arrogant BMW owner, Purdue alumni no less

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2019, 05:29 PM

Arrogant BMW owner, Purdue alumni no less

What a jerk.
Old September 5th, 2019, 08:25 PM

I sometimes have the same attitude when getting behind a car in the far left lane doing 45 in the 65 zone. Some folks just need to learn how to drive in traffic. I'm not gonna modify my vehicle to be a rolling traffic suggestion sign, though; I just move a lane to the right and go around the slowpoke. There's just too many of them to get bothered about, especially in the winter when all the snowbirds show up. The worst seem to be the folks from Oregon.

Last edited by Fun71; September 5th, 2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old September 5th, 2019, 08:58 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

That's when you drive slower then pace him to stick him behind slow cars and **** him off. Recently I was driving through a parking lot and I was driving normal 10 15 MPH and some asshat cuts through and I didn't stop. He was in a rush to get into the drive through at the mc donalds. He flipped me off and yelled and proceeded to get into the drive through lane which had about 10 cars. I turned around rolled my window down and said " That's what the rush was for to wait in line " I then waved my egg mc muffin at him.

I also once had a car cut around me at a high rate of speed and wreck into about 4 cars. I stopped rolled my window and told the guy " you see now you aint going anywhere" He cut around me because I was pacing him and he got stuck behind a semi truck that was loaded so he came flying up on me doing about 90 in a 45. Only reason I was pacing him and putting him behind slower cars is because he was driving like an *** hat.
Old September 5th, 2019, 09:49 PM
Phantom Phixer

In my observation , about 95 percent of BMW drivers are jerks .
To the other 5 percent , no offense intended .
Old September 6th, 2019, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I sometimes have the same attitude when getting behind a car in the far left lane doing 45 in the 65 zone. Some folks just need to learn how to drive in traffic. I'm not gonna modify my vehicle to be a rolling traffic suggestion sign, though; I just move a lane to the right and go around the slowpoke. There's just too many of them to get bothered about, especially in the winter when all the snowbirds show up. The worst seem to be the folks from Oregon.
What gets me is when I'm driving 75 in a 65 in the left lane....passing people...and some douchenozzle decides that I don't need to be able to see his headlights in my rear view mirror....or his hood.
Old September 6th, 2019, 03:56 AM

What’s the difference between a BMW & a porcupine?

On a porcupine the ***** is on the outside.
Old September 6th, 2019, 04:54 AM

People is dumb.
Old September 6th, 2019, 05:09 AM

One of my pet peeves, which was exemplified yet again just this morning on the way to work, is when someone pulls out in front of you and then thinks its your fault that you had to check up to keep from rear-ending them. Years ago, driving down a 2-lane road, some chick pulled out in front of me from a side road on the left. I'm driving my aunt-in-law's mid '80s Impala and checked up to keep from hitting her, but never removed my foot from the brake pedal. This a$$ clown that just pulled out in front of me is apparently upset that I'm about 3 feet off her rear bumper patiently waiting for her to pick up speed and resume normal traffic flow. So she brake checks ME, which I was ready for since my foot was still on the brake. Her car skids sideways (she apparently can't handle performing a brake check) and she lands in the ditch on the right side of the road. I toot my horn and give her a friendly 1-finger wave as I pass on by, admiring her headlights in my rear-view mirror bouncing up in the air as she bounces into the ditch.

Then, this morning, driving down a 4-lane divided road, doing my typical 10-over in a 45, another chick pulls out in front of me from a road on the right, which happens to be just before the right lane that I'm in expands into a 3rd lane on the right. As I begin to pull into the left lane to pass her, she pulls into the new third right lane to get out of my way. OK, Cool, I'm thinking. THEN, after I pass her she starts flashing her lights AT ME as if I did something wrong! I get caught at the next light and slow to a stop in the center lane, and as she pulls up behind me, still flashing her lights, I can see that she's flipping ME off! WTF??? So after other traffic stops at the light on both sides of us, when the light turns green I just stay there for about 10 seconds until she's about to lose her cool again. I then punch it and get in front of the traffic, never to see this crazy, self-righteous a$$ clown again.
Old September 6th, 2019, 05:44 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Guys, I am telling you to be careful out there. There are lots of maniacs out there that will go into road rage and you never know who they are. It has been years and years since I flipped somebody off. Road rage happens all the time.
Old September 6th, 2019, 05:57 AM

As an alumnus of a rival school in Indiana, I support this thread.
Old September 6th, 2019, 07:31 AM

As a alumni of Colorado School of Trades (gunsmithing) we fix road rage..... Tedd
Old September 6th, 2019, 08:26 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Guys, I am telling you to be careful out there. There are lots of maniacs out there that will go into road rage and you never know who they are.
Amen, y'all.

