Removing trailing edge hood trim 74 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2007, 06:34 PM
RWB

Removing trailing edge hood trim 74 Cutlass

That's basically it. How do you remove the stainless trim at the trailing edge of the hood? Admittedly I didn't run a mirror along the underside edge to take a full look. I'm betting there are little bumps in the hood that the underside edge snaps onto. I'm pretty confident I can remove every other piece of trim on this car without a problem but this one has me scratching my head. This is real stainless, not the snap on plastic they used in '76.

I have other questions but to keep things pure I'll use separate threads.
Thanks ahead of time.
Old December 8th, 2007, 06:55 PM
same but different

Thats a good question. My 71 has a similar trim and don't think I can help you. I could'nt remove it and still hav'nt figured it out....well I "could" take it off but I would mangle it. And of course it would never look the same....

I am going to assume your doing a repaint/restore. I can only suggest to cover the trim in at least a couple of layers of tape to protect it. I like the blue tape...it always releases for me unlike conventional masking tape.
Old December 8th, 2007, 07:31 PM
RWB

TITLE! why do I need a title?

Anyway thanks for the reply but I'm betting it's a snap fit, the business side obviously being the underside. I can't see them (GM) doing a pressure fit similar to say the older door edge trims because installation would breach the paint coating along that edge and cause premature rust. I should just go out and look at it with a mirror but it's cold, dark, and scary outside.
Old December 8th, 2007, 07:43 PM
RWB

Wait a minute Don! Your trim is pushed on,(!)..... on a 71.....I mean, it's real narrow right? If it's anything like a 70 Skylark I think it is push on. The reason that your style wouldn't cause to much of a problem scraping the paint off as it was installed is because the trim has rolled lips.
Mine is rolled only at the front, it's about 3/4" wide (yours is about 1/4" I'm guessing), and makes a lot of flat contact with the sheet metal of the underside of the hood. Don't take yours off unless you have to but I think all you need is a rubber mallet to put it back on.
-Bob
Old December 10th, 2007, 04:58 AM
Jim's rare 80

It can be hammered off using a small piece of hardwood and a small hammer. Just patience, not brute force, will get it off. Start at one side UNDERNEATH the hood, and work your way to the other side. Best done with the hood off. It has the rolled edges. It Will scratch the paint coming off, but won't going on. That's how I did my 73, and I believe they are the same. Take your time, and let us know how it goes.