Rear Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2008 | 06:45 AM

Rear Suspension?

I noticed, the other day, that the rear wheel opening on the passenger side is about an inch and a half lower than on the driver side. When viewed from the rear, the car has a slight tilt to the passenger side.

Now I will admitt that the shocks are many years old but the ride is still comfortable and fluid and I am leaning toward the springs as the problem.

Any thoughts on cause and/or resolution, before I start buying things I don't need, would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert
Old August 31st, 2008 | 06:01 PM

Sounds like springs to me, but you might as well do the shocks at the same time. You will need to drop them to get the springs out any way, and they don't cost that much considering safety and economy in the equation
Old August 31st, 2008 | 07:23 PM

And since you are doing springs and shocks, maybe it is time to do the bushings also... I know you do not want to hear that, but if they are as old as the car, I think some new ones will improve handling.They may even be the cause of your tilt, if I am thinking right about how bushings are made.I will be doing rear suspension in another couple years or so...
Old September 1st, 2008 | 03:18 PM

Those would be "Body Mount Bushings"?
Old September 1st, 2008 | 07:15 PM

more likely the rear suspension. The body mounts probably are worn, but would not cause a tilt in the rear end. some thing is fatigued in the suspension most likely. Without physically seeing it it is hard to pinpoint accurately, but best guess is springs. shocks need to be removed to get the springs out, bushings are likely worn. with the axle dropped, now would be the time to go through the whole thing. save time and money doing it all at once. unless you are doing the work, then you just save time and hassle
Old September 3rd, 2008 | 03:20 PM

Listen guys....I know that I am not a "CAR" person as far as mechanics goes but this thing about 'bushings'.....well I have the shop manual and I looked under the vehicle and I have coil springs. Coil springs have a little clamp affair to hold the spring in place but no bushings.

If I had leaf springs I can see that I would have bushings but I do not see the bushings in a coil spring suspension.

If I am missing something here, please educate me.
Old September 3rd, 2008 | 05:15 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by New'n72
Listen guys....I know that I am not a "CAR" person as far as mechanics goes but this thing about 'bushings'.....well I have the shop manual and I looked under the vehicle and I have coil springs. Coil springs have a little clamp affair to hold the spring in place but no bushings.

If I had leaf springs I can see that I would have bushings but I do not see the bushings in a coil spring suspension.

If I am missing something here, please educate me.
The bushings are in the four control arms that locate the rear axle to the frame. Actually, the lower control arms have two bushings each, the uppers have one in the arm and one in the rear axle housing. If the rubber wears out and deteriorates, the axle can get out of alignment. Personally I think this is a long shot. My money is on springs. It's very easy to replace the rear coil springs. Also be sure that the upper spring pocket in the frame isn't damaged. I had a 70 Supreme that had a crack in this upper spring pocket, causing that side to sit low.
Old September 3rd, 2008 | 06:32 PM
Registered

I think you're missing the instructions, a 1972 Chassis Service Manual. This is one place that is highly recommended but there are others if you search around. They turn up on evilbay cheaper once in a while.

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/default.cfm

The car could have a bad or worn front spring too, push down the left front an inch and the right rear will go up two. I have seen a lot more broken and fatigued front springs than rears but they all can have problems. The rear could be worn or broken too, just saying you can't rule out the front. Nothing holds the rear springs in but tension, jack up the car high enough and you can just reach in and take them out. Using the proper hydraulic floor or bottle jack and jackstands of course, never use the bumper jack for anything except for show, emergencies, or self defense.
The manual walks you through every step, even if you don't do the work it is always good to have an idea what they are doing or did, and almost everybody needs one for their respective years and models, even if they know cars.

Allan

Last edited by Bluevista; September 3rd, 2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old September 4th, 2008 | 09:42 AM

Isn't this a common problem on A bodies? .

I recall reading a post where a Cutlass owner completely redid the rear suspension and still had a body lean. Make sure you search our site and ROP before buying parts.

Last edited by Olds64; September 4th, 2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old September 4th, 2008 | 12:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Olds64
Isn't this a common problem on A bodies? .

I recall reading a post where a Cutlass owner completely redid the rear suspension and still had a body lean. Make sure you search our site and ROP before buying parts.
I read the same one and a few others because I thought the Vista was leaning, they do when you fill them up with that big tank on the side. I go to cruise-ins and half the A bodies are leaning, and you're right, sometimes nothing can get rid of it from what I read. The only way you can really tell is put it on a level drive-on lift and look close. They are really sensitive to the surface and grade they sit on for some reason, soft springs and frame geometry? If a car is sitting out of square with the garage door there is an optical illusion and they look like they are leaning too. Maybe the bodies and frames are twisted and have taken a set from hard launches over the years? Could be a lot of things, like Bo Duke and Steve McQueen driving styles.

Allan
Old September 5th, 2008 | 05:34 PM

This may be obvious but swap your rear springs side to side. If the lean changes sides, it is the springs. If not, it is something else.
Old September 27th, 2008 | 06:44 AM

I replaced the springs on both sides and the shocks. Looks great now. Rides a little higher, which I like. I'll post pictures when I get a chance to take a few.
Old September 27th, 2008 | 07:39 AM

Old September 28th, 2008 | 09:38 AM

New Top and Rear Springs and Shocks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
New Top 010.jpg (60.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg
New Top 011.jpg (69.2 KB, 12 views)
Old September 28th, 2008 | 01:53 PM

Looks nice