rear bumper

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2008, 07:46 AM

rear bumper

i have a 71 cutlass 4dr and im trying to replace the entire backup light. i dont have anything that can reach the screws for the lights since they are on the inside of the bumper at an angle. should i take off th bumper? is that hard and how do you do it?
Old March 2nd, 2008, 01:03 PM

Yes, you should take off the bumper. It is held on by 4 bumper bolts. I believe they are 11/16, I am not positive. Lay on your back and reach up under the rear bumper, you should be able to get a socket on them. If they have never been removed, they probably are rusted so try some penetrating oil and let soak. The bolts are carriage type and lock themselves into square holes thru the bumper. A lot of times these holes end up getting rounded and the bolt just spins so you end up putting a pair of vise grips on the chrome part and end up ruining them and the scratching the bumper. You will also have to disconnect all the rear lights which can be done from inside the trunk. Chances are you will probaly have to replace the bumper bolts. Once the bumper is off the light housings are easy to get at. Watch out for scratching the paint on installing.