Vinyl Top Removal

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2008, 02:56 PM

Vinyl Top Removal

Anyone remove vinyl top on their oldsmobile? Whats the cost like having it removed and body work that it may need for a hardtop look (doesnt need to be painted at the moment)?
Old May 12th, 2008, 04:17 PM

You should be able to remove the vinly top by yourself. I took mine off of my 72' and it only took me about 3 hours or so to get the top off and all of the glue removed.

What I did was just remove the trim around the windows and drip edge, then cut it into thirds with my razor knife (careful not to go too deep and score the metal) and started tugging. Depending on how well the glue is adhered you may need a putty knife or scraper to help things along.

Use caution around the windshield trim clips because you don't want to go prying on those clips and accidentally crack the windshield. If you're not comfortable pulling off the window trim, then just use your knife and cut around it. You can let your body shop get the rest off when they paint it.

I would say that if the top is cracked or anything you should expect some rust. Especially around the rear windshield. I had to replace the filler panel between the trunk and rear windshield on my 72'.

Once you get the top off you can either sand the glue off using a screen based sand paper or get some glue solvent like acetone and a scraper and go to town. (Keep your work area well ventilated of course.) If you do decide to try sanding, wear a mask and just try to attack the glue. You don't want to go through the paint and embed the glue into the metal below. Your paint shop probably won't be too happy about that.