The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Anybody wanna help me move today?

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2011, 05:09 AM

Anybody wanna help me move today?

Well im moving my garage into a shop today, by myself. I tried dropping hints to my few friends. All i got was "let me know when your settled in and ill stop by" Yep good friends. :roll: Free beer and food for anyone that wants to stop by and help alittle. Maybe even some free Olds parts. Ive been busting my *** trying to get the shop ready for a week now. My neck and back are killing me this morning. I really could use a hand. It will be an easy move. All stuff is boxed and ready. Going on a big flatbed trailer. I live in Plano,il and the shop is in Big Rock. 8 miles away. I know this is a long shot but hey, if someone does show up it will be a bonus! :lol: Im gonna start at 9am

63o-885-11o1 Josh
Old November 18th, 2011, 05:43 AM

Sounds like my friends "O you meant this friday NO I have a big day of Fing off sorry" . sound close ? Sorry to far away to help good luck.
Old November 18th, 2011, 05:48 AM

Free beer and food? Sounds good to me!
Change your location from Plano, IL to Plano, TX and you got a deal!!

But seriously, use dollies, two wheelers and correct lifting methods to move stuff. Hope someone joins to help. I would if you were a bit closer.
Old November 18th, 2011, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
Sounds like my friends "O you meant this friday NO I have a big day of Fing off sorry" . sound close ? Sorry to far away to help good luck.

I didnt even bother asking this time. I just let them all know when i wen i was planing on moving and let them know i was doing it alone. Im tired of the lame excuses. Its just easier this way. lol
Old November 18th, 2011, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Free beer and food? Sounds good to me!
Change your location from Plano, IL to Plano, TX and you got a deal!!

But seriously, use dollies, two wheelers and correct lifting methods to move stuff. Hope someone joins to help. I would if you were a bit closer.

It wont be that bad. Mostly just picking up, a few steps, and setting on the trailer. I have a hoist for the engines and tool boxes so no matter what i can still Git R Done!
Old November 18th, 2011, 06:30 AM

I popped a disc that required surgery after 3 years of dealing with the pain. It happed from bad lifting methods.
Go slow when lefting and do not twist your body while holding a heavy item. Turn with your feet. Use your legs to do the lifting - keep back straight.
Have cold beer and hot pizza ready to enjoy when job is done!!
Old November 18th, 2011, 07:53 AM

When you ae moving, you have no friends. When they are moving, they remind you that you are their friend. When you buy a pickup truck, you become everyone's friend, lol.
Old November 18th, 2011, 08:11 AM

Josh,

i went through this a couple weeks ago, i spent the whole summer helping my friends move, and when it came time to move into a newer place, no help.

If i was closer i'd be down to help, how could you say no to beer and pizza!
Old November 18th, 2011, 08:42 AM

If I wasn't working I'd help you and then make you take me to that guys house to look at his parts
Old November 18th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Always room for one more

Friends, where would we be without them

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
When you ae moving, you have no friends. When they are moving, they remind you that you are their friend. When you buy a pickup truck, you become everyone's friend, lol.

Truer words were never spoken.

Mike
Old November 19th, 2011, 07:12 AM

Well i got 3 loads with the trailer done. I still have a few left with the Burban. No one showed up but the work still got done.

You guys are right about friends. I have always been a good friend and helped whenever anyone asked, and even went way out of my way to help them many times. But when you really need them, they blow you off or just give you excuses. Its cool. Im gonna remember that when one of them needs a place to work on their stuff. I have an excuse setup already. Sorry i have to sweep out the bays today. Cant put anything in the shop. LOL

Ill post some pics tonight or tomorrow.
Old November 19th, 2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by f-85
Well i got 3 loads with the trailer done. I still have a few left with the Burban. No one showed up but the work still got done.

You guys are right about friends. I have always been a good friend and helped whenever anyone asked, and even went way out of my way to help them many times. But when you really need them, they blow you off or just give you excuses. Its cool. Im gonna remember that when one of them needs a place to work on their stuff. I have an excuse setup already. Sorry i have to sweep out the bays today. Cant put anything in the shop. LOL

Ill post some pics tonight or tomorrow.
Hah, I'll have to remember that one.

Sadly I'll have to agree, the amount of buddies that I've helped change control arms, pull engines and grind rusty metal, and now for some reason they're all 'busy' now that i have a tough project of my own..

Definitely post some pictures when you're done!
Old November 20th, 2011, 04:42 AM

if i was closer i would loved to help. you would be a great friend to have. the day you were here i remember telling you about a 69 toronado that i was going to pick up sometime and you were wanting to go right then and help get it.
Old November 20th, 2011, 05:10 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Glad you got the move done (with your back intact), and sorry to hear about your "friends."

Had the same thing happen to me a few years back - I was in a new city and lost my apartment, which I had just gotten cleaned up and set up, after only one month, because, as I later learned, the landlord had to sell the building to buy more coke.

I found a better place only a block away, but I still had to move an entire apartment from one second floor to a different second floor in one night because of the constraints of the landlords and of my (new) job.

My new "friends" were all together at a dinner / party at an apartment exactly between my old and new place, and were all sitting out on the roof of the porch drinking wine, and they waved at me every time I went by, but never came down to give me even the slightest hand.

"Thanks, guys."

- Eric
Old November 20th, 2011, 05:53 AM

Hey guys

Thanks yep i got it amost a done. Maybe 1/2 a load in the burban left. But last night i realized that im gonna have to come up with another plan to store all my crap. I didnt realize how much crap i have. Ill post a few pics tonight.

