Control arm anchor bolt HELP

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2011, 12:53 PM

Control arm anchor bolt HELP

Hey all! I am in the process of replacing my control arm bushings/ball joints and have run into a little problem. While removing the upper control arm, I noticed that I dont have room to remove the arm off of the anchor bolts (ie alignment bolts), due to being so close to the header on the passenger side, and the steering column on the drivers side. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the bolt itself could be removed out of the frame? It is hex head on the outer side but it doesnt budge. Im assuming that they are pressed in so that they dont turn during alignments? Any help would be GREAT!
Old February 8th, 2011, 12:56 PM

The bolts are splined and they can be knocked out. You need to improvise a pry bar that can be assisted with a hammer...
Old February 8th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Old(s) Fart

The Chassis Service Manual shows the use of a pry bar bearing on a block of wood against the exhaust manifold. Unfortunately, if you have headers this may collapse the header tube (do NOT ask me how I know this... ). Be sure to thread a nut loosely onto the bolt to avoid bunging up the end threads while doing this.

If you can't get a pry bar on the end, use the nut and try tapping back and forth with a hammer to loosen.
Old February 8th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Ben

Go to harbor freight, get a big c-clamp- have a friend with a mig welded weld on old socket(upside down) (or block of metal or something solid) on one end so it can curve under the steering arm... then put a loose socket over the head under the mounting arm, and tighten the clamp. It will pop right out.

This can also be done with the same giant c-clamp and ducttape holding a block onto the end, but its a heck of a lot easier if its actually permanendtly connected to the c-clamp and won't slide around.
Old February 8th, 2011, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the replys! Rambow-I like the c-clamp idea. Ill give that a shot, and Joe, I had thought about that when Maniac said that they were removable. That was my main concern, making sure they would come out. I guess its just gonna take a little more *** to do it!