Delmont frame or parts car or new car?

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2012, 06:58 AM

Delmont frame or parts car or new car?

I have a 1968 Delmont 88 convertible with a badly rusted frame and floor panels. I am in need of a compatible frame, parts car, or perhaps I should consider using this vehicle as a source of parts for a better vehicle.
Might there be suggestions on the best route to go? I don't think the vehicle will ever achieve show-car quality, however it has been in our family for generations and has just been passed on to me, and I thought I would see what could be done to keep it alive. It is presently white but was originally Jade Gold, and I would prefer to return it to the original colour.
Old November 9th, 2012, 07:55 AM

Unless the sentimental value is enormous, and you have the money, your decision will be controlled largely by parts availability. I'd suggest that you start watching ebay and craigslist, etc. for parts. The B bodies haven't enjoyed the popularity nor restoration parts availability of the A bodies. That may keep prices low, but availability of many parts will be poor. Check out the desert southwest for rust free sheetmetal, frame, etc.
Old November 9th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
but availability of many parts will be poor.
I think the OP would be thrilled if the availability of parts was only "poor". The reality is they are nearly nonexistent. You will be thousands of dollars ahead to buy a solid desert car and have it shipped to you. Yes, it's a large chunk of change up front, but you will spend many, many times that in collecting replacement parts, then having them welded in properly.

Do NOT ask me how I know this...
Old January 1st, 2013, 07:45 PM

Mike, where is your location?
Old January 1st, 2013, 08:21 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Howard's Garage out in Big Rock IL has a few nice rolling chassis ready to go. Try giving them a call. 630 885 1101

I was just out there last week picking up a power steering pump and some misc. accessory parts.