Should I be worried?

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2009, 07:56 AM

Should I be worried?

I put my 71 cutlass supreme up on jack stands (front only, rear stayed on the ground) to change the starter. When I did this, I was no longer able to open the drivers side door (pass. side was fine) the reason I could not open the drivers side door was the gap between the fender and door shrunk.

Should I be worried, and what should I look at? The frame has no visible damage beyond being bent up a little in the middle due to a poor choice in jack placement years ago.

It's been stored for years, but I have had to put it on jack stands more than once with no problem. any thoughts on where to look, or how to approach this?

Thanks! ~Mike
Old December 3rd, 2009, 08:07 AM

Check the frame with a hammer and and old screw driver in all areas. Your frame should not flex enough to cause the door to stick.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 08:13 AM

Had the same problem with my F85 when I had it on a single center post lift. Took car off lift and door open fine. You had the jack stands under the frame just under the front of the doors correct? Its just the frame flexing from the weight of the front end and motor. My fenders are rusted out on the bottom and I sure that has something to do with it. My frame is solid and rust free. I wouldn't worry about it, but would check the frame out just to be sure. JKaz
Old December 3rd, 2009, 08:46 AM

Thanks Citcapp & Kaz!

Kaz, this is good news, as I know the dr.side f fender is rusted almost clean through, while the pass. side is intact. I will still go through a complete investigation.

I was thinking perhaps a body mount issue or something, as the dr. side fender has practically come unglued at the bottom.

I appreciate the tip on technique citcapp! I will do it that way.

What makes the process tough for me, is that after sitting for so long there is soooooo much rust underneath this thing. It's really depressing, as it was far less rusty when I parked it some 12 years ago. I guess I have a real project on my hands....

Thanks again guys!
Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:41 AM

Yep nothing more then the frame flexing. I have been told that a good sound A body frame will flex as much as a 1/2 inch or more.