Steering column / rag joint question

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2017, 11:19 AM

Question Steering column / rag joint question

OK a while back with my header install I had to remove the column ( 66 Cutlass non collapsable column key in dash ) from the steering box at the rag joint. The shaft slid up and now I have a "gap" at the steering wheel and bowl in the car. It also looks like the rag joint is stretched a bit. how do I correct this? It looks like it needs to be slid back or seated back towards the rag joint taking the stretch out of it and closing the gap in the car?
Thanks !
Old October 13th, 2017, 12:59 PM

I know that center shaft can move as it did on your column. I'd try removing the horn button and tapping on the center shaft to see if you can drive it back down the amount you need.
Old October 14th, 2017, 06:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

When the shaft slid up in the steering column, the turn signal cancel cam popped up out of the actual turn signal switch. You must remove the steering wheel, remove the cancel cam, and reposition the center shaft first. Install the cancel cam correctly, then reassemble. DO NOT drive the car this way, as it will damage parts in the column (like the unobtanium turn signal switch).
Old October 14th, 2017, 05:21 PM

Smile

Upon further investigation.... The rag joint vs shaft is in upside down the large alignment pin is resting on the flange preventing it from being closer to the steering box, it also explains why I can feel the road sometimes in the wheel. Luckily there is zero damage inside the column. I must have flipped the shaft alignment in the dozen times I took it apart to clearance the headers. Easy fix, just didn't catch it when assembled. Thanks all