Sterring Box

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2011, 08:59 AM

Sterring Box

I have to replace my old beat down and leaking box and was wondering if I should get a nice AGR http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AGR-492117/ or replace with a stock unit. Does the upgrade increase the performance at all? Thanks in advance.
Old March 27th, 2011, 09:30 AM

I don't know if it will increase the performance but I was pleasently surprised how much better I liked the steering in my 66 when I did the swap to a 12/1 box, the original was 24/1. I like it a lot.
Old March 27th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Registered

I have one and it makes all the difference in the world, no more wandering and you can feel the road.
I have an AGR variable ratio gear in my Vista and an original type quick ratio in my GTO.
The Vista has a much firmer steering like a newer car and turns with way less input. The GTO still has that light feel but will turn really fast, I had to get used to it, the first time I had it out for a test drive I changed lanes on the freeway and almost went right off the road.
If you get that AGR box remember to get the Royal Purple synthetic fluid too, have to use synthetic fluid for the warranty, Summit doesn't let you know and the stuff is hard to find. I live close by so after they shipped the box to me for ten bucks I had to spend more than that to drive out there and pick up some fluid.
Old March 27th, 2011, 09:54 AM

Thank you both for the info and now I know I need to save a little more cash. Putting the box in at the same time I switch out the sway bar, end links, center link and rod ends. FUN FUN FUN.
Old March 27th, 2011, 10:21 AM

Get the pitman off with the box on the car. It makes life A LOT simpler.
Old March 27th, 2011, 10:43 AM

I heard that could be a pain from the neighbor, think I should get a new pitman since Im changing everything. Im leaning that way.
Old March 27th, 2011, 11:01 AM

Urethane sway bar bushings and links make a lot of difference, too!
Did an old Suburban, and my kids noticed it! No harshness at all!
Old March 27th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Registered

I have one and it makes all the differance in the world, no more wandering and you can feel the road.
I have an AGR variable ratio gear in my Vista and an original type quick ratio in my GTO. Those are new boxes, not rebuilt, and they have different valving to make the steering more firm.
The Vista has a much firmer steering like a newer car and turns with way less input. The GTO still has that light feel but will turn really fast, I had to get used to it, the first time I had it out for a test drive I changed lanes on the freeway and almost went right off the road.
If you get that AGR box remember to get the Royal Purple synthetic fluid too, have to use synthetic fluid for the warranty, Summit doesn't let you know and the stuff is hard to find. I live close by so after they shipped the box to me for ten bucks I had to spend more than that to drive out there and pick up some fluid.
Old March 27th, 2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by sgibbisdrunk
I heard that could be a pain from the neighbor, think I should get a new pitman since Im changing everything. Im leaning that way.
There is no need to replace the pitman arm unless it's broken. Just get a puller (you can usually get a rental/loaner from the local parts store), a BFH and some heat (propane torch). It really isn't that hard. Just remember to only heat up the outside of the arm and not the steering shaft. Only heating one side will help as well.

I did mine a few months ago and didn't even need the heat. Also make sure not to try and force it off in one pull. All that will happen is you will end up frustrated with a broken puller.
Old March 27th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Old(s) Fart

Never tried the AGR box, but I've had good luck with Power Steering Services. Chip can convert any stock box to quick ratio as part of the rebuild.

http://www.powersteering.com/products/
Old March 27th, 2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Never tried the AGR box, but I've had good luck with Power Steering Services. Chip can convert any stock box to quick ratio as part of the rebuild.

http://www.powersteering.com/products/
That's how I got my quick ratio box. I sent my original box and pump to Chip. He said the old pumps needed to be changed to match the box ( I don't understand/know about that), but I sent them both, and bought 2 new hoses, really happy with the results.
Mike
Old April 24th, 2011, 07:42 AM

I pulled a box off a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee has a 12:71 gear ratio, 20-26 in-lb effort and a 87 degree travel figure-great for a 64-67 A body. $40.00 dollars, 79-84 Chevy p/u truck rag joint $79.00, The list of other parts needed-seat inserts, fittings, O-rings etc you can get from Lee Engineering or look up online-google steering box upgrade....
Old April 24th, 2011, 08:45 AM

Power Steering Services X2, Chip does great work!