Fan shroud mounting brackets....

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2009, 06:27 PM
1972 Cutlass 455

Fan shroud mounting brackets....

Where do I get them? I have a 1972 Cutlass 455, and I have the clips that connect the top of the shroud to the radiator support, but I cannot find the lower ones anywhere. Does anyone know where/if I can get them? At the very least does anyone have a good quality picture of them so I could fab something up? Any help would be great!
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:44 PM

not sure where to get them. Here is a picture.

Here is a picture through the grille on a 70 cutlass supreme (driver's side). You should be able to fab something with some thin sheetmetal. I hope the picture link works. Tom.

fanshroudbracket.jpg
Old January 5th, 2009, 07:16 PM

I would just make a little bracket like the one in Toms pic, but I have seen a guy on e-bay that sells alot of olds stuff, he has them from time to time.

Heres a link.

Last edited by Eric Anderson; January 5th, 2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:13 PM

You may not be clear enough here.

There are also J clips on the bottom of the shroud....the things in the pics are just the metal tabs that sit in front of the shroud tabs at the bottom. On the plastic tabs on the bottom of the FAN SHROUD there should be a Jclip/JNut that slips on over each plastic tab.

The attaching screws pass FIRST through the metal tabs (in the pic above---they are spot welded to the bottom of the rad support) and then screw into the plastic tab/JNut on the fan shroud.

Unless you have a non-ac or a non-heavy duty core support, you should have the metal tabs on your support anyway. Do you need the JNuts?....or the metal tabs?.....or both?
Old January 13th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

InLine Tube has them.
AL
Old January 14th, 2012, 06:45 PM

I just went through Inline Tube's online catalog and didn't see them. Any idea of the part number?
Old January 14th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Tucsonbob
I just went through Inline Tube's online catalog and didn't see them. Any idea of the part number?
Absolutely, here you go
Pn# - INL10390 - 2pc $16.00 Set
1969-72 Cutlass Core Support Lower Fan Shroud Mounting Tabs
These are used to mount the plastic fan shroud to the front core

support, welded in place.

Page 130 of the Olds catalogue
Old January 14th, 2012, 07:04 PM

Thank you.
Old February 12th, 2012, 03:59 AM

Looking at my 72, mine are missing too. The original owner had an after market A/C unit installed, so the fan shroud was removed as well as the fan clutch and fan. A RV fan was installed. Now that I'm re-doing the whole car I have decided to put it back the way it's supposed to be and looking at this thread, I know I'm missing these tabs.
Old February 12th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by myolds72
The original owner had an after market A/C unit installed, so the fan shroud was removed as well as the fan clutch and fan. I know I'm missing these tabs.
If your car never had A/C or HD cooling it likely did not have the shroud or fan clutch. So I'm going to venture a guess that the reason you don't have those tabs is they were never installed in the first place. From the factory they were welded in place. Take a close look on the lower rad support for any evidence of that - prolly won't see it. There should be a small indent showing where the tabs are supposed to go as a reference though.
Old February 12th, 2012, 09:59 AM

I purchased a pair from 70post (Patton Glade) a year ago. They worked great. My 70 Cutlass did not come with a fan shroud, and I wanted to install one for better cooling.

Patton has awesome parts, and is very knowledgeable on our cars, and loves to share his wisdom. An asset to the Olds Community.

Terry
Old February 13th, 2012, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
If your car never had A/C or HD cooling it likely did not have the shroud or fan clutch. So I'm going to venture a guess that the reason you don't have those tabs is they were never installed in the first place. From the factory they were welded in place. Take a close look on the lower rad support for any evidence of that - prolly won't see it. There should be a small indent showing where the tabs are supposed to go as a reference though.
it never had A/C. What fan was used on the non-A/C cars? I was going to put a fan ans clutch in.
Old February 13th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

it never had A/C. What fan was used on the non-A/C cars? I was going to put a fan ans clutch in.
The fan on non AC cars was the 4 blade with a spacer off the water pump. Whatever you do, DON"T go back to that. DO go with the fan clutch. Chances are good that you'll end up changing the water pump too, and you'll need the proper water pump 2 groove pulley.

Recently I found out that a non fan clutch fan system can rob huge amounts of hp, so I'd go with it if I was you. Non of the cars without AC will have the fan shroud mounting tabs welded on. When you get to the stage of installing it, there's some info you need in the AM to make sure the fan doesn't hit the side of the shroud. You put shims between the top of the shroud and the upper rad support.
I'm attaching a link from the Wild About Cars website (membership is free and they have a lot of great Olds info there). I'm using the 71 AM because the pages are laid out horizontal - the info is exactly the same for 72 but the 72 AM is 'sideways' and harder to read. (see page 11-112) http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...11__Part-1.pdf
Old February 13th, 2012, 06:43 PM

another thing I'll have to do is drill the holes in the upper rad support. It's going to be awhile before I put this back together. My whole car is stripped and apart. I have a tread in the major build forum "today was the day". I need to get a fan and clutch also.
Old February 13th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Just an Olds Guy

another thing I'll have to do is drill the holes in the upper rad support.
??? Your existing upper rad plate should already have the holes in it. Does it look like the one below? If it does, the holes are already there, and the one at the top right is for the rad hose clip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2021.JPG (62.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg
0519_3.jpg (50.9 KB, 40 views)
Old February 14th, 2012, 02:55 PM

??? Your existing upper rad plate should already have the holes in it. Does it look like the one below? If it does, the holes are already there, and the one at the top right is for the rad hose clip.
I'm pretty sure mine dosen't have the large holes for the fan shroud.I have the little one. I check it tonight when I go to the shop.
Old February 15th, 2012, 07:12 PM

I checked my upper rad support and I do not have the holes for the fan shroud.
Old February 15th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You can drill the holes yourself, or buy a different rad top support. If you need dimensions, I can take pics for you. LMK, ok?

You have a body shop doing the work so they should be able to drill them out pretty easy. As you can see the holes are oval to allow for fitment. The shop can also weld the mounting brackets onto the lower section of the rad support.
Old February 16th, 2012, 04:44 AM

After parting plenty of these cars,I have noticed that the cars that did not come with a shroud originally,do not have the tabs spot-welded on the bottom,and have the slightly slimmer top plate,with no provisions for a shroud.You would think that when they were mass-producing all of the core supports,they would put the tabs on all of them,but that is not so.
Old February 16th, 2012, 07:27 AM

You can drill the holes yourself, or buy a different rad top support. If you need dimensions, I can take pics for you. LMK, ok? &lt;br /&gt;<br />
&lt;br /&gt;<br />
You have a body shop doing the work so they should be able to drill them out pretty easy. As you can see the holes are oval
<br />if you could send me pics for the measurements that would be great. My friend and I are doing all the work. No shop is involved.
<br />
to allow for fitment. The shop <br />
can also weld the mounting <br />
brackets onto the lower section <br />
of the rad support.
&lt;br <br />
/<br />
If you would send me pics that would be grwa<br />
&lt;br /&gt;
Old February 16th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Just an Olds Guy

&lt;br <br />
/<br />
If you would send me pics that would be grwa<br />
&lt;br /&gt;
Don't know what happened to your post but it's full of 'computer speak' marks. I'll get some pics and send them to you.
Old February 16th, 2012, 06:21 PM

Don't know what happened to your post but it's full of 'computer speak' marks. I'll get some pics and send them to you.
Sorry I tried to reply from my iphone. If you could send me pics that would be a big help. My friend and I are doing all the work. No body shop invovled in this project. My email is myolds72@gmail.com