How to mount body bushings

Search this Thread

Old September 28th, 2014, 11:56 PM

How to mount body bushings

Hello!
As some of you may know I´m working on my 66 F85 and have a question to all professionals in this forum:
How do I have to mount the body bushings? Do anybody have a link, pictures or something because I´m a little confused how to mount the parts? Which part belongs where?

Thank you very much,

Daniel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
376871-1000-0.jpg (173.7 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by 1966Oldsmobile; September 29th, 2014 at 03:09 AM.
Old October 5th, 2014, 07:23 PM

I am not a professional anymore, but I have replaced body bushings on two '67 convertibles. The bushings fit between the frame and the body to cushion vibration and noise between the two. The bushings will have a small raised portion that fits into the hole in the frame, the larger portion of the bushing sits on top of the frame. The body then rests on top of the bushings. There is a donut of bushing material (rubber or polyurethane) that fits up through the large holes in the frame and around the raised portion of the bushing itself. The bolts fit through the larger holes in the bottom of the frame with a large washer to hold the donut in place. When the bolt is tightened the bushing and donut will compress slightly and clamp the body down on top of the frame. I don't have any pics of the process but I hope this helps.
Old October 5th, 2014, 07:38 PM

Good explain
If the holes in the frame are rotted larger than the rubber's small diameter that should fit, then weld a patch piece [e.g. farm store washer] in place.

Oh and put the fuel lines on the frame before the body goes on. A LOT easier.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 03:00 PM

Guys:
Trying to get the body back on my 66 Cutlass, I was finally able to locate the correct bushings from Fusick. When we pulled the body off, I made a diagram of where each bushing came off, somehow the diagram was lost. The new set has 2 bushings that are different, they have a cone shaped recessed area in the steel sleeve instead of the flat top that most have. I have the OEM chassis and body manuals, but they do not show a closeup view of the bushings. The manual does say that #1-2 and #6-7 are the same, so possibly #3 in the front floor cross member?
Thanks, Ron