Questions on My Front End Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2019, 02:42 PM

Questions on My Front End Rebuild

I have a couple of questions on my front end rebuild. It is a 1968 Cutlass Convertible car. Took out 350 and putting in a 455. I am replacing the front springs. I purchased my springs through Detroit Spring. I asked springs for a 442 which would have the 400 big block since I am switching to the 455.

My questions are regarding the springs. The original springs for the 350 are taller than the new springs for the 455. Is this normal? I do think the new springs are maybe a little heavier in the coil diameter. Also the Detroit Spring website listed some spacers to go along with the springs so I purchased a pair of the spacers. I’m not sure that I should be using the spacers. There were no spacers in the old springs that I removed. I see in the assembly they list a spacer but as far as I can make out it was just used on one side and just for certain cars.

Im getting ready to put everything back together again and want to make sure u do it right the first time. I do not want to take this apart again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old September 12th, 2019, 03:29 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

New spring diameter looks thicker. You have 2 different springs rates there. Obviously the new one is made for the heavier BB.
IMO I wouldn't use the spacer, but I don't manufacture modern springs thus not the resident expert. Did you ask why they recommend the spacer?

The spring should fit tightly, unsprung (no weight on the chassis) with the BJs loosely bolted together and shock loosely installed to test fit. If it's tight lose the spacer.

Is that spacer rubber or metal?

Be sure it lines up with the top and bottom pockets.
Old September 12th, 2019, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Call Detroit spring and ask about the spacer. I personally would try it and see.
Old September 12th, 2019, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tjohn8573
The original springs for the 350 are taller than the new springs for the 455. Is this normal? I do think the new springs are maybe a little heavier in the coil diameter.
Yes, that's normal.

Here's what the new 5536 springs looked like compared to my originals. Interestingly, the front sat the same height with the new springs as it did with the 40 year old sagging originals.

Old September 12th, 2019, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
New spring diameter looks thicker. You have 2 different springs rates there. Obviously the new one is made for the heavier BB.
IMO I wouldn't use the spacer, but I don't manufacture modern springs thus not the resident expert. Did you ask why they recommend the spacer?

The spring should fit tightly, unsprung (no weight on the chassis) with the BJs loosely bolted together and shock loosely installed to test fit. If it's tight lose the spacer.

Is that spacer rubber or metal?

Be sure it lines up with the top and bottom pockets.
The spacer a poly or rubber not metal.
Old September 13th, 2019, 02:31 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

You're the guinne pig... post your findings when you get the correct answers for search traceability here.
OEM didn't require a plastic spacer thus my suggestion to not use it unless Eric or Eaton insists.