Drivers in every state have some bad habits. Some much worse than others. Drivers seem to pick up the quirks of those around them.

Texas drivers are generally good and have excellent lane observance. However, those entering a highway have right-of-way and they enter as if they don't know where the accelerator pedal is. When you see reptile-brain driving, you just have to take a deep breath breath, relax, and use that satisfying big-block torque to suddenly leave them behind when a safe opportunity arises.
Old September 6th, 2019, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
As an alumnus of a rival school in Indiana, I support this thread.

I will admit, watching basketball games from Mackey Arena is much easier than IU Assembly Hall. All the championship banners block the view. 😂
Old September 6th, 2019, 11:20 AM
Always room for one more

It looks like there is something written in the arrow, but it disappears when I try to enlarge the picture. Also looks like the car is towing one of those traffic arrows on a little trailer. Perhaps a traffic aid for Beverly Hills?
Old September 6th, 2019, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by VC455
However, those entering a highway have right-of-way and they enter as if they don't know where the accelerator pedal is.
Wait, what? Those entering a highway? As in those merging into traffic have the right of way? Am I reading that correctly? That can’t be correct. I know for a fact merging traffic must yield to traffic already on the highway in the two states I’ve been licensed in, and a quick Google search seems to indicate Texas is no different.
Old September 6th, 2019, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
I will admit, watching basketball games from Mackey Arena is much easier than IU Assembly Hall. All the championship banners block the view. 😂
Just a friendly reminder there are more “Black and Gold” Big Ten championship banners than any other school in the league.
Old September 6th, 2019, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by matt69olds

What a jerk.

What a surprise... NOT kinda goes together doesn't it?? but that would be stereotyping..
Old September 6th, 2019, 02:12 PM

you may find it hard to believe but there are people out there who actually try to run these cars off the road with their old pickup truck... no kidding..
Old September 6th, 2019, 02:57 PM
Gary

[QUOTE=Bubba68CS;1195651]Wait, what? Those entering a highway? As in those merging into traffic have the right of way?[QUOTE]

I looked up the relevant Texas statutes and found that Texas does follow the Uniform Traffic Code in that merging drivers must yield to those on a highway. You are right to point out that what many of us in Texas believe is not really the law. But people drive according to their beliefs and how others around them drive.

Big rigs sometimes have to do do the smoky braking thing when they are in traffic where they can't move over for the maroons without accelerator pedals.
Old September 6th, 2019, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by VC455
I looked up the relevant Texas statutes and found that Texas does follow the Uniform Traffic Code in that merging drivers must yield to those on a highway. You are right to point out that what many of us in Texas believe is not really the law. But people drive according to their beliefs and how others around them drive.

Big rigs sometimes have to do do the smoky braking thing when they are in traffic where they can't move over for the maroons without accelerator pedals.
Tell me about it - every interchange here in California is a parking lot because people do the same thing - they'll brake HARD to let in merging traffic.
Old September 6th, 2019, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
That's when you drive slower then pace him to stick him behind slow cars and **** him off.
Why would you deliberately be an a-hole to someone? Then you end up being no better than the other driver.

The rules are simple, folks:

- Keep right except to pass
- If you're merging onto a highway, you don't have the right-of-way
Old September 6th, 2019, 07:09 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Well. I only do it i give them room and they are still D**KS . I dont go out of my way to be one but when. Need be i will drive 4 cars ahead as in scope the movement of traffic and make sure he ends up behind a slow car. Years of driving highway to work tought me paying attention to traffic patterns pays off.
Old September 7th, 2019, 02:41 AM

I remember a George Carlin line that went something like this: "Ever notice that any driver going slower than you is an idiot, and any driver going faster than you is a maniac"? I think the biggest problem is slower drivers not keeping to the right so that faster drivers can pass. Next is nervous drivers hesitant to merge or make left turns, and last but not least is drivers who drive like they're in the Cannonball Run. If you're in that much of a hurry, you didn't leave early enough, because there will always be slow drivers, red lights, and traffic. Add cell phone users, women applying makeup, bad weather, nervous drivers in bad weather, it all adds to the mess.

