Starfire adjustable sterring column.

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2011, 10:48 AM

Starfire adjustable sterring column.

My 1963 Starfire has a non-adjustable steering column. I would like an adustable one but the only ones I can find are coulmn shifts on 88's. Any body know if that would work with the parts from my old one to change it to a floor shift column? Not something I have to have, but would be nice.
Also from what info I can get, only 63 & 64 columns will fit.
Thanks
Higgins
Old March 26th, 2011, 12:54 PM

hi Higgins,
Yes a tilt column will work if you transfer some of the pieces and do away with the shifter tube, I have done this for a few people over the years.
Steve
Old March 26th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Oldsdruid

I was also told 63-64 are interchangeable. I tried to put a 63 tilt column in my blue 64 and there was enough difference at the lower bearing area that it would not work.

May have just been my experience. I sold the thing at a considerable loss because I ended up paying for it twice- the absentminded Californian I bought it from forgot to cash the bank check I sent him, and when he remembered to cash it nearly 10 months later, the bank out there wouldn't honor it. More than 180 days since issue.

Should have just told him tuff shushu, but I have always prided myself on doing business honestly and fairly.
Old March 27th, 2011, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Oldskeeper
hi Higgins,
Yes a tilt column will work if you transfer some of the pieces and do away with the shifter tube, I have done this for a few people over the years.
Steve
Originally Posted by rocketraider
I was also told 63-64 are interchangeable. I tried to put a 63 tilt column in my blue 64 and there was enough difference at the lower bearing area that it would not work..
Thanks for the info.
Higgins
Old March 27th, 2011, 09:08 AM

I really do know how to spell "steering". I just noticed I had two Rs instead of Es.
Old March 27th, 2011, 10:03 AM

I have not tried to change year to year, only changed model and convert column shift to floor shift, I rebuilt a starfire column for a 64 for a friend when his wheel became sloppy and floated around and converted a column shifter to a floor shifter.
When I changed the shifter tilt coulmn to a floor shifter column I machined up a new piece where the shifter lever mounts,you could grind off the mounting flanges and fill the hole with epoxy. I have a lathe so making a new part isn't a big deal.
Steve
Old March 27th, 2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Oldskeeper
I have not tried to change year to year, only changed model and convert column shift to floor shift, I rebuilt a starfire column for a 64 for a friend when his wheel became sloppy and floated around and converted a column shifter to a floor shifter.
When I changed the shifter tilt coulmn to a floor shifter column I machined up a new piece where the shifter lever mounts,you could grind off the mounting flanges and fill the hole with epoxy. I have a lathe so making a new part isn't a big deal.
Steve
Since my column is a floor shift non-tilt, would I still have to use the collar off the column shift tilt and weld up the hole or can I use the one off mine with no shift lever? I've never seen a tilt-column up close to see the differences.
Higgins
Old March 27th, 2011, 11:11 AM

I think it should be OK, all my cars are tilt so I have to look at my spare part stach and see if I still have the old part, I purchased a tilt floor shift column from a guy and he sent me a column with a shifter so I just turned up a piece and it worked fine.
I'll look into it later in the week and get back to you
Steve