Body work questions - I'm in way over my head here!!!

Search this Thread

Old March 16th, 2008, 04:20 PM

Body work questions - I'm in way over my head here!!!

Project is starting all wrong.

First Question - 5 out of 8 of my body mount cage nuts are spun. Is my only option to cut the floor pan and trunk?? Is this a common problem?

Second Question - My RH front body mount has collapased allowing the body to sit directly on the frame. The rubber body/frame mount cushion is actually inside of the body mount with a chunk of metal bolted to it. Any ideas for a fix would be greatly appreicated. Any idea other than the obvious - Hire a professional! Thanks in advance.

68 442 convertible - Louisville, Ky.
Old March 16th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by esisson
Project is starting all wrong.

First Question - 5 out of 8 of my body mount cage nuts are spun. Is my only option to cut the floor pan and trunk?? Is this a common problem?
Unfortunately, I've not found a better way. Yes, it's very common for cars from the rust belt. While it's probably too late for you, I learned the hard way that an impact wrench is less likely to break the cage nuts loose than a breaker bar. Apparently the shocks from the impact loosen the rust between the bolt and the nut.

Second Question - My RH front body mount has collapased allowing the body to sit directly on the frame. The rubber body/frame mount cushion is actually inside of the body mount with a chunk of metal bolted to it. Any ideas for a fix would be greatly appreicated. Any idea other than the obvious - Hire a professional! Thanks in advance.

68 442 convertible - Louisville, Ky.
I've not seen that before. I assume you're talking about the boxed mounts at the base of the firewall? This is troublesome because it may indicate that your entire body shell is twisted. You'll need to cut and paste new metal to rebuild the mount, then you'll need to take careful measurements to determine if the body shell is racked.
Old March 17th, 2008, 03:24 AM

Thanks for your reply Joe!
Old March 17th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Try slipping some air wedges in between the body and frame to get some tension.