New guy has frame work questions?

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2011, 05:25 PM

New guy has frame work questions?

Hello Everyone,
I just picked up a 72 Cutlass Supreme (the one in my avatar). I'm new to this forum but I know these places are a wealth of info when it comes to working on just about anything. Any way my car needs some work to the frame after the rear wheels (which is apparently common in A-body cars). It's not too bad yet, but I still want to replace them. Can anyone point me to a thread where this problem has been fixed? Or, does anyone know of a company that makes a replacement section of frame for back there. So, far I've found one company that makes them, but are there some that are better than others? Thanks for the help to get me started, this will be the first of many questions/posts I have.
Old November 29th, 2011, 07:11 PM

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!!!!

I have a complete frame if you're near by that is in great shape that I'll let go for a good price.
Old November 30th, 2011, 05:02 AM

I'm in Ontario.......Canada. A good replacement frame is a little hard to come by up here, that's why I'm looking at just replacing the bad sections.
Old November 30th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Just an Olds Guy

There's a fellow in Ont calls himself "The Cutlass Guy' also goes by madd442 that parts out these cars all the time. He might have a good rolling chassis. Doing a piecemeal repair on the frame would likely require it to be certified in ON?

Even with replacement frame parts, you won't get better than OEM. Do you have a flatbed? There are 2 guys in the eastern US that might be able to help you. jensenracing77 (Eric) and Oldspackrat (Scott). Couldn't hurt to send them a PM and ask.
Old November 30th, 2011, 09:57 AM

I have a nice rust-free frame,and a have a rear section,that was cut in front of the lower control arm mounts.How far are you from Erie,Pennsylvania?
Old November 30th, 2011, 10:11 AM

I really apperciate the offers for help. I'm a good 6-7 hours from Niagra Falls, so bringing a frame up from the USA is a little more than I can do right now. If I look aroung here hard enough, I may find one. I just want to keep the car on the road for now, and start a rebuild a couple years down the road.
I just brought this thing home, so if my wife sees it tore apart ALL over the garage...........I will be dead. I'm going to look into this company that sells the replacement frame section. Here's the link to their site I think.

http://autorust.com/store/index.php?...roducts_id=407

I figure if I drop the gas tank, this could take me a weekend, which is not a big deal. What do you guys think?
Old November 30th, 2011, 12:18 PM

That does not look right at all,and it looks more like a 64-67 A-body frame section.Prove me wrong though.If I could get one in my hand to mock it up,then I would know for sure.
Old November 30th, 2011, 01:26 PM

I'm not 100% either on the frame pieces either, that's why I'm asking on here. I'll keep checking on-line and doing searches on here. The answers I need are in here somewhere.
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Try this: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...s/madd442.html
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Maker of bad decisions

I wasn't able to find repair pieces, so I bought a used frame (from jensenracing77). I too found my bad frame shortly after I brought mine home, but luckily my wife has been very understanding. Behold the glory! Its like a saltine cracker!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG00206-20110821-0820.jpg (73.9 KB, 25 views)
Old December 1st, 2011, 05:18 AM

AllanR- thanks for the link. I did check it out and I will be calling him soon.

80CutlasCalais- I saw the pictures of your frame during my searches and it scared the .........poop out of me. Thankfully my frame is nowhere near that bad. Mine is rusted just on the underside portion. Really, I could make some templates out of cardboard and transfer them to metal. Then cut them out and weld them on. I may just do that for now.

I've had more time to get into the whole "Cutlas" thing now, and I'm getting excited. Now I've got some plans to put into action over the next few years.

1) Get a rust free frame and build it into a pro-touring chassis
2) Get a body job done and make the car into a Hurst/Olds clone
- I just bought a complete Hurst Dualgate shifter and console
- I still need to get some bucket seats, sport mirrors, ram air hood, and other bits and pieces.

The tricky part will be getting this all done without my wife figuring out what I'm doing. This will be my fifth build, but my first Olds. I'll be on this forum alot.