My biggest pet peeve of all is when you're in a left turn lane waiting for the green arrow, and then the car in front takes their sweet time, rolling through ever so slowly so that only one more car gets through safely before the green arrow turns red or is gone, especially in NY where we have those evil red light cameras. Are people's brains so limited that they really can only think of themselves, or nothing at all, and not realize that there are other drivers trying to get somewhere too? On Long Island, something that's been going on for a while now is to come to a red light and just before stopping, they change lanes to get one or two cars ahead. What does that achieve? Now others that were slowing to a stop have to brake harder. It's cut-throat, ruthless, every man for himself on the roads. Those tough guys out there should be careful because you never know who might pull a gun, or spray mace at your face. I wouldn't be surprised if a woman does that and gets away with it because "she was afraid for her life". By the way, the middle finger is pretty childish.
Old September 7th, 2019, 04:23 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
It looks like there is something written in the arrow, but it disappears when I try to enlarge the picture.
Left Lane Drivers.Org

LEFT LANE DRIVERS of AMERICA

Old September 7th, 2019, 06:37 AM

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't see any "arrogance".

Left lane dawdlers are menace.

I see this as a reminder, or perhaps instruction to those ignorant of the primary left lane rules -

Keep Right Except to Pass.
Slower Traffic Keep Right

If the BMW approaches a dawdler and maintains a proper distance, there's no problem. (except that the dawdler may react childishly)

The Purdue plate is the real problem here. Let's hope the BMW doesn't have a Purdue rear plate. In Indiana you can get a college (& other orgs) themed license plate for the rear (no frt lic plate in IN)

I've noticed the d-bag potential goes way up if a car is adorned with a college plate - with the degree of d-baggery contingent on the size of the school. Purdue & IU are the largest.

(However, the college plated d-bags pale in comparison to the Indiana Colts plated aholes. They must go through some special selection process that only picks the most belligerent, clueless, and aggressive among us.)
Old September 7th, 2019, 10:47 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I also once had a car cut around me at a high rate of speed and wreck into about 4 cars. I stopped rolled my window and told the guy " you see now you aint going anywhere" He cut around me because I was pacing him and he got stuck behind a semi truck that was loaded so he came flying up on me doing about 90 in a 45. Only reason I was pacing him and putting him behind slower cars is because he was driving like an *** hat.
So you played a part in wrecking four cars (and their drivers' days, if not lives) just because you wanted to make one guy who was driving like an ***-hat pay.

Hmmm ...
Old September 7th, 2019, 10:50 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Indy_68_S

I see this as a reminder, or perhaps instruction to those ignorant of the primary left lane rules -

If the BMW approaches a dawdler and maintains a proper distance, there's no problem. (except that the dawdler may react childishly.
This.
Old September 7th, 2019, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Indy_68_S

If the BMW approaches a dawdler and maintains a proper distance, there's no problem. (except that the dawdler may react childishly)

The Purdue plate is the real problem here. Let's hope the BMW doesn't have a Purdue rear plate. In Indiana you can get a college (& other orgs) themed license plate for the rear (no frt lic plate in IN)

I've noticed the d-bag potential goes way up if a car is adorned with a college plate - with the degree of d-baggery contingent on the size of the school. Purdue & IU are the largest.

(However, the college plated d-bags pale in comparison to the Indiana Colts plated aholes. They must go through some special selection process that only picks the most belligerent, clueless, and aggressive among us.)

I sport a Rose-Hulman plate to go with my graduate degree from there. Rose is the smallest school in IN I think, so I hope I am safe from the d-bag.
Old September 7th, 2019, 05:31 PM

What do you do when you are going 75 mph in a 70 and some jerk roars up and flashes his lights ?
Old September 7th, 2019, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
What do you do when you are going 75 mph in a 70 and some jerk roars up and flashes his lights ?
You should move over and let me through
Old September 7th, 2019, 07:59 PM

I get out of the way when it is clear to do so. Not my job to police traffic...not my job to risk my car or my life to “teach someone a lesson”. I let them pass and move on with my life. The George Carlin quote is spot on. What I may find a perfectly reasonable pace others may find reckless. Similarly what I find reckless may be perfectly reasonable to someone else.
Old September 7th, 2019, 08:21 PM

Shoulda seen him coming 5-10 seconds ago & already moved if you had a chance. If no chance yet out of right lane, signal right & move as soon as you can so you don’t both move for the same opening on the right.

IMO in most cases if you get bore down on in left lane or passed on the right by a car going less than 100mph it is your fault probably 90% of the time.

Not tryin to be a dick.

