strange pulsing vibration when driving on the highway

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2012, 03:50 PM

strange pulsing vibration when driving on the highway

What could it be? It vibrates every other second in a steady rythm. Drive shaft? Warped crank pulley? Because my crank pulley is warped.
Old August 17th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Tire balance.
Old August 17th, 2012, 04:06 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Tire balance.
Good call! I forgot all about that. I changed two tires on mine manually because I didn't have the money to take it to the shop to have them changed. SO naturally I couldn't balence them ether. Hey thanks
Old August 17th, 2012, 08:31 PM

It might not even be a balance issue. They could be out of round, worn unevenly, have a damage belt or tread, or who knows what.

What do you mean when you say you "changed" the tires. You mean you rotated them to different positions on the car? Or did you actually remove the old rubber from the rims and put new ones on? (I'm impressed if you did that!)

Whatever it is, the fact that this problem arose just after you did this is too much of coincidence. The first thing I would try is putting things back they way they were and see if that doesn't eliminate the problem.
Old August 17th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

Originally Posted by jaunty75
It might not even be a balance issue. They could be out of round, worn unevenly, have a damage belt or tread, or who knows what.

What do you mean when you say you "changed" the tires. You mean you rotated them to different positions on the car? Or did you actually remove the old rubber from the rims and put new ones on? (I'm impressed if you did that!)

Whatever it is, the fact that this problem arose just after you did this is too much of coincidence. The first thing I would try is putting things back they way they were and see if that doesn't eliminate the problem.
My buddy came to the shop about 2 weeks ago around 11pm and we don't have a tire machine so we just layed the tire on the ground and ran it over with another car and popped it off the rim, getting it to seal back up was a bit tricky but all in all went well.
Old August 17th, 2012, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by bdub217
My buddy came to the shop about 2 weeks ago around 11pm and we don't have a tire machine so we just layed the tire on the ground and ran it over with another car and popped it off the rim, getting it to seal back up was a bit tricky but all in all went well.
I'm sorry, but the first words to pop into my mind were "oh my god!"

Don't you realize that what you did to get the tires off the rims might very well have been what damaged them? They're not designed to take the weight of a car on their sidewalls.

Forget what I said above about putting things back the way they were if doing so means you're going to run over them again with a car. I think it's a virtual certainty that you damaged one or more tires, and the vibration/pulsing is telling you that they're now dangerous to drive on.

Did you ever see the Red Green Show on PBS? I hope you took a video of how you did this tire job because you should send it in to that show as it would fit in very well. In fact, to make it perfect you would have needed to find a way to work in a little duct tape. Did you use duct tape at all at some point? Maybe to patch a leak? I hope so!
Old August 17th, 2012, 11:58 PM

Yeah I changed the rubber manually. Here at home. Its not that hard once you do it a couple times. I had some old alero rims with good tires laying around from one we junked, and the outer layer of rubber shredded itsself on the cutlass's front tire . And I don't have a job at the moment so it was ether cigaretts or have a shop change it lol so I just did it manually with two flat tip pry bars.
Old August 18th, 2012, 12:00 AM

I'm sorry, but the first words to pop into my mind were "oh my god!"

Don't you realize that what you did to get the tires off the rims might very well have been what damaged them? They're not designed to take the weight of a car on their sidewalls.

Forget what I said above about putting things back the way they were if doing so means you're going to run over them again with a car. I think it's a virtual certainty that you damaged one or more tires, and the vibration/pulsing is telling you that they're now dangerous to drive on.

Did you ever see the Red Green Show on PBS? I hope you took a video of how you did this tire job because you should send it in to that show as it would fit in very well. In fact, to make it perfect you would have needed to find a way to work in a little duct tape. Did you use duct tape at all at some point? Maybe to patch a leak? I hope so!
Man you learn alot from old timers. And I know how to inspect tires for a bad belt..ect. People have been doing it for years that way. It doesn't hurt them. I have probably done about 25 of them manually in my time. Never had problems from it.
Old August 18th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Kickin' It Oldschool

We didn't hurt the rubber, we let the air out first, then drove up on it with the car and bounced on it to get the seal to pop. then we pried it off the rim and slapped the new one on BY HAND. (no pun intended) And why does it matter if we hurt an already screwed up tire??? The tire we put on was new....
Old August 18th, 2012, 04:09 PM

Exactly
Old August 18th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Administrator

LOL, go get your tires balanced! Nothing like old fashioned back yard mechanics! I agree it does not matter about the old tire.
Old August 18th, 2012, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
LOL, go get your tires balanced! Nothing like old fashioned back yard mechanics! I agree it does not matter about the old tire.
lol ok will do!