Repaint '71 Cutlass Convt.

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2007, 12:07 AM

Repaint '71 Cutlass Convt.

I have a '71 Cutlass Convertible that I am in the process of restoring. I actually just started, but I have a question regarding repainting the car. Will it bring down the overall value of the car if I repaint it. Its originally a gold color. I don't go for the outlandish colors, but I'd like to paint it silver or red. What do you guys think? Are there certain things that should remain original?
Old December 10th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Past Administrator

I have seen in books that value cars (any type) that place higher value on original condition when it is in very good including the paint OR are very well done restoration including paint. So I would think the question would be, if the original paint is in very good condition but you want it to shine like new, are you willing to spend the money on a very good one (not an Earl Shibes or MAACO)? We couldn't even begin to really give you accurate advice over the internet because it is so hard to value paint quality and color by a picture. Your best bet would be to have some people that know cars (maybe members of a car club) to look at it in person, and if they recommend re-paint, then a shop with a good reputation.
Old December 10th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Southern_Hospitality
I have a '71 Cutlass Convertible that I am in the process of restoring. I actually just started, but I have a question regarding repainting the car. Will it bring down the overall value of the car if I repaint it. Its originally a gold color. I don't go for the outlandish colors, but I'd like to paint it silver or red. What do you guys think? Are there certain things that should remain original?
Unless you're repainting the car with the intent to immediately sell it, then my response is it's your car, do what you want. Most judged shows will not deduct points for a repaint in a different color that was factory available that year.
Old December 10th, 2007, 03:19 PM

If you repaint it a different color be mindful of the prep work before painting. Of course, you will want to prep the car properly before any paint job but if it is painted a different color then you might have the orignial color peeking through in areas like the door jambs and trunk and hood hinges if it isn't painted properly. Definitely get it painted by someone other than Macco or Earl Shibe.
Old December 10th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by Olds64
you might have the orignial color peeking through in areas like the door jambs and trunk and hood hinges if it isn't painted properly. Definitely get it painted by someone other than Macco or Earl Shibe.
Or me.....
45 bucks, a gallon of acetone and a gallon of smoke gray Rust Oleum= not professional