1973 Cutlass Supreme 2dr Door won't unlock

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2017, 03:23 PM

1973 Cutlass Supreme 2dr Door won't unlock

I am stuck with a stuck door. The car has power locks. The actuator works but is not unlocking the door. It activates when I lift the power switch but only lifts the interior door lock button at the window about a quarter inch. I cannot open the door with the key or the upper interior door lock button. i also cannot get the inner door panel off since one of the screws is tucked in along side the dashboard and cannot reach it. Any suggestions what I could do? Thanks..
Old May 8th, 2017, 05:02 AM

Have you tried lifting the door **** while pushing the electric door lock switch. If you can't unlock it with the key, it might have something jamming the mechanism. The latch mechanism has a lever that moves a detent that stops the button from contacting the release plate when you push the button. If your car has the lift type of handle, I don't have any experience with them, so the above might not apply to your car. I have had stuck doors in the past, and only perseverance trying different methods got them unstuck, without resorting to damaging anything.
Old May 8th, 2017, 08:31 AM
Olds Fever

Have you tried a lock tool (slim jim) yet? Maybe with the help of a lock tool you will be able to override what ever is preventing the lock mechanism from releasing...
Old May 8th, 2017, 04:22 PM

Thanks for your response guys. I did succeed to get the door open but what a job! I started by removing the top door panel. I was able to loosen all the screws except the one hidden at the side of the dashboard. I decided the only way to get that off was to pry it off. When I pried the door panel far enough near the screw, I was able to expose the screw behind the panel and got a hacksaw and was able to cut through it. The top panel came right off. Then the bottom panel was a little tricky because of the interior pull handle that opens the door. I took the screws off the bottom panel and had to pop the nylon fasteners to free the bottom of the panel. I was able to loosen it enough to slide the panel off the door handle and got that free. Once I looked inside the door, I saw old grease caked up on the moving parts, especially two springs that slide on a shaft. They were basically glued on. Once I shot some carb cleaner on those springs and pushed on them with a screw driver, causing them to slide, I tried opening the door and it opened! So I cleaned up the old grease inside and regreased the moving parts. The door hinge needed a lot of lubing too. It took a while but with some patience and determination, I was able to solve a long term problem. It took about two hours. If anyone needs to do this, just be careful with the inner door metal openings as they can be very sharp.

Last edited by GlenM; May 8th, 2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old May 8th, 2017, 04:56 PM
Hookers under Hood

Glen,
Welcome to CO.
Thanks for giving us the heads up with your 73 door lock mechanism. This will certainly help many of us 73-77 guys in the event we have an issue such as yours.
Please post a pic of your car when you get a chance.

Thanks again,
Eric
Old May 8th, 2017, 05:06 PM
Olds Fever

Good to hear you solved your problem... Also, Thanks for providing a follow up as to how you solved your problem, it may help another member in the future..