Eric, and Eric

Thanks, i wish i had you guys here helping. Its always cool to hang with Olds guys and have Olds talk. (Jim) Red71 is coming over mon or tue with his trailer to help move the 65.
Old November 20th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I wish i would have seen this sooner i woud have came out and helped .
Old November 20th, 2011, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I wish i would have seen this sooner i woud have came out and helped .
Your always welcome to stop out. Ill be out there all the time. For the next month i will be there every day.
Old November 20th, 2011, 06:59 AM

You didn't find a nice o4b intake when you were packing did you?
Old November 20th, 2011, 07:23 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Seems you have some fairweather friends. Try spreading a rumour you won the lottery and see how many friends you have.

In my local little car club we have a mechanic, bodywork guy, carpenter, signmaker, electrician and plant operater.

Mechanical repairs, body & paint, house maintenance problems, want something fabricated, wiring issues or a garage built;
It will cost us materials + special equipment rental and £0 labor. And our time when someone else needs a hand.

That's what I call having friends.

Roger.
Old November 21st, 2011, 07:35 AM

You didn't find a nice o4b intake when you were packing did you?

No i did not sorry
Old November 21st, 2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by rustyroger
Seems you have some fairweather friends. Try spreading a rumour you won the lottery and see how many friends you have.

In my local little car club we have a mechanic, bodywork guy, carpenter, signmaker, electrician and plant operater.

Mechanical repairs, body & paint, house maintenance problems, want something fabricated, wiring issues or a garage built;
It will cost us materials + special equipment rental and £0 labor. And our time when someone else needs a hand.

That's what I call having friends.

Roger.

Man sounds like you got a good bunch of friends! I wish people were more like that here. But you dont see it that often.

My friends are all lazy and like to stay up all night and sleep all day. Takes alot to motivate them to do much anymore. I dont think they care to do much more then what they are doing.

Me, im a Motivated SOB. Ive been laid off for over 2-1/2 years. I still go to bed by 10-11pm every night. I get up between 5:30-6:30 every morning. Since i signed the lease here i have been working 12-15 hours a day trying to get it ready. I was here till 11:45 last night, and i was back here 8am this morning.
Old November 21st, 2011, 06:59 PM

ready for what ? ebay store would be easer or what was that store on 40 year old virgin ?
Old November 22nd, 2011, 07:34 AM

ready for what ? ebay store would be easer or what was that store on 40 year old virgin ?

Man, you just love to stir the pot. Im not sure what your digging for, But as i have said before "i have nothing to hide".

Its not a store. Its a personal shop for myself. So i can store my junk and work on junk. What i mean by "Ready" is clean, organize, build, hang, prep, move, unpack, and put away. Are you following me? Or do i need to brake it down more
Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:03 AM

Ok so here are some pics.

Here are the 2 buildings. One is the shop and the other is a small old 2 story leaning barn.

Heres the pics during the move.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/39/hawardsgaragemovingin09.jpg/]

Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:37 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I like it.

- Eric
Old November 22nd, 2011, 09:30 AM

Thanks Eric

Its gonna take some time to get it organized. But its worth the work.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by f-85
Man, you just love to stir the pot. Im not sure what your digging for, But as i have said before "i have nothing to hide".

Its not a store. Its a personal shop for myself. So i can store my junk and work on junk. What i mean by "Ready" is clean, organize, build, hang, prep, move, unpack, and put away. Are you following me? Or do i need to brake it down more

No, No ill will just thought you might be going into the lucrative world of
auto repair on classics or something on those line's . And if my guise was
right a ebay store would be easyer I have seen you have had some parts on there if you were closer the 455 complete engine you had on there a week or two ago would have been very tempting Thats all no more no less .

Last edited by firefrost gold; November 22nd, 2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 12:44 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

It is a really cool place. Was even bigger in person when I stopped out there.

GOOD LUCK!!!!
Old November 22nd, 2011, 06:25 PM
" Hoo yah "

Wow, I guess I haven't been here for awhile. Good stuff Josh!!! You should have called me up, I would off help you out bud! Congrats. Let me know if you need anything.

Kino
Old November 27th, 2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by 815Cutlass1972
Wow, I guess I haven't been here for awhile. Good stuff Josh!!! You should have called me up, I would off help you out bud! Congrats. Let me know if you need anything.

Kino

No worries Kino. Thanks anyway. I got it done. Feel free to stop out sometime.
Old November 28th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Loose Radical

I guess I got back to town in time for the FREE beer and burger Grand Opening ! Door prizes???
Old November 28th, 2011, 09:37 AM

Man, you filled that place up FAST! Have you found it to be too small yet? What's in the barn? A FIND maybe??

Originally Posted by slowolds
Door prizes???
Yep. Small worn engine parts for paperweights...
Old November 28th, 2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by slowolds
I guess I got back to town in time for the FREE beer and burger Grand Opening ! Door prizes???

That would be a small party.
Old November 28th, 2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Man, you filled that place up FAST! Have you found it to be too small yet? What's in the barn? A FIND maybe??

Yep. Small worn engine parts for paperweights...

Oh yeah. I have tons of sh*t. Right now it feels to small. But in a few more days i think ill finally get it under control. The goal is to have 3 bays. But with all the extra crap i buy it might only end up being 2. I guess it depends on wat kind of storage strategy i come up with.

The barn is empty. 2 story, small over head door. Big enough for a car or trailer in the lower. But its the leaning barn of Big Rock. So i dont trust it much. Im just gonna store BS stuff out there. Stuff that wont get hurt to bad if it ever falls.