Squirrely Rear End

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2010 | 04:49 PM
Registered Abuser

Squirrely Rear End

Recently, my 66 Delta 88 started to handle weird. If I move the wheel back and forth at highway speeds, the back end starts to sway.

This is very disconcerting and I have parked it. My first thought is my front end has finally given up and is time to replace the ancient linkage. The ball joints and bushings are recent, I just didn't have the dough to to the linkage.

So, does a worn front end translate into a funky feeling rear end? Everything looks fine in the back. I would replace the bushings back there but I haven't seen any after market replacements for my application.

One way or another, I gots me a winter project.
Old November 12th, 2010 | 05:12 PM
bil

Did it come on sudden,or gradual? May sound stupid,but did you check the lug nuts? I had a set loosen up (OK<I didn't tighten them) and after a while it got squirelly (SP)
Bad shocks in the rear will give it a 'boat' feel. ---bil
Old November 12th, 2010 | 05:18 PM
Registered Abuser

Originally Posted by bil
Did it come on sudden,or gradual? May sound stupid,but did you check the lug nuts? I had a set loosen up (OK<I didn't tighten them) and after a while it got squirelly (SP)
Bad shocks in the rear will give it a 'boat' feel. ---bil
Sudden. I could drive that at 70 MPH and it was sure footed and tracked nice. The next week I was driving to the next town over and I thought it was the wind, except it was a calm day. It feels like the rear end isn't attached properly.

The rear shocks don't seem to bounce. They are a few years old, but there is only about 4000 miles on them.

I'm going out right now to re-torque my lug nuts.
Old November 12th, 2010 | 05:33 PM

Check air pressure in tires, one or both tires will create this feeling if they are low on air.
Old November 12th, 2010 | 05:37 PM
Registered Abuser

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Check air pressure in tires, one or both tires will create this feeling if they are low on air.
Tires are good, so are the lug nuts.

I've never really thought of this before, but I gave the car a push down and it gave fairly easily, but the shock caught it on the way back up.

Now I'm just looking for easily repairable problems.
Old November 13th, 2010 | 02:25 AM

I would suggest it is the rear control arm bushings...my wife's '68 442 would steer from the back on an uneven road...put in a set of poly bushings and the feeling went away The first 150,000 miles are truly rough on the bushings...
Old November 13th, 2010 | 02:52 AM

Pushing it from side to side should tell you a lot.
Jack it up, put stands under the frame and let the rear hang, again push from side to side with someone checking each bushing should pinpoint the culprit[s].
Replace them all!
As for as I know, all bushings are alike, but I'm only familiar with A-G bodies.
Old November 13th, 2010 | 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
I would suggest it is the rear control arm bushings...my wife's '68 442 would steer from the back on an uneven road...put in a set of poly bushings and the feeling went away The first 150,000 miles are truly rough on the bushings...

Same here!!!!!
Old November 13th, 2010 | 07:51 PM
Registered Abuser

Okay, so I've found a couple of options for the rear end bushings.

I was leafing through the service manual and it says that the bushings in the differential carrier are replaceable but the bushings in the suspension arms can only be serviced by replacing the complete arms.

I'm guessing that there is a way to do it?
Old November 14th, 2010 | 06:27 AM

It is possible one of the bushings finally tore, causing the rear sway.
Check the wheels, too - make sure no welds have broke. I have seen this happen to one member here...

The bushings are replacable but have to be pressed out of the control arms.
Many have burned out the rubber with a torch and bent in the outer shells to remove them. Installing them will require pressing. A local shop may be able to press them all in for an hour of labor. Do not use a hammer.
Rockauto may have Moog replacements - the best stock replacements available.
Old November 16th, 2010 | 03:11 AM

The bushings in the control arms are sevicable same as the differential ones; eight in a set...