Tilt steering adapted into '69 to '72 A-body -Done!

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2012, 06:49 PM

Tilt steering adapted into '69 to '72 A-body -Done!

After a minor modification to the shift lever arm at the base of the column, which in turn attaches to the shifting rod going to the transmission, a 1975 Cutlass tilt steering column was adapted to fit in my 1972 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser. I was not able to find anything on the web to affirm or refute this project was possible to do with limited tools and resources, so I took the plunge! The arm had to be lengthened to increase the arc of the swing to allow all 4 forward gear positions in the retrofitted overdrive automatic. The arm was lengthened about 1/2 an inch overall. The column itself was in poor shape when I got it, the lock rod for the steering wheel seized, requiring removing the column bowl (or collar) and mangling that wildly shaped spring inside the unit. With pictures I was able to bend it back to workable condition finally. This swap may be a viable option for those looking for tilt steering but without the cost of a '69 to '72 unit. [/IMG]
Old April 1st, 2012, 07:07 PM

It looks nice! Congrats on taking on the challange

John
Old April 1st, 2012, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
It looks nice! Congrats on taking on the challange

John
Thanks John, now that I have this 'Photobucket' and picture thing (hopefully) working properly, I look forward to posting more things that may be of use and interest to the forum. Howie.
Old April 1st, 2012, 07:24 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Bravo!

- Eric
Old April 1st, 2012, 07:28 PM
car guy

Great job. Thanks for sharing.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Great job. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Eric and Richard. As promised, and as long as the computer behaves, more pictures to come of the adventure!
Old April 2nd, 2012, 05:47 PM
Registered Luser

Cool Howie...we are looking to change the Vista to tilt, but also floor shift...I wonder if same can be done with that set up? We actually got a center console and floor shifter out of a '76 Buick Century, that we would like to use. Getting a shift cable shouldn't be a problem I hope, but the thing is, the buick shifted on the floor but the selector was up in the speedo, same as the Vista...I would like to keep the selector as is, and switch the column out to a tilt-floor shift unit...the Buick shifter and console is much more attractive IMO...it has a chromed-cast plate on the console that says BUICK. We want to fill that and have VISTA CRUISER laser etched in then re-chrome....
Old April 2nd, 2012, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Cool Howie...we are looking to change the Vista to tilt, but also floor shift...I wonder if same can be done with that set up? We actually got a center console and floor shifter out of a '76 Buick Century, that we would like to use. Getting a shift cable shouldn't be a problem I hope, but the thing is, the buick shifted on the floor but the selector was up in the speedo, same as the Vista...I would like to keep the selector as is, and switch the column out to a tilt-floor shift unit...the Buick shifter and console is much more attractive IMO...it has a chromed-cast plate on the console that says BUICK. We want to fill that and have VISTA CRUISER laser etched in then re-chrome....
Hi Eric, thanks for the words. I believe it would be possible too, but the requirement would be to modify the detent for 'Park' in the column, or, better still, get a column from a floor shift 73-77 Cutlass or related such as Chevelle. The rod I was talking about on mine becomes the mechanism to a rod to lock the floor shift - quite easily defeated by a skinny guy squeezing under the car and undoing a clip. If not in 'Park', and on a hill... But seriously the whole mechanism is working in reverse for a floor shift car. The cable from the shifter went to the the transmission lever, from the transmission lever came the rod, from there, the pivot, then up the vertical rod that connected to the shifter arm at the base of the column, the shifter arm rotated the shifter tube and collar which in turn moved the pointer! Note the top of the column where a shift lever would normally be on a column shift car, the collar 'magically' rotates when you shift the floor shift. Remove the key from the ignition in 'Park' and now the collar won't turn. Voila! The floor shifter is now locked! Sorry for being long-winded, but look at a picture in the manual, it will be self explanatory. I do like your idea for the floor shift and the design.