Raditor swap

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2011, 10:24 AM
No it's not a parts car!!

Raditor swap

I am in the process of changing from a 3 core to a 4 core radiator.
I set the new radiator into the exsiting mounts in the core support and the radiator did'nt look right.( leaning back at the top) 2011-12-16084521.jpg?t=1324143281
SO... I moved the lower brackets inwords towards the motor.First picture is original location and the second is new location.

Old

2011-12-16085352.jpg?t=1324141993

New...

2011-12-17095459.jpg?t=1324141934

Then I installed the radiator and it looked straight (plumb) in the core support.

2011-12-16084617.jpg?t=1324142024

Next I attached the fan shroud and found out that the lower tabs would need to be moved inword also. This is how it should fit.

2011-12-17095333.jpg?t=1324141953
The problem is that with the radiator installed the shroud wont fit between the shroud tabs and radiator. So now I think I should have moved the top insulator brackets on the radiator cover instead of the lower ones.Does anyone know if the upper insulator brackets are located on the top cover differently for 3 and 4 core radiators?
2011-12-17095346.jpg?t=1324141943
I think I know the answer here but just wanted to get some opinions from guys who have done this swap using their original top plate.
Gary
Old December 17th, 2011, 06:17 PM

The brackets for a two row and three row rad are the same, but the brackets for a four row rad are wider and the upper plate is a different one with corresponding wider brackets and rubber insulators... What year are we working on?? '68 - '72?? On a '68, the rad cradle is a different part number and the tabs for the shoud are on the rear side of the cradle...

Last edited by Yellowstatue; December 17th, 2011 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Found more info in corner of cranium...
Old December 17th, 2011, 07:57 PM

I don't know if you found this thread, but it's a recent one about another member doing this same upgrade. There's several pictures of the top plate on this thread, but not the bottom brackets. I'll try to get some pictures of how the 4 row radiator is setup in my car as it's a factory setup. John

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tion-72-a.html
Old December 17th, 2011, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
The brackets for a two row and three row rad are the same, but the brackets for a four row rad are wider and the upper plate is a different one with corresponding wider brackets and rubber insulators... What year are we working on?? '68 - '72?? On a '68, the rad cradle is a different part number and the tabs for the shoud are on the rear side of the cradle...
My car is a 72. I have the original top plate that was in the car(3or4 core type). The old radiator that I removed a couple years ago because of leaks was a 3 core. The original rubber insulators are the same overall size of the 4 core ones the differance is that the left side is made to fit the narrower tank on the driver side. The one in the picture in my first post is the original for the passenger side tank which is the same size as the 3 core rad. I bought new 4 core brackets from the parts place to replace the original rusted ones, which are the same size used for the 4 core. From what I was told by the radiator shop that sold me the new radiator the only differance between a 3 and 4 core radiator on the 72 A-Body was the passenger side tank is smaller thus the special insulators otherwise it should fit the same way with new 4 core insulators. IICR because the core on the 3 core sits to the front of the tanks as it sits in the car it gave more room for the fan shroud to fit.
2011-12-16084718.jpg?t=1324142003
I think that at this point I am going to take the new lower brackets back out and reinstall the A/C condenser, since it will go back in its proper location. then I will fit the radiator back in and set the spacing between the two.If anyone has pictures of the location of the upper and lower brackets and shroud tabs for an original 4 core with A/C that would be great.
Thanks for your replys
Gary
Old December 17th, 2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I don't know if you found this thread, but it's a recent one about another member doing this same upgrade. There's several pictures of the top plate on this thread, but not the bottom brackets. I'll try to get some pictures of how the 4 row radiator is setup in my car as it's a factory setup. John

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tion-72-a.html
Thanks John, Ill check it out. I thought that this was going to be easy LOL
Old December 17th, 2011, 08:43 PM

Here a link to all my radiator swap pictures so far
http://s1114.photobucket.com/albums/...e442/radiator/

Last edited by Schne442; January 7th, 2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old December 17th, 2011, 10:06 PM

>Top Plate - Yours is correct....factory 4 row brackets spot welded on, etc....nothing wrong there.

>When you do a "conversion" from 3 to 4 row you typically need to install the 4 row brackets at the BOTTOM OF THE RADIATOR/SUPPORT in a position CLOSER to the motor.

>The fan shroud tabs at the bottom of your support appear to be in the right spot..I'm pretty sure they were in the same spot from the factory regardless of which radiator you have (3 or 4)

>The top plate, when installed and viewed from the side or either end, WILL HAVE a slight upwards angle or orientation to it....it doesn't sit perfectly horizontal as the top of the radiator puts it at this slight angle.

SHRINK YOUR PICS....it'll be A LOT easier to see what's going on there.

EDIT: I looked at some of your photobucket pics (the 7th and 8th pics in your photobucket attachment)...you have the lower brackets TOO CLOSE to the motor. Move them back towards the front of the car some. The motor side edge shouldn't be flush with that back edge of the support metal (the metal edge under the brackets). The brackets should be "back" from that edge...15/16" or maybe 29/32".

Last edited by 70Post; December 17th, 2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old December 18th, 2011, 06:51 AM

I found your comment about the one small tank and one large interesting. Over the years I've only owned one 1972 Cutlass and it had a 2 row radiator core. I've seen the full sized cars of this vintage have one large tank and one small. Then they also have the one bushing made to fit the wide saddle and small tank. But the 1969-71 A-body cars I've come across were all both large tanks with the 4 row top plate and radiator, or both small with the 2 or 3 row radiator and top plate. Since you had the smaller saddles at the bottom, did your top plate have both sides with the bushing adapting the large saddle to the small tank?

OK, I just read back through your post. I believe your car came factory with a 4 row radiator and some previous owner replaced it with a 3 row. I think your radiator shop is mixing up the A-body with the full sized. If your bottom brackets fit the 4 row previously then I believe they were in the right location. The 3 row radiator has smaller saddles at the bottom. It could be the lean you saw was correct, and I'll try to get some photos of my 1971 Cutlass wagon today. I'm pretty sure it's the original 4 row and not been messed with. John
Old December 18th, 2011, 08:55 AM

John, the radiator that I replaced was not the original Harrison one. From what I can remember the tank on the left side (drivers)was the smaller one and had the special insulators top and bottom. I am using the old insulators from the right side for the new 4 core radiator (there still good)
I pulled the new lower brackets back out and will reweld them back into the original location of the old ones and see how that works. I took lots of pictures over the years of disasembly but dont have one showing the radiator orientation in the core support. It just looked odd when I originaly put the new radiator into the original brackets.I guess I just started to over think this thing.
Thanks again
Gary
Old December 18th, 2011, 12:40 PM

Gary, it sounds like your on the right track. I did take some pictures of my wagon with the 4 row. The radiator is in the car and the shroud is missing, but I got a few shots with a tape measure at different locations. If there's any other view that would help let me know and I'll try to get it for you. At this point the pictures may do little more than confirm what you already have decided. But this topic comes up often enough I thought it would be helpful to start a folder of pictures for radiators and top plates. John

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...w%20Radiators/
Old December 18th, 2011, 05:12 PM

John, Thanks. The pictures conferm what I thought now just to get it done.
Thanks again
Gary