1970 Front Coil Spring

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2012, 01:15 PM

1970 Front Coil Spring

I just took the front suspension apart and found what looks like isolators on the top of my coil springs . I looked at the CSM and they do not show any . Any ideas out there from you "Olds" pros ?
Old April 5th, 2012, 03:00 PM

It's hard getting into 40 year old parts of my brain sometimes, but I think I've seen those before. They would be there to prevent squeaks between the spring and frame. If they're still in good shape I'd reuse them. If not I wouldn't worry about them.
Old April 5th, 2012, 06:05 PM

Ok , I found they say "Rub-R-Ride" and a number on them of S-603 . From looking at others A-Body front rebuilds I have not seen anyone else with them . Thats why I asked . Thanks for the reply.
Old April 5th, 2012, 06:24 PM

Sounds like an aftermarket piece; they were not there from the factory. I would clean the spring and the inside pocket and reassemble without. I bet they are mushed beyond use.
Only the rear springs got the upper rubber isolators from the factory.
Old April 5th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

When I did my suspension, there were no rubber isolators in the coil pocket. There's so much pressure on that spring anyway you're not going to get any noise coming from it. I'd be more concerned that someone used the wrong springs and was trying to adjust ride height. If they are original springs, they should be 17 1/2" in height, unloaded.
Old April 5th, 2012, 07:07 PM

I was hoping you guys would chime in "Rob and Allan" . I was thinking the same thing on ride height maybe . I will measure them tomorrow .

Rob , I looked at your rebuild and saw you didn't have any on yours so I didn't feel they should be there .

Thanks guys
Old April 5th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by LX89mustang
I was hoping you guys would chime in "Rob and Allan" . I was thinking the same thing on ride height maybe . I will measure them tomorrow .

Rob , I looked at your rebuild and saw you didn't have any on yours so I didn't feel they should be there .Thanks guys
I kept my original springs. Rob decided to replace his with HD which aren't as tall, and also ride stiffer. I found that a 3' pry to reinstall the spring into the lower Control Arm worked really well. Rob on the other hand just had to kick his with his foot. I believe HD springs are about 2" or more shorter. Curious to find out what your measurement comes in at.
Old April 5th, 2012, 10:01 PM

I unknowingly had after market front spring spacers in a 1970 CS when I bought it. I had the springs replaced in a commercial shop and they reinstalled the spacers with the new springs. The front end was so lifted up that it looked like I was going for a moon launch. That is why most of us do our own mechanical work.
Old April 5th, 2012, 10:47 PM

What I was thinking of was more like a gasket instead of a spacer. I don't remember what car I saw them on.

If it says “Rub-R-Ride” it's definitely aftermarket. Rub-R-Ride was owned by Radiator Specialty Company from back in the fifties and is no longer around.
Old April 6th, 2012, 04:16 AM
72 Olds CS

rock auto shows a front spring isolater for the 72 FYI
Old April 6th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Some did, others did not. There are spacers also to lift the car from 1/2 - 2" that people have installed over the years. On A bodies you mainly find them stock on the upper side of the rear springs.
Old April 6th, 2012, 01:57 PM

Well , I measured them and they are only 15 inches long . These were found on top of the springs also . I don't know if I can get away with leaving them out now . The car will be lighter so maybe I can . What do you guys think ?
Old April 6th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by LX89mustang
Well , I measured them and they are only 15 inches long . These were found on top of the springs also . I don't know if I can get away with leaving them out now . The car will be lighter so maybe I can . What do you guys think ?
First, they could be 15" HD, but you didn't attach the pic?? Does it look like the springs have been cut?

You can always get replacement springs for your car. If you check RockAuto, NAPA, O'Reilly's, Autozone etc they can get the right ones for you. I don't know if your car has a 455, AC, FE2 or F41 suspension or not - all those things make a difference in spring selection.

Ammendment: My front springs were 16 7/8" NOT 17 1/2". My bad, I was trying to go from memory - only 1/2" out...... I also checked Rob's new HD (F41 option) springs - they were 15" too. So you could very well have HD springs in your car. But with spacers? It's one of 2 things.
a) someone chopped the original (almost 17") springs down for some bizarre reason. Maybe trying a lower nose height, then found they rubbed on the wheel opening and decided to 're adjust using spacers' instead of putting new springs
b) they are HD's but have sagged over time. What I don't get is why someone would just put a spacer in there to raise the ride height, when they could replace the spring just as easy without goofing around?