Power disk/drum to Manual disk/drum

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2018, 10:28 AM

Power disk/drum to Manual disk/drum

i am converting my power stock front disk rear drum to the same setup but with manual brakes. I understand I need a 1" bore master with a different pushrod used on the top hole on the brake pedal. My question is whether I need a pushrod retainer on the master cylinder of I use a deep pocket master cylinder such as this one from a manual brake corvette. Not concerned about it looking stock.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/raybestos,MC36367,master+cylinder,1836

as far as a pushrod setup would something like this work or would I be better off making one, heard some people use a grade 8 3/8 bolt

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-cpmpr-u2

Also in this scenario I will use an adjustable proportioning valve with a 10lb residual going to the rear drums since I believe the corvette master is originally setup for 4 wheel disk. Does this sound like a decent setup? Anything I am missing?Also sorry for the duplicate I'm not sure exactly how that happened. Hopefully someone can delete the first post because I cannot figure out how. Thanks

Last edited by Taylor442; January 15th, 2018 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Duplicate
Old January 15th, 2018, 10:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Inline Tube sells the correct pushrod, boot, and retainer. This really isn't a place to mess around.

Originally Posted by Taylor442
Also in this scenario I will use an adjustable proportioning valve with a 10lb residual going to the rear drums since I believe the corvette master is originally setup for 4 wheel disk. Does this sound like a decent setup? Anything I am missing?
What you've suggested will work. That's the same setup I've got for my 64 Vista. I went with the "Corvette" master and a separate residual pressure valve to preserve the option of four wheel discs later.
Old January 15th, 2018, 10:55 AM

Awesome thanks Joe. I will look into that stuff from inline. Also just realized I had this in the wrong section too. One of those days I guess.
Old January 15th, 2018, 11:05 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

@ Joe. I will be doing manual brakes but will be keeping my drum/drum set up ? will I need the residual valves on both ends ??? I also plan on using the corvette style master. Not to hijack the thread but I haven't found someone who has kept the drum drum combo and used the particular parts I'm using. but since The op is using the same master I'm curious to know and will be following along .
Old January 15th, 2018, 11:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
@ Joe. I will be doing manual brakes but will be keeping my drum/drum set up ? will I need the residual valves on both ends ??? I also plan on using the corvette style master. Not to hijack the thread but I haven't found someone who has kept the drum drum combo and used the particular parts I'm using. but since The op is using the same master I'm curious to know and will be following along .
The (correct) stock master for drum/drum systems has the residual pressure valves built in to the outlet ports, so yes, if you have an M/C without them, you need to plumb the valves separately. Of course, the next question is, why wouldn't you just use the correct M/C and avoid the extra cost and plumbing?
Old January 15th, 2018, 01:36 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I wanted to use the lightweight aluminum master from speedway. I also intend to go to wildwood brakes in the front down the road.

Last edited by coppercutlass; January 15th, 2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old January 15th, 2018, 03:04 PM

Another follow up question, do I need a 2 inlet 3 outlet combination/prop valve or can I run the front outlet of the master cylinder to a T fitting and then to each front disk and the rear outlet of the master cylinder to a 1 in 1 out adjustable prop valve and then to the rear of the car.
thanks
Old January 15th, 2018, 03:09 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Taylor442
Another follow up question, do I need a 2 inlet 3 outlet combination/prop valve or can I run the front outlet of the master cylinder to a T fitting and then to each front disk and the rear outlet of the master cylinder to a 1 in 1 out adjustable prop valve and then to the rear of the car.
thanks
You can do the latter. The only reason why the factory combo valves have the front and back plumbing meet in one block is for the differential pressure switch that lights the BRAKE light on the dash if you have a leak in half of the brake system. Of course, the BRAKE light comes on just about the time your foot hits the floor, so I've never really seen the benefit.
Old January 16th, 2018, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
You can do the latter. The only reason why the factory combo valves have the front and back plumbing meet in one block is for the differential pressure switch that lights the BRAKE light on the dash if you have a leak in half of the brake system. Of course, the BRAKE light comes on just about the time your foot hits the floor, so I've never really seen the benefit.
That is certainly in there, but isn't there also a metering valve on the front that slightly delays the pressure rise on the front so the rear can overcome the springs?
The metering valve isn't needed (it'd actually be quite bad) for all disc or all drum systems, and I can see an argument that it's not essential for disc/drum. But as I've heard on here before, "the OEM must've done it for a reason"
Old January 16th, 2018, 07:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oddball
That is certainly in there, but isn't there also a metering valve on the front that slightly delays the pressure rise on the front so the rear can overcome the springs?
The metering valve isn't needed (it'd actually be quite bad) for all disc or all drum systems, and I can see an argument that it's not essential for disc/drum. But as I've heard on here before, "the OEM must've done it for a reason"
The 1967-70 disk brake cars used an external metering valve (the one that mounted under the master cylinder) and did NOT use a proportioning valve. Olds set the front/rear brake balance by carefully matching wheel cylinder sizes.