Last edited by bccan; September 7th, 2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old September 7th, 2019, 09:22 PM

Old September 7th, 2019, 10:24 PM

Cool Arrogant BMW owner, Purdue alumni no less

twenty years or so I was driving in the fast lane on three and this guy in the middle lane went into my lane so I hit the dirt then went after him at high speed and I just got behind him then lights flashed on me so I pulled over and the CHP said "I pulled you over because I was after him on road rage" I said he put me in the dirt he said "I'll let you go in ten minutes after he gets down the road". He let me go with a warning.
Today I was walking to my car from Rite Aid and this would not slow down for me crossing to get into my car I said Fu-k and the store manager was behind me said They don't stop for people what will they do on the street..
Gerald
Old September 8th, 2019, 12:00 AM

In the left lane?

First off, it's the passing lane, not the "fast lane." You shouldn't be there unless you're passing traffic.

So let's assume you are and that guy (why is he a jerk?) flashes you—you move over to let him pass.
Old September 8th, 2019, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Diego
In the left lane? First off, it's the passing lane, not the "fast lane." You shouldn't be there unless you're passing traffic.
Yes,it is the "Fast Lane" on a two lane freeway. And I am passing 65-70 mph traffic in the right lane with the "cruise" on. I have even had it happen at 80 mph.

So let's assume you are and that guy (why is he a jerk?) flashes you—you move over to let him pass.
The state I live in just passed a law to make people in the left lane move over when traffic is behind. The question that hasn't been resolved according to the law is..... when you are not obliged to do so..........80, 90, 100,110 ? I do have a different perspective now, thank you.
Old September 8th, 2019, 03:10 AM

The state I live in just passed a law to make people in the left lane move over when traffic is behind. The question that hasn't been resolved according to the law is..... when you are not obliged to do so..........80, 90, 100,110 ? I do have a different perspective now, thank you.
The issue I have with laws like that is they do not specify speed. In all states it is illegal to drive over the speed limit, yet 99.99% of drivers do so. But being aggressive with someone that is in the left lane, speeding and passing other drivers....no. My take on that is chill out and wait. I'm not "policing" anyone, I'm driving in a safe manor. When there is enough space for me to move over I will, but I'm not forcing my way in to appease you, and I am not going to speed up either.

Too many drivers think these laws give them carte blanche to drive like total asshats, and that's a big issue with them. I believe that the intent is to keep slow movers (I.E. people driving under the speed limit) out of all but the right lane, and that makes sense. But thinking that they allow someone to just hammer down and push people out of the way? No, I don't believe for one second that that was the intent of these laws.
Old September 8th, 2019, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by svnt442
The issue I have with laws like that is they do not specify speed. In all states it is illegal to drive over the speed limit, yet 99.99% of drivers do so...

I believe that the intent is to keep slow movers (I.E. people driving under the speed limit) out of all but the right lane, and that makes sense. But thinking that they allow someone to just hammer down and push people out of the way? No, I don't believe for one second that that was the intent of these laws.
No, the intent is not to keep people that YOU think are driving too slow from putzing in the left lane...it’s to keep traffic flowing as it should for ALL drivers. Lane changes and passing on the right are very dangerous...likely more so than speeding by 10-15 mph. Squatting in the left lane is likely to induce road rage, which can get you or someone around you killed.

Just listen to the nhtsa:

“Here are some tips for encountering speeders on the road:
  • If you are in the left lane and someone wants to pass, move over and let them by.
  • Give speeding drivers plenty of space. Speeding drivers may lose control of their vehicle more easily.
  • Adjust your driving accordingly. Speeding is tied to aggressive driving. If a speeding driver is tailgating you or trying to engage you in risky driving, use judgment to safely steer your vehicle out of the way.
  • Call the police if you believe a driver is following you or harassing you.”

The holier than thou attitudes are exactly what these laws are designed to curb. Just get out of the way. If they are really going too fast, they’ll get pulled over eventually.
Old September 8th, 2019, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bubba68CS
Lane changes and passing on the right are very dangerous...
Passing on the right is a two lane roadway thing, and yes is illegal (except for specific scenarios) and dangerous. If you're on a multi-lane freeway, there is no problem with using lanes to the right of slower traffic to go past said vehicle(s).

Last edited by Fun71; September 8th, 2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old September 8th, 2019, 10:36 AM

A driving manual from the 60s said, as I recall, if you are on a 4 lane road, and someone is driving in the passing lane for no reason and will not move over, pass very carefully on the right because this person is a poor driver.

We really need to get back to a culture of not tolerating bad behavior. I kinda want to make a reverse printed "MOVE OVER ASSHAT!!" sign I can put in my windshield as I need to.

Quick Reply: Arrogant BMW owner, Purdue alumni no less