The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Any Roadkill Fans here?

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2015, 01:19 PM

Any Roadkill Fans here?

For anyone that doesn't know, Roadkill is Hot Rod Magazine's online YouTube series that focuses on "automotive chaos theory". David Freiburger and Mike Finnegan take vehicles that look like they should never see the road and do the craziest things with them, and it's more fun to watch than anything I've ever seen.

Here's their Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...C0C916CECEA3BC

And their website: http://www.roadkill.com

I had the pleasure of meeting Freiburger at the 2014 Power Tour, and he signed the side of my wing! Hopefully Finnegan will do the other side one day.

Anyway, their newest episode is something that amazes you as much as it has me. It's a 1974 Mazda pickup, that was originally Rotary powered. However, the guy they bought it from swapped a 455 Olds into it! Not just any 455, but a full FWD Toronado drivetrain shoved in the bed of the truck. Crazy, right? This is probably my favorite car they've ever had aside from the Rotsun.

I was a little upset when Finnegan talked smack on the engine at the beginning of the episode...is what he said true, or does it only apply to their use in marine applications?
I'm sure the engine was just slapped together and just needs a good rebuild from someone who knows what they're doing. I certainly don't want to see them throw a BBC or LS in it...

This episode technically isn't out yet. Someone kindly leaked it because they host their videos in an open source video player online, so it wasn't too hard to find. For anyone that wants the link, here it is!
http://cfvod.kaltura.com/pd/p/196871...zt4/name/a.mp4

Enjoy! The episode should be posted to their Youtube later this month.

Last edited by Keegan; November 10th, 2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old November 10th, 2015, 04:08 PM
Senior Moment Member

RoadKill cranks. Those guys seem like a great pair to hang with and also seem very genuine. I saw the episode where they were racing Gas Monkey Garage. Both teams had to use a Hellcat motor to power their respective cars. Gas Monkey is a brand whereas RoadKill is a mindset. Someday I will meet these two knuckleheads. I hope! I bet they liked your car.
Old November 10th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I tried talking to them at great lakes dragway when they have the blasphemi there and i feel like they kind of snubbed the crowd a bit as they gathered around to talk . Granted its at the track and its hectic and it certainly was that night. I have been following their projects since i started reading hotrod over 10 years ago . Their mindset is what motivates me to think out the box and do things a little differently. They are doing stuff they way most guys would , on a budget with whatever you can get but getting creative.

Last edited by coppercutlass; November 10th, 2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old November 10th, 2015, 06:10 PM

I had my knee scoped about six months ago and was laid up on the couch for a solid week with no weight bearing on my knee. I watched every episode from the beginning. They stopped me from going insane because I don't sit still.
That being said we did the last three days of the Power Tour 2015 and ran across them several times on the road and at venues. I couldn't even get a wave out of them just acted like they were above us. It may have been like the drag strip scenario at the venues but how hard is it to wave at somebody going down the road especially when three little boys are waving at you out the window.
Old November 11th, 2015, 09:18 AM

I've been a fan of Roadkill from the beginning, I like most of Freiburger's stuff since he rebooted Hot Rod magazine years ago. I haven't seen the episode but will definitely check it out. Olds engines have never been on their agenda so I'm not surprised their knowledge base is thin...
Old November 11th, 2015, 01:02 PM

Not to shabby for a G head Olds.
I hope they leave it in and work on it a bit.
I will be completely depressed if they throw an LS or BBC in it...and I like the show.

-Pete
Old November 11th, 2015, 01:35 PM

I am a Roadkill fan... some of the new stuff seems a bit more forced, not as creative and commercialized, but that's to be expected to some extent. I tried to watch Hot Rod Garage and just felt like I was watching a continuous commercial...
Old November 11th, 2015, 09:18 PM
Senior Moment Member

A DVR is the only way to watch anything nowadays. Tooooo many commercials.
Old November 13th, 2015, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rallye469
Not to shabby for a G head Olds.
I hope they leave it in and work on it a bit.
I will be completely depressed if they throw an LS or BBC in it...and I like the show.

-Pete
Is it typical for these engines to make such little power? I was kinda surprised...
Old November 14th, 2015, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Keegan
Is it typical for these engines to make such little power? I was kinda surprised...

Considering the sad state of the basic engine and the half-*** tuning they did I was surprised they got the numbers they did. The thing that makes Roadkill fun is that they usually slap stuff together cheap and ugly and are mostly surprised when it works. Unfortunately the same thing kind of pisses you off when you know what could happen with a little more thought or work. It would be great if they kept that drivetrain and got serious with it, I will be pleasantly surprised if they don't automatically default to Chevy. Not holding my breath though,,,,