Which Undercoating?

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2014, 11:57 AM

Which Undercoating?

I am looking for a spray on undercoat for my rear wheel wells. I am trying to duplicate the sort of textured pebbley look of the OEM undercoating. I have tried Rustoleum Undercoat, and Truck Bed Liner and both of them come out pretty flat. Recommendations?
Old December 9th, 2014, 07:24 AM

Jeez, nobody undercoats their wheel wells?
Old December 9th, 2014, 08:42 AM

I like the Permatex undercoating, but it doesn't dry for a long time and collects dirt.
Old December 9th, 2014, 08:45 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Rhino Liner? shouldn't cost too much just to do 2 wells?
Old December 9th, 2014, 10:35 AM

Just use rubberized undercoat. If you want it a different shade of black just paint it. We did that on a 62 Dynamic 88 and it looked great and held up just fine.
Old December 9th, 2014, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Just use rubberized undercoat. If you want it a different shade of black just paint it. We did that on a 62 Dynamic 88 and it looked great and held up just fine.
I am looking for something that has some large texture to it. The rubberized stuff I have tried ends up pretty flat.
Old December 9th, 2014, 01:12 PM

I used Eastwood's undercoating and was very happy but its flat. I don't think it is what you are looking for.
Old December 9th, 2014, 01:15 PM

I am using lots of Eastwood products, with nice results. I am trying to hide a couple of weld touch ups and need the texture to cover them up.
Old December 9th, 2014, 01:19 PM

I know this will sound retarded.......... but would this work? They sell spray on wall texture, like for repairing a patch in sheetrock. That stuff has the look I want. If I sprayed some of that in there, then sprayed over that with the rubberized coating, would that work? Be durable? Your thoughts (no bashing please)
Old December 9th, 2014, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by RandyS
I am using lots of Eastwood products, with nice results. I am trying to hide a couple of weld touch ups and need the texture to cover them up.
Randy
Eastwood's undercoating definitely is not what you are looking for that. I was hoping it would have hid my patches better but overall I am happy with it.
Old December 9th, 2014, 02:05 PM

Search "sprayable seam sealer"

Wurth, 3M, Lord Fusor & I think SEM sell a heavy bodied sealer that sprays out of a pressurized tube appx the size of caulk but a different animal. Can be used w/ various tips for seam sealing or spray tips for undercoating. There is adjustability of spray pattern & texture but we usually end up sanding it to nail the texture. Sticking point is the expense of gun, which they have given us in the past w/ purchasing a case of sealer.

It sprays a general texture like you would find underneath European cars which I think might be heavier than you want but they lay it pretty heavy w/ fair amount of overlap/lingering over areas.

P.S. I just checked ebay & there are Lord Fusor guns for around $150. I haven't used that brand gun but might ASSume it similar in capability to the Wurth & 3M guns we have @ shop.

Last edited by bccan; December 9th, 2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old December 9th, 2014, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by bccan
Search "sprayable seam sealer"

Wurth, 3M, Lord Fusor & I think SEM sell a heavy bodied sealer that sprays out of a pressurized tube appx the size of caulk but a different animal. Can be used w/ various tips for seam sealing or spray tips for undercoating. There is adjustability of spray pattern & texture but we usually end up sanding it to nail the texture. Sticking point is the expense of gun, which they have given us in the past w/ purchasing a case of sealer.

It sprays a general texture like you would find underneath European cars which I think might be heavier than you want but they lay it pretty heavy w/ fair amount of overlap/lingering over areas.

P.S. I just checked ebay & there are Lord Fusor guns for around $150. I haven't used that brand gun but might ASSume it similar in capability to the Wurth & 3M guns we have @ shop.

Thanks for the info. Looks like the Sprayable Seam Sealer will work. Just wish the gun wasn't so expensive.
Old December 9th, 2014, 02:22 PM

Will this work in theory?

Originally Posted by RandyS
I know this will sound retarded.......... but would this work? They sell spray on wall texture, like for repairing a patch in sheetrock. That stuff has the look I want. If I sprayed some of that in there, then sprayed over that with the rubberized coating, would that work? Be durable? Your thoughts (no bashing please)
Old December 9th, 2014, 07:06 PM

body schutz?

Wouldnt body schutz work? I think that is the texture and thickness your looking for spray guns run anywhere from less than 20 bucks to nearly a hundred for a genuine 3m gun they make several types
Old December 9th, 2014, 07:15 PM

Not sure because never tried wall texture but if it didn't it would be hell to fix. Try it on a scrap surface and give it hell. If it holds up, MAYBE. Good luck

Last edited by Gary M; December 9th, 2014 at 07:17 PM. Reason: clarification
Old December 10th, 2014, 03:19 AM

Try gravel guard. People spray it on their rocker panels to prevent stone chips. Chequenman used the Wurth system on his Starfire and it looks really great, but expensive...
Old December 10th, 2014, 06:30 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
Try gravel guard. People spray it on their rocker panels to prevent stone chips. Chequenman used the Wurth system on his Starfire and it looks really great, but expensive...
X2, I use it on all my wheel wells and underbody and it gives you that textured look like original undercoating....
Old December 10th, 2014, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Wouldnt body schutz work? I think that is the texture and thickness your looking for spray guns run anywhere from less than 20 bucks to nearly a hundred for a genuine 3m gun they make several types
I had not heard of Body Schutz before, but after doing some 'googling', I am going to give it a try. Thanks!
Old December 10th, 2014, 08:42 AM

Body Schutz

doneunder5.jpg

doneunder4.jpg
Old December 10th, 2014, 11:59 AM

That's me! Thanks TK.
Old December 10th, 2014, 01:15 PM

Most welcome...

Randy, most welcome..

it does come in several types,colours and densities...

I have seen the gun as low as 12-13 bucks...
Old December 28th, 2014, 08:57 AM

I had the same problem with not being able to get enough texture to match the fatory look. What I did was sprayed on the undercoat and waited for it to get tacky. Then I worked it with a stiff wire brush until I got the texture to what I wanted. Let it dry and spray it agian. Im happy with how mine